Royal Caribbean Secrets They Don't Tell You

Hank1468

So he didn't use the MDR at all, no breakfast or lunch? But even if he went to the WJ, those servers from the dinner in MDR often are serving him for breakfast or lunch. So no tips for those staff either? I've never heard of anyone getting money back if they had pre-paid gratuities and decided to dine elsewhere...hmmm, interesting.

I repeated it because I found it interesting. I'd never heard of that so I put it here on the tips for people to check into if they didn't eat in the dining room. This man didn't go to the Dining Room except maybe once, he said. He wasn't avoiding tipping for service. He wasn't cheap at all. He ate in the Concierge Lounge and the Specialty Restaurants. The tip is included when you purchase a meal anywhere on the ship.

This was a very kind, down to earth man from Canada who just wanted to eat in the specialty restaurants, something I could relate to after this last cruise, and felt it unnecessary to tip servers who didn't serve him. I'd be very surprised if he didn't tip the servers on the one time he went to dine there. I'm going on a cruise in April but not in a suite. My niece has never been on a cruise, so I expect we'll be going to the dining room often.

At the end of the cruise, on the last night, I got an envelope for the Concierge Lounge. This was the first time I've gotten one. Does anybody know about that? Did the higher fees for suites cover those tips or do they not, anymore? I sailed last February in a suite and didn't get an envelope. It seems strange that the pre-paid gratuities wouldn't also go out to the concierge lounge. Perhaps that's because not everybody uses it?

Also, another man in the concierge lounge told me that he doesn't register for MyTime dining because he feels like it's too much like being chained to the regular dining - you still have to list a time you're going. He said he just shows up when he wants and he gets right in. I'm set for MyTime dining but haven't chosen any times. I don't like how it puts a schedule in my life and I have to work around the entertainment, so I'm considering not listing at all.

Any suggestions on that?

We select 8:30pm for MTD BUT... will not feel obligated at all to eat then or there. We figure we will eat three times in WJ, 3 in specialty and the other nine nights in MDR. We will certainly tell the host desk when we will be absent the next night and if we will not be at the regular time (like on late port days) but we will certainly not feel chained to anything.

I think their asking to select a time is just a nudge by them to spread out the load but it is still My Time not their's so we'll show up when we want. There might be a short wait but seems it is never too long or longer than popular shore restaurants.

Several mentions of desserts and cheese tray to go from MDR.

Don't forget about room service - just have it delivered when you are ready for it - no muss, no fuss. Get your entire meal delivered and enjoy it on the balcony if you have one....

1. at the boring shopping shows they sometimes sell a small binder for $30 with $30 off a spa treatment AND a sticker for buy one, get one free DOD for the entire cruise.....

I'm sorry....maybe it's the two glasses of wine I've had while reading posts...but I can't for the life of me figure out what DOD stands for???

Can someone tell me?? Please and thank you!

I'm sorry....maybe it's the two glasses of wine I've had while reading posts...but I can't for the life of me figure out what DOD stands for???

sredish, It's not just you. I posted the same exact same query a few days ago on a different thread, and then seconds later figured out it meant "drink of the day" on my own, before anyone could even respond. I 'm not a drinker, just middle-aged! (Brain doesn't always fire on all cylinders.)

sredish, It's not just you. I posted the same exact same query a few days ago on a different thread, and then seconds later figured out it meant "drink of the day" on my own, before anyone could even respond. I 'm not a drinker, just middle-aged! (Brain doesn't always fire on all cylinders.)

OHHH! Ha. Well, it took me forever to figure out what the heck DD, DH, DS, DW, etc. meant. Maybe it's because I call my husband, "Hey you" most of the time.

OHHH! Ha. Well, it took me forever to figure out what the heck DD, DH, DS, DW, etc. meant. Maybe it's because I call my husband, "Hey you" most of the time.

Yeah, same here! All this social media stuff is still pretty foreign to me. As I also said on another thread recently, I have two teen sons who are always rolling their eyes at me in regard to such matters when they think I can't see them doing it! :rolleyes:

Edited by Lysingers

Sorry but not read all the pages of notes so apology if repeated

If you want desert but not the calories - on the first day tell the MTD that you want berries for desert and hey presto they bring them every day

Ask for extra vegetables in the MDR and a plate comes with a good mixture for the table or just you

Most likely it means drink of the day. There has been mixed discussion on here whether it is still offered or if it is offered on all ships.

Sorry but not read all the pages of notes so apology if repeated

If you want desert but not the calories - on the first day tell the MTD that you want berries for desert and hey presto they bring them every day

Yummy!! I bet you can ask for it to go also!

I had to laugh also at the people trying to figure out what things stand for, took me FOREVER to figure out "OP" :D

Several mentions of desserts and cheese tray to go from MDR.

Don't forget about room service - just have it delivered when you are ready for it - no muss, no fuss. Get your entire meal delivered and enjoy it on the balcony if you have one....

I have an important question to ask since I will be going on the Oasis with my niece in April. We will have a Central Park balcony and, with all the stress life has dealt her recently as a program manager at a fitness club, I thought she might appreciate some room service occasionally, fruit plates, desserts.....

Do you tip room service? If so, how much? :confused:

I have an important question to ask since I will be going on the Oasis with my niece in April. We will have a Central Park balcony and, with all the stress life has dealt her recently as a program manager at a fitness club, I thought she might appreciate some room service occasionally, fruit plates, desserts.....

Do you tip room service? If so, how much? :confused:

For a small order, most agree that $2 is also okay, but you should definitely give something.

Every afternoon we would order room service at about 5:00 for drinks on the veranda (our adjoining balconies). Cheese and fruit tray and a pizza to tide us over til dinner. We were fortunate enough that our TA gave each cabin 2 bottles of wine so carried us for 4 days. :D

Not really an RCI secret - but travel insurrance is about half the cost of cruise line offerings, if you are willing to shop a little on your own. Several include "cancel fo ANY reason" as long as you enroll within 15 days of your initial deposit.

• 3 months later...
I haven't had a chance to go through this whole thread, and I may have mentioned this here a while back....

When I was on the Explorer, you can get a champage card at the Champagne Bar. It was about $50.00, but it had at least 8 different types of champagne drinks on it. You aren't required to get one of each, there was one I loved that I got twice, and another time me and my husband each got one. They don't hold it to one card, one person.

Fun!!

How many glasses of Champ are included on the card? I normally buy a bottle from the Champagne Bar & they keep it icy cold for me, when they see me approach they grab my bottle & have a glass poured before I can sit down...love it!!