Crown nightmare

Drill2dk

I read this too quickly the first time and had to laugh as I (thought I had) read "saw dolphins beside the ship playing ping pong....." :)

Glad you enjoyed your cruise.

Now that would have been a sight! We saw many flying fish too! None playing ping pong! Ha!

Thanks for the laugh this morning!

Secondly, you can set your watch by the negative reviews that get posted during and around Christmas and holiday sailings. I think the ships operate above capacity, the dining rooms are stressed due to the large family groups and perhaps it is hard on the staff to be away from their families...not an excuse for anything below par, but it just seems an observation that the posts with alot of complaints are magnified around this time of year. And that phenomena is not limited to Princess!!

Very insightful and true! Add in a lot of first time cruisers, children ,the stress of travel that time of year and premium prices for less then premium service and it is going to result in a lot of people who are not having their expectations met.

A very good point... The holidays put added stress on the air travel system, the same would very likely apply to the cruise system as well..

Secondly, you can set your watch by the negative reviews that get posted during and around Christmas and holiday sailings. I think the ships operate above capacity, the dining rooms are stressed due to the large family groups and perhaps it is hard on the staff to be away from their families...not an excuse for anything below par, but it just seems an observation that the posts with alot of complaints are magnified around this time of year. And that phenomena is not limited to Princess!!

I was on the 12/10 sailing. Luckily we had smooth seas.

The norovirus started several days into our cruise and we saw them constantly spraying some special chemicals onto just about EVERYTHING.

We couldn't get our own salt or sugar, etc, but it was a minor inconvenience.

I heard from friends that remained for the next sailing that you were sailing late, due to a cleansing of the ship. To be honest, I thought that was a great idea.

This was my 8th Princess cruise, and 2nd time on the Crown. This was the first time staff not as friendly as I am used to. My room steward, I must say was fabulous. Where I noticed the biggest difference was the dining room staff. (Most of the wait staff were great).

My friends had to wait 3 days for their room air conditioner to be fixed properly. I think that was a long wait. They received a bottle of wine from Princess for their wait.

All in all, I can't complain about the cruise too much. It may not have been my favorite "personnel" on board, but it was a vacation afterall and no one ruined my time. Any vacation where I can be waited on and served is a great thing.

What this and all the posts like this boil down to is that some people see something as a nightmare and others see it as an inconvenience that can be overcome. I prefer the more resilient attitude personally and strive to live that way.

+1. "Things are usually not as bad as you feared they'd be, nor are they usually as good as you expected." I do see value in all posts though - positive or negative.

Having experienced Noro on one of our Princess cruises, I have firsthand knowledge of how unpleasant it can be, but I barely mentioned it when DH and I reviewed our second sailing aboard the Emerald Princess in January, 2009. Here are some excerpts where I refer to my single day of confinement to my stateroom that happened to be my birthday and the second formal night of the 10-night voyage:

We were delighted that the talented Astoria String Quartet was onboard for our sailing as we enjoy classical music. We missed a couple of their performances in the Atrium due to misinformation in the Patter but listened to these lovely ladies as often as possible. Astoria performed a concert in Wheelhouse on my 1/27 birthday that was spent confined to my stateroom, but I asked Mike to go even though I couldn’t. After the performance, he told them how disappointed I was that I was unable to attend, and they wished me Happy Birthday in Russian and autographed a program for me.

We enjoyed Exotique band that performed in Explorer’s Lounge and on deck. This is one of the best groups that we have seen on a Princess ship, and we watched many of their shows. I was happy to hear that Exotique was scheduled to perform at the “Champagne Waterfall” on the second formal night and asked if they would do some Motown tunes for my birthday. As with the classical concert, I was disappointed that I couldn’t attend, but the band wished me a belated Happy Birthday and played “My Girl” in my honor the following night.

There were some precautions taken during our cruise to prevent the spread of Noro. I have posted elsewhere about my brief illness that may have been a mild case of the dreaded gastrointestinal virus. Rather than include my comments here, I am providing the link if you would like to know about my symptoms and how the situation was handled. I also kept the special In Room Dining Light & Healthy Menu and will post it on a separate thread if anyone is interested.

It will take a some searching, but I will try to locate my specific posts about Noro are that are probably archived here at CC.

I hope that passengers on the Crown Princess this week have a happy and healthy holiday cruise, and I hope the virus is contained before the end of next month when DH and I are onboard.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

If they still had the Nero outbreak and had contacted the CDC, which was given by letter to all cabins, why did they not delay the next sailing liKe they did with ours? Did they think that it did not work? Or did they not want Ito delay there more expensive holiday cruise. See it's all about the money and there inept attempt to control the situation. That my problem. My problem is that it did not make sense. Princess I hope looks at this and tries to fix the problems. Please people demand better! After this I will rest with thread and take it up with princess. I'm just trying to tell u what I think. I'm trying to give u insight to my experience. All who say they would have had a good time with this situation, are lying to them selves. It's easy to say ok,when it's not u. Happy Christmas and holidays to all.

And what about the people on your sailing who reported that they had a good time?

I found my Noro post from February 1, 2009. While this wasn't the best way to "celebrate" my birthday, I managed to make it through the 24-hour confinement without blaming anyone for my misfortune, nor did the brief illness ruin the cruise for DH or me. In fact, a case of "Montezuma's Revenge" during a trip to Cancun was far worse ;)

During the wee hours of Tuesday (the 27th), the ship was really rocking and rolling. I don't often get seasick but woke several times with a knot in my stomach and dizziness. We didn't get up in time for breakfast in the dining room and went to the IC for coffee. Even while sitting, I felt faint and told DH that I really should get back to the cabin and lie down. I vomited once and had an episode of diarrhea about an hour later. Since there is always the possibility of Norovirus onboard, we reported my symptoms to Passenger Services.

A nurse called an hour or so later and wanted to know if I was still unwell. DH told her that I had taken Immodium and was resting. After the initial episode, I had no symptoms other than feeling weak and a little dizzy. Nurse Andrea said that I should stay in my stateroom and that she would contact me again later to see how I was feeling. The ship's doctor must have decided to investigate further, so the nurse came to our cabin to see me. She took my temp (low-grade fever), BP (fine), and asked me about my symptoms. I told Nurse Andrea that I thought the overnight sailing had been rough and that I had probably had too much sun, a little too much food, and too much wine, all of which contributed to my feeling unwell.

Since I had already taken Immodium and had plenty of Tylenol, the nurse didn't give me additional meds. I wasn't nauseous and didn't require an injection. The nurse requested that I remain in the cabin for 24 hours following the initial episode (11:00AM). DH was free to come and go as he pleased but was advised to not eat at the buffet. I had not eaten since dinner the night before and was encouraged to order items from a special room service menu. Nurse Andrea suggested chicken broth, rolls, and tea, and I had to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. She also made arrangements for a special cleaning team to sanitize our stateroom.

DH ordered the suggested items that were delivered promptly by a friendly and concerned crew member. He said that he hoped that I would feel better soon and wished me Happy Birthday. The cleaning team was also very caring and expressed their well-wishes. Our cabin steward, who was always attentive and personable, wasn't allowed to come into the room but expressed his well-wishes from the doorway and wished me Happy Birthday. The nurse had told him that I wasn't very sick and would most likely be able to leave the cabin the following day.

I slept for a little while and woke up feeling hungry, so I ordered Jello, crackers, and tea. I watched news programs and did some word puzzles. This wasn't exactly the way that I had intended to spend my shipboard birthday, but I was feeling much better about 12 hours after my symptoms began. I slept well during the night and ordered oatmeal, toast, and tea for breakfast. The nurse called at 10:30, and since I had experienced no further symptoms and was feeling fine, I was released from my "confinement" at 11:00. At no time did the ship's nurse indicate that I had NV, but DH and I were pleased that every precaution is taken to quell the possibility of spreading the virus among additional passengers.

DH and I rarely eat in the buffet and had breakfast there only once during the cruise on the morning that we were in St. Thomas; we had no plans and slept later than usual. If I were to attribute my brief "illness" to something very specific, it would have to be a bagel, lox, or cream cheese. Both DH and I had eggs cooked to order, DH had bacon and brown toast, while I had the bagel w/lox & cream cheese. I can't imagine someone handling lox or cream cheese without tongs, but we saw a passenger help herself to an English muffin with her bare hands. This is precisely the reason that we try to have our meals in the dining room and rarely visit HC/CC. If I did have a very mild case of Noro, the onset was within the 24-hour incubation period of the virus following breakfast in HC.

I found my Noro post from February 1, 2009. While this wasn't the best way to "celebrate" my birthday, I managed to make it through the 24-hour confinement without blaming anyone for my misfortune, nor did the brief illness ruin the cruise for DH or me. In fact, a case of "Montezuma's Revenge" during a trip to Cancun was far worse ;)

During the wee hours of Tuesday (the 27th), the ship was really rocking and rolling. I don't often get seasick but woke several times with a knot in my stomach and dizziness. We didn't get up in time for breakfast in the dining room and went to the IC for coffee. Even while sitting, I felt faint and told DH that I really should get back to the cabin and lie down. I vomited once and had an episode of diarrhea about an hour later. Since there is always the possibility of Norovirus onboard, we reported my symptoms to Passenger Services.

A nurse called an hour or so later and wanted to know if I was still unwell. DH told her that I had taken Immodium and was resting. After the initial episode, I had no symptoms other than feeling weak and a little dizzy. Nurse Andrea said that I should stay in my stateroom and that she would contact me again later to see how I was feeling. The ship's doctor must have decided to investigate further, so the nurse came to our cabin to see me. She took my temp (low-grade fever), BP (fine), and asked me about my symptoms. I told Nurse Andrea that I thought the overnight sailing had been rough and that I had probably had too much sun, a little too much food, and too much wine, all of which contributed to my feeling unwell.

Since I had already taken Immodium and had plenty of Tylenol, the nurse didn't give me additional meds. I wasn't nauseous and didn't require an injection. The nurse requested that I remain in the cabin for 24 hours following the initial episode (11:00AM). DH was free to come and go as he pleased but was advised to not eat at the buffet. I had not eaten since dinner the night before and was encouraged to order items from a special room service menu. Nurse Andrea suggested chicken broth, rolls, and tea, and I had to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. She also made arrangements for a special cleaning team to sanitize our stateroom.

DH ordered the suggested items that were delivered promptly by a friendly and concerned crew member. He said that he hoped that I would feel better soon and wished me Happy Birthday. The cleaning team was also very caring and expressed their well-wishes. Our cabin steward, who was always attentive and personable, wasn't allowed to come into the room but expressed his well-wishes from the doorway and wished me Happy Birthday. The nurse had told him that I wasn't very sick and would most likely be able to leave the cabin the following day.

I slept for a little while and woke up feeling hungry, so I ordered Jello, crackers, and tea. I watched news programs and did some word puzzles. This wasn't exactly the way that I had intended to spend my shipboard birthday, but I was feeling much better about 12 hours after my symptoms began. I slept well during the night and ordered oatmeal, toast, and tea for breakfast. The nurse called at 10:30, and since I had experienced no further symptoms and was feeling fine, I was released from my "confinement" at 11:00. At no time did the ship's nurse indicate that I had NV, but DH and I were pleased that every precaution is taken to quell the possibility of spreading the virus among additional passengers.

DH and I rarely eat in the buffet and had breakfast there only once during the cruise on the morning that we were in St. Thomas; we had no plans and slept later than usual. If I were to attribute my brief "illness" to something very specific, it would have to be a bagel, lox, or cream cheese. Both DH and I had eggs cooked to order, DH had bacon and brown toast, while I had the bagel w/lox & cream cheese. I can't imagine someone handling lox or cream cheese without tongs, but we saw a passenger help herself to an English muffin with her bare hands. This is precisely the reason that we try to have our meals in the dining room and rarely visit HC/CC. If I did have a very mild case of Noro, the onset was within the 24-hour incubation period of the virus following breakfast in HC.

You got lucky for only 24 hours and a mild case. I wasn't that lucky on the Pearl and it was the worse stomach flu I ever had in my entire 50+ year life. That probably makes a difference in cruiser's reactions a mild 24 hour case over several days, can't compare.

And what about the people on your sailing who reported that they had a good time?

After reading the thread started by the OP on the RCCL board immediately after beginning this one, the OP lacked credibility with me. He hated nearly everything about Princess & couldn't wait to return to RCCL. Based on quotes like "princess was old time cruising, activities for people in a old age home" obviously Princess wasn't for him. His other thread shows it wasn't just the norovirus/sea conditions but nearly everything was worse than RCCL for him. Everyone of us are entitled to an opinion but his lacks any objectivity which is rather useless to me. Just like someone who joins CC & chooses 'downwithprincess' as their name, not much objectivity there either.

I've sailed NCL, Sitmar, Princess, Costa, RCCL & Carnival during the past 25 years & none have caused a reaction like the OPs. Things go wrong & we each decide how to react & whether it ruins our cruise which has never happened to me nor would I allow that to happen. The OP tried Princess, hated it & allowed it to be a "Crown Nightmare" and vented their anger & hatred before returning to RCCL which provides the cruise experience desired & I wish him well. Each cruiseline has their advantages so there's something for everyone. I choose not to demean those differences but use it to find the best cruiseline for me which currently is Princess & I hope the OP enjoys their next RCCL cruise.

After reading the thread started by the OP on the RCCL board immediately after beginning this one, the OP lacked credibility with me. He hated nearly everything about Princess & couldn't wait to return to RCCL. Based on quotes like "princess was old time cruising, activities for people in a old age home" obviously Princess wasn't for him. His other thread shows it wasn't just the norovirus/sea conditions but nearly everything was worse than RCCL for him. Everyone of us are entitled to an opinion but his lacks any objectivity which is rather useless to me. Just like someone who joins CC & chooses 'downwithprincess' as their name, not much objectivity there either.

I've sailed NCL, Sitmar, Princess, Costa, RCCL & Carnival during the past 25 years & none have caused a reaction like the OPs. Things go wrong & we each decide how to react & whether it ruins our cruise which has never happened to me nor would I allow that to happen. The OP tried Princess, hated it & allowed it to be a "Crown Nightmare" and vented their anger & hatred before returning to RCCL which provides the cruise experience desired & I wish him well. Each cruiseline has their advantages so there's something for everyone. I choose not to demean those differences but use it to find the best cruiseline for me which currently is Princess & I hope the OP enjoys their next RCCL cruise.

Thank you, you are the voice of reason.;)

After reading the thread started by the OP on the RCCL board immediately after beginning this one, the OP lacked credibility with me. He hated nearly everything about Princess & couldn't wait to return to RCCL. Based on quotes like "princess was old time cruising, activities for people in a old age home" obviously Princess wasn't for him. His other thread shows it wasn't just the norovirus/sea conditions but nearly everything was worse than RCCL for him...

Respectfully edited. Thanks for your enlightening post. I rarely read other boards here at CC but read the thread that you quoted above. To each his own, and if someone is looking for rock-climbing, ice skating, bowling, shopping malls, amusement park rides, etc., then Princess is not the appropriate choice. DH and I are in our early 60s, young at heart, healthy, and fairly active in our daily lives. We appreciate the slower pace of Princess cruises and don't mind not having something to do 24/7. We don't consider reading, doing word/Sudoku puzzles, or playing Scrabble "old age home" activities ;)

And interestingly, almost all of the responders on the RCCL thread disagreed with the OP and made positive comments about Princess. They consistently seemed to like Princess at least as well as RCCL.

Well, one thing I have learned on these boards is to never tell the ship's doctor you don't feel well unless you are so ill you think you need an emergency evac to a hospital. If I am feeling nauseaus or under the weather, I will go to my cabin and rest until I get over it. Then I get to decide when I am well enough to come out. Much like at home, I can decide when I am well enough to go out. I am certainly not going to go out and mingle with people if I feel like I am about to hork. I am not a child and will not be treated like one.

Thank you, you are the voice of reason.;)

Respectfully edited. Thanks for your enlightening post. I rarely read other boards here at CC but read the thread that you quoted above. To each his own, and if someone is looking for rock-climbing, ice skating, bowling, shopping malls, amusement park rides, etc., then Princess is not the appropriate choice. DH and I are in our early 60s, young at heart, healthy, and fairly active in our daily lives. We appreciate the slower pace of Princess cruises and don't mind not having something to do 24/7. We don't consider reading, doing word/Sudoku puzzles, or playing Scrabble "old age home" activities ;)

And interestingly, almost all of the responders on the RCCL thread disagreed with the OP and made positive comments about Princess. They consistently seemed to like Princess at least as well as RCCL.

Thanks, I was hesitant to post on such a heated thread but decided to take some time to compose a reply that would hopefully say what most of us on CC...or anyone else on a cruise...would feel about cruising which is that they are all good...just some are a little bit better than others. :D

Yes, the majority of replies to the OP's RCCL post felt like most on the Princess board that while there are differences both are good cruiselines & that any cruise is still a great way to travel. :D

I tend to ignore posts that are very critical when others with the same or similar experiences are more positive.

I also ignore posters who hated everything about a cruise. If they could not fond even one thing to enjoy, well, I feel sorry for them.

My very first cruise (in 2006) was on RCCL's Radiance of the Seas. We were warned before boarding that the previous cruise had an outbreak of Noro. As we had flown in from Michigan with 8 other people, we took our chances. Two days into the cruise my husband and I were the only ones in our group to contract Noro even though we were diligent about washing and sanitizing. We were quarantined for 3 days and missed 2 ports. The ships doctor gave us an injection right away to help with the nausea and other unmentionable symptoms. No person or team came to clean or sanitize anything in our room while we were quarantined. In fact, we only received 1 phone call asking how we were feeling. We tried to enjoy our alone time as best we could considering the circumstances, and when we finally decided we were cured and set ourselves free, we made sure we enjoyed every moment left on the cruise. We were offered $250 pp credit for a future cruise that unfortunately we were unable to use because it expired within 1 year. However, I thought it was very generous that they offered the credit, especially since we hadn't asked for it.

These things can happen in any place, or on any ship with any cruiseline. I think your attitude and how you choose to handle these situations do more to determine how good your cruise will ultimately be remembered. We took our

next 3 cruises with Princess with no mishaps. But, would we ever cruise with

RCCL again after our less than stellar experience? Of course, if the price was right!;)

I tend to ignore posts that are very critical when others with the same or similar experiences are more positive.

I also ignore posters who hated everything about a cruise. If they could not fond even one thing to enjoy, well, I feel sorry for them.

Well said Paul, and as always I enjoy your insightful posts.

I also attempt to ignore those types of posters but will reply to let others know there's another point of view. I don't like threads or posts based on my cruise was ruined because of the fear that it puts into some cruisers who begin to believe such things. A recent thread was begun about poor food on the Coral which that OP based on some of the posts of a few who thought it was terrible but heard from many others that is was good.

I feel sorry for those who consider cancelling or fearing a poor cruise based on a few doom & gloom posts & try to reassure them that it is rarely a problem. ;)

Hi Ann262 and All

On one cruise I felt unwell, I went to my room called the pursars desk to report not well, was sick, doctor called said I could visit with out charge,

I said did not need him, an hour or so nurse called, then my room steward

checked in to see if I was OK, a clean up team arrived and removed bed, towels etc put in red bio hazard bags, ever thing was cleaned TV remote, carpets walls every surface, nurse called back, supervisor arrived to check cleaning had taken place now all this was in just a few hours, after a sleep I felt a lot better, an officer called can not recall now who he was but told him was a lot better everything being taken care off excellant service and care.

That night went got food,

yours Shogun

Look you have it wrong. I don't hate princess. I have been on six princess cruises. I went on my honeymoon on a med 12 day cruise. I just think i have gone on princess for past 15 yrs and it has changed allot. I was very disappointed in my last trip. I did not like the way they handled things. Look I have gone on ncl royal princess carnival Disney and have a lot of experience. But my last cruise was not that great. I have recently gone on oasis and allure and I'm sorry they do not compare. Rcl has upped there game. As, I don't see princess has. Remember it's okay to ask for better.

People ask for opinion and then get mad when state against there brand. It's my info don't take to heart, it's nothing against u personally. Don't feel like your being attacked, because I did not have a good time on my vacation. It's my info. You can do with it whatever u want. Don't hate, just makes people not want to give there honest opinion.

Yes it is your opinion. Like anything in life, there is no guarantee as to weather, passengers, illness, or what have you. You don't like it? Guess what? You don't have to give Princess your business. I would love to see how you would run a cruise that had the difficulties you did. Personally I would rather Princess be safe with my well being (sounds like they were) than to have vomitting children/passengers running amouk.

If they still had the Nero outbreak and had contacted the CDC, which was given by letter to all cabins, why did they not delay the next sailing liKe they did with ours? Did they think that it did not work? Or did they not want Ito delay there more expensive holiday cruise. See it's all about the money and there inept attempt to control the situation. That my problem. My problem is that it did not make sense. Princess I hope looks at this and tries to fix the problems. Please people demand better! After this I will rest with thread and take it up with princess. I'm just trying to tell u what I think. I'm trying to give u insight to my experience. All who say they would have had a good time with this situation, are lying to them selves. It's easy to say ok,when it's not u. Happy Christmas and holidays to all.

If Princess looked at all these posts and fixed all these problems, there would never be a ship available for us to cruise. I hope when you write Princess; you are more careful with spelling, grammar, punctuation, and cohesiveness. They tend to take carefully thought-out letters more seriously.

PS Please get over this. In the grand scheme of things, it just isn't worth it to be so upset.

So if princess was concerned with well being of there passengers, why during hanukkah services did they not pass out the food. Instead they let everyone touch all the food. Did they not consider the spread of noro then? Look we could go back and forth all day and night. Im not mad, just thought that cruise critic was for giving people your experience and opinions . Not to be judged or labeled. That's not constructive or helpful. This is truly my last response to this thread I have started. To all have a good night and happy new year.:D:)

Archived