Bringing our own bottled water?

jjtimes2

Welcome to the HAL board Jjtimes2!

I normally purchase two bottles of water for my cabin. I have a small cooler which I keep them in and have my cabin steward ice down.

I like to have this to enjoy coming back from a hot day on shore.

Now I also bring a water bottle to use also.

In a post a while back about people experiencing swelling ankles and feet while on board, it was mentioned that the ships' water is salty. Anyone know if this is true.

I was just thinking the same thing, Carol. I'm inclined to bring some water with us this time to prevent the "swollen ankle syndrome".

Actually, Fred brought home a pu pu platter from a local Chinese restaurant Friday night, and my ankles blew up like balloons...I'm thinking it's the MSG. Which brings me to wonder if HAL uses MSG in the galley?

...still trying to solve the "swollen ankle syndrome" mystery! ;)

My main issue with bringing bottles of anything is the disposal problem for the ship. We bring our own containers ( our gym ones) and refill on board. The stewards are quite good about filling for us in lido; they do not like do it yourself refills with passenger bottles because if pax are not careful, mouth of bottle can contaminate spigot.

I was just thinking the same thing, Carol. I'm inclined to bring some water with us this time to prevent the "swollen ankle syndrome".

Actually, Fred brought home a pu pu platter from a local Chinese restaurant Friday night, and my ankles blew up like balloons...I'm thinking it's the MSG. Which brings me to wonder if HAL uses MSG in the galley?

Sheila,

I'm quite sure the ship does not use MSG. They know it's a very common allergy and unlike peanuts, it's hard to identify in what dishes it was used. Salt is a whole other thing though. :eek: They certainly use LOADS of salt.

I agree with Sail that the ships don't use MSG. If I have food with it in it, I get an immediate reaction. My ears start burning and I feel very sleepy and have a headache the next day.

Since we were on a low salt diet last year and not salt free, I'm going to do salt free like I did on Maasdam this summer. The food was fine and I just added a little salt to taste.

I agree with Sail that the ships don't use MSG. If I have food with it in it, I get an immediate reaction. My ears start burning and I feel very sleepy and have a headache the next day.

Since we were on a low salt diet last year and not salt free, I'm going to do salt free like I did on Maasdam this summer. The food was fine and I just added a little salt to taste.

That's a good idea. It gives you much more control over how much salt you are eating.

Good idea, Carol.

I mentioned the MSG to DH yesterday and his response was the same as yours and Judy's.

We had Chinese Friday night, and Saturday went out to dinner to a very nice restaurant...but I didn't think to ask for low sodium (or even no sodium). And I paid the price!

Thanks for all of the replies (and the welcome)! We want to make sure we have plenty of water for excursions and beach days (and don't want to pay extra for it). Silly me, I never even thought to just bring our gym bottles and refill them on the ship - that's probably what we'll do - thanks for the tip!

Archived