Looks Official...Porterhouse Steak Gone!

Kreeb

The Beef Carpaccio was one of my early favorites in the Supper Clubs. The portions used to be larger (imagine that), and the presentation slightly different - it used to be served with some type of fruit chutney, though that was absent the last couple of times I ordered it. The very first time I ordered it the server asked if I would like olive oil and balsamic vinegar (instead of the usual pepper - which they offer for virtually everything). It really set it a tier higher with that added flavoring. Perhaps it was just that Supper Club, or server - but it has not been offered since, though I most definitely request it!

On one sailing, the chef came out on the second or third evening just to see how everything was (we were dining in there each night), and I mentioned how much I enjoyed the Beef Carpaccio. He asked if I would like an entree portion the next evening -- and I did not hesitate. Talk about a MEAT FEAST the next night!! :D I will add here that I did not opt for the Beef Carpaccio starter that evening! ;)

Tom

Was it you that suggested ordering some wasabi on the side to add to the wasabi mash? I think it was, anyway it was an excellent hint, I did that on Miracle in October and I added to my hearts content. I LOVE wasabi!!!

Thanks!!!

Was it you that suggested ordering some wasabi on the side to add to the wasabi mash? I think it was, anyway it was an excellent hint, I did that on Miracle in October and I added to my hearts content. I LOVE wasabi!!!

Thanks!!!

That would be me! :D

I really have to give credit to Cheryl, as she is the one who initially made the inquiry about getting extra! ;)

Tom

Interestingly enough - Cheryl orders her steaks somewhere between Medium and M-Well, as she can only tolerate an "essence" of pink. That said, she has enjoyed (multiple tastes of my) Beef Carpaccio and Steak Tartare on several occasions.

Interesting! ;)

Tom

When I first met my inlaws they would cook a london broil well done take it out, slice it and than broil it for about 15 minutes more to make sure the cow was really dead.

When Sheila and I were dating asked my future mother in law to take a piece off for me and do not cook it any more after the first time. She thought I was crazy but she did it. Her sons future wife comes along and asked the same thing.

Fast forward a few years and we come over after we had dinner and they were eating steak for dinner. Steak was bloody raw.

Asked her how come and said Jack (father in law) likes it that way.

You cannot make this stuff up.

Hmmm.....I lived in the South for 29 years, was never offered a fried Spam sandwich, never knew anyone who ate fried Spam sandwiches....

...but fried baloney sandwiches are food of the gods as long as you've got some Velveeta....

If you lived in the south for 29 years and never knew anyone who ate fried Spam sandwiches, you were either a non-native who didn't mingle with the natives, or, if you were a native Southerner, then you were "uppity" and didn't mingle with the lower Spam-eating hillbillies and sharecroppers. You probably never had Vye-enna sausages with soda crackers, either. :D

And real Southerners scoff at the Mason-Dixon line. Even Tennessee and North Carolina are "border states". :p

I've had my share of spam sammitches. Yum.

That said, I have never eaten in the steakhouse because I like what the dining room serves just fine. However, my upcoming cruise next month I made reservations in the steakhouse on the Splendor. I have no idea what to order or how to order it. Considering the surf & turf cuz I like lobster but I also love a good ribeye. I'm open to suggestions but the ribeye is sounding pretty darn good. I haven't had a porterhouse steak in probably 15 years. Give me some opinions please. Also how do I order it? I like beef really pink & slightly bleeding on the plate. Not rare but I typically order medium rare in most restaurants. Is that what I order on Carnival?

Well, just my personal opinion, but if you like a good ribeye, then you'll be very happy with a medium-rare bone-in cowboy ribeye in the steakhouse. Of course, ribeye is my favorite cut of steak and when offerred the quality of meat Carnival has in the steakhouse, I will not order something else, unless I visit the steakhouse more than once during my cruise :)

Well, just my personal opinion, but if you like a good ribeye, then you'll be very happy with a medium-rare bone-in cowboy ribeye in the steakhouse. Of course, ribeye is my favorite cut of steak and when offerred the quality of meat Carnival has in the steakhouse, I will not order something else, unless I visit the steakhouse more than once during my cruise :)

What is the difference between a garden variety ribeye and the cowboy one?

If you lived in the south for 29 years and never knew anyone who ate fried Spam sandwiches' date=' you were either a non-native who didn't mingle with the natives, or, if you were a native Southerner, then you were "uppity" and didn't mingle with the lower Spam-eating hillbillies and sharecroppers. You probably never had Vye-enna sausages with soda crackers, either. :D

And real Southerners scoff at the Mason-Dixon line. Even Tennessee and North Carolina are "border states". :p[/quote']

AACK!!! Cut me to the QUICK!! Yeah it's true I'm not a native, but if it hadn't been for Vye-enna sausages and soda crackers, I never would have made it through college. And don't forget the spray-on cheese....I tell ya, breakfast of champions!! :D

Undercooked vegetables will be the death of America - if you have to fight 'em, forget 'em.

"Jaw-ja, jaw-ja, the whoooooole day through...."

What is the difference between a garden variety ribeye and the cowboy one?

According to Conchead a few pages back it means "Bone-in."

Thank you Krehberg. So it looks like I need to get either a bone-in Cowboy ribeye or a Spice-rubbed Prime Ribeye steak cooked medium rare. My mouth is watering now.:D

After hearing rumors, checked Carnival's site and called up Steakhouse Menu...the Porterhouse is no longer on it. Apparently another one of CutMan Cahill's smooth moves. They just sneaked this one in with no mention on FB or the Grand Poobah's Blog.

Why would this warrant any comment from anyone? Does your favorite restraunt inform you of every menu change? How many times do you even eat this on a cruise? Once? Seems to me like you just want to gripe about something.

The Lamb was very good....The NY Strip was good

Never ordered the Porter House as way too big

Surf and Turf has always been ok...always overcook the lobster!

for the $30 per person...does it matter that you can`t have an oversized steak?

Go to Shula`s or Ruth Chris...$30 will get you a Martini and some crackers

When I first met my inlaws they would cook a london broil well done take it out, slice it and than broil it for about 15 minutes more to make sure the cow was really dead.

When Sheila and I were dating asked my future mother in law to take a piece off for me and do not cook it any more after the first time. She thought I was crazy but she did it. Her sons future wife comes along and asked the same thing.

Fast forward a few years and we come over after we had dinner and they were eating steak for dinner. Steak was bloody raw.

Asked her how come and said Jack (father in law) likes it that way.

You cannot make this stuff up.

LOL - London Broil is overdone if it spends more than about 7 minutes in the oven. :p :D Yum. Haven't ever tried carpacio but am guessing I'd like it.

According to Conchead a few pages back it means "Bone-in."

Thank you Krehberg. So it looks like I need to get either a bone-in Cowboy ribeye or a Spice-rubbed Prime Ribeye steak cooked medium rare. My mouth is watering now.:D

Just so you know... if you order it M-Rare, it will be on the rare side of M-Rare. If it's a bit too red for your tastes, it can be sent back. I come close to ordering that particular cut Medium (to have it actually come M-Rare), but I just can't manage to say that word... by itself! ;)

Tom

Why would this warrant any comment from anyone? Does your favorite restraunt inform you of every menu change? How many times do you even eat this on a cruise? Once? Seems to me like you just want to gripe about something.

The 24oz Porter House was the flagship offering in this "restraunt" and they've discontinued it in favor of a cheaper cut.

Perhaps on your next cruise you won't mind if they throw in some oars?

I would tend to agree.

It's one thing to complain about the cheapening and dumbing down of the included fare, but this is an up charge item.

Obviously, the profit margin for the porterhouse just isn't there anymore. At least the other beef offerings are still USDA Prime.

How many would be willing to pay an extra, extra charge to retain the porterhouse?

The Lamb was very good....The NY Strip was good

Never ordered the Porter House as way too big

Surf and Turf has always been ok...always overcook the lobster!

for the $30 per person...does it matter that you can`t have an oversized steak?

Go to Shula`s or Ruth Chris...$30 will get you a Martini and some crackers

I don't care for Ruth's Chris , but was at Shula' s today

Nice ny strip is 28.00

How many would be willing to pay an extra, extra charge to retain the porterhouse?

Not many, I would wager. I know that a couple of NCL specialty restaurants have additional charges for a few choice items. Though many who sail on NCL are already accustomed to multiple pay restaurants, and cajoling another $10 or so is not a make or break issue!

Tom

I enjoyed my David's experience but was just as happy with the main dining room. I told my DH that if we eat there we go early. I hate digesting beef at 2:00am. He's the big steak fan though. So we have to go at least once.

I enjoyed my David's experience but was just as happy with the main dining room. I told my DH that if we eat there we go early. I hate digesting beef at 2:00am. He's the big steak fan though. So we have to go at least once.

It honestly takes PRACTICE to leave that place and not be uncomfortably stuffed (like you can't even manage a small burp for relief for HOURS)! We tend to skip a course - either the salad or dessert, or not clear our plates. They often will look at us (the first couple of nights we are in there) like something is either wrong with us - or question whether or not we actually like the food. I think they are used to people putting bigger dents in their offerings.

I would rather enjoy our food, and take it in measured doses so to speak, than SUFFER! There will be more tomorrow, and the next day! :)

Tom

No problem here. I couldn't eat that steak in two meals.

Here's a suggestion: when you decide that the steakhouse isn't worth that $30 that you pay for it, then let's talk. If you can duplicate any of the 4- or 5-course steakhouse meals (appy and/or soup + salad + entree + dessert) for $30 at the same quality level in a landside restaurant, I'll eat my hat, your hat, and Host Mach's hat.

No, your own kitchen doesn't count. ;)

Bon appetit!

To be fair, you'd have to start with the cost of the MDR meal you are foregoing, then add the $30.

Archived