Looks Official...Porterhouse Steak Gone!

Kreeb

When I first met my inlaws they would cook a london broil well done take it out, slice it and than broil it for about 15 minutes more to make sure the cow was really dead.

When Sheila and I were dating asked my future mother in law to take a piece off for me and do not cook it any more after the first time. She thought I was crazy but she did it. Her sons future wife comes along and asked the same thing.

Fast forward a few years and we come over after we had dinner and they were eating steak for dinner. Steak was bloody raw.

Asked her how come and said Jack (father in law) likes it that way.

You cannot make this stuff up.

Stu, I always ask for my steak rare, it's never too rare unless it's blue :-) Even as a little kid I'd go in and ask for it bloody rare!!! I think it's just too tough if it's not nice and rare...... maybe I'm a vapire at heart!!!

I'm just off the Spirit, the Porterhouse was out and the Ribeye was in. Too bad 'cause I may have gone to the Steakhouse if they still had it.

After hearing rumors, checked Carnival's site and called up Steakhouse Menu...the Porterhouse is no longer on it. Apparently another one of CutMan Cahill's smooth moves. They just sneaked this one in with no mention on FB or the Grand Poobah's Blog.

LOL - London Broil is overdone if it spends more than about 7 minutes in the oven. :p :D Yum. Haven't ever tried carpacio but am guessing I'd like it.

My mother in laws steaks would literally snap in half. Great exercise in chewing also.

I would tend to agree.

It's one thing to complain about the cheapening and dumbing down of the included fare, but this is an up charge item.

Obviously, the profit margin for the porterhouse just isn't there anymore. At least the other beef offerings are still USDA Prime.

How many would be willing to pay an extra, extra charge to retain the porterhouse?

Or a surcharge on the surcharge.

actually, i don't think i could go to an applebees, or even a denny's, and have a starter, a salad, and entree, dessert, coffee, and an iced tea for $10.

I was (kind of, but just barely) kidding. Plus - it would be difficult to put a price on the entertainment (dancing waiters)! ;) :D

For those who fully enjoy the MDR selections and ambiance, and feel that such "already paid for" fare is adequate, that's great. For those who want it kicked up a couple of notches, there are options. I am happy that they have other options, and judging by their recent changes (new pay venues - Red Frog Pub and Italian) Carnival sees the "value" there as well!

Tom

They've already "dumbed-down" the MDR fare to make the upcharge fare more attractive. Now they are doing the same to the upcharge but still charging the same amount.

Sorry, but that just doesn't seem right to me. I wasn't a big fan of the "charging for better food" because I knew it would affect the quality of the food in the MDR - and it has. Witness fried chicken, meatloaf, mac n cheese, ironed flat steak, etc. Isn't it reasonable to expect the same things to happen to the upcharge venue? Soon the MDR will offer tuna sandwiches, fried spam, beenie-weenies and pigs-in-a-blanket while the upcharge will offer fried chicken, meatloaf, mac n cheese, ironed flat steak yadda-yadda.

This is only partly tongue-in-cheek. Logic dictates that the trend will continue.

They've already "dumbed-down" the MDR fare to make the upcharge fare more attractive. Now they are doing the same to the upcharge but still charging the same amount.

Sorry, but that just doesn't seem right to me. I wasn't a big fan of the "charging for better food" because I knew it would affect the quality of the food in the MDR - and it has. Witness fried chicken, meatloaf, mac n cheese, ironed flat steak, etc. Isn't it reasonable to expect the same things to happen to the upcharge venue? Soon the MDR will offer tuna sandwiches, fried spam, beenie-weenies and pigs-in-a-blanket while the upcharge will offer fried chicken, meatloaf, mac n cheese, ironed flat steak yadda-yadda.

This is only partly tongue-in-cheek. Logic dictates that the trend will continue.

don't give them any more ideas. you may find tongue-in-cheek in the didya section on the new menues.

To be fair, you'd have to start with the cost of the MDR meal you are foregoing, then add the $30.

I'll take the challenge. Dinner in the MDR is at least $20/person (as others mentioned get a salad & entree at Applebees and you are at $20/pp.

Mortons runs a $99 for 2 promotion pretty often: http://www.mortons.com/steak/menu.php?id=MMA . Pretty nice meal.

Ruth Chris runs a promotion as well for 2 people around $100 (and you can usually get a groupon or other sites for around $79).

All in all, I've done the steakhouse onboard and enjoyed it - but I prefer the choices and variety in the MDR most of the time. I thought I would miss the shrimp cocktail every night, but managed to get my fill of shrimp every night one way or another. To each their own.

sorry, but i prefer any filet mignon/ sirloin combo in a porterhouse over any ribeye.

The porterhouse is actually a tenderloin (filet) on the small side and a NY Strip on the larger side.

I wish "they" could put together a cow which had a filet one side and a ribeye on the other! :D

Tom

The porterhouse is actually a tenderloin (filet) on the small side and a NY Strip on the larger side.

I wish "they" could put together a cow which had a filet one side and a ribeye on the other! :D

Tom

OMG! I agree 100% with that, not being a fan of the NY strip which IMO is tasty but a little chewier than I like even when prepared medium rare, unlike the tenderloin and ribeye which melt in your mouth.

Why do you say that?

Because Ribeyes are the most flavorful. Tenderloin is the least flavorful (but most tender).

Porterhouse has the strip on one side and tend loin on the other. Some supermarket Ribeyes (USDA choice) are too fatty so the Walmart contingent may not like them but when you get to then aged prime stuff that is trimmed and cooked right......omfg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Marinated Skirt Steak...best of both worlds...Tender and flavorful

jmho...from a person who grew up in a Butcher Shoppe

It is true...the more tender the steak..the less "beef" flavor

Rib Eye is called many things...Sirloin Prime Aged...it best for grilling as it is tender and juicy.

Nothing beats real oven roasted PRIME RIB though...rare to medium...if you want beef well done...get a burger

Archived