Another smuggling Question..sorry..

why smuggle alchol on board

I think that's been pretty well established in the previous posts...

mostly Cheapness and/or Convenience - with a small number doing it for the thrill of getting away with something (sort of like the Balcony Club :rolleyes:).

Also as noted previously there seems to be a fairly large number of people who would be willing to pay more than they would at home for a bottle (NOT wine) from the ship liquor store to enjoy in stateroom. Or purchase at shop price (which is better price for us than at home) and pay a convenience fee to take to stateroom (100% markup?). Many would not even consider smuggling if this were the case. A simple policy change by RCI and...

• they gain revenue
  • passengers have convenience
  • smuggling decreases significantly

If RCI (or lawyers or insurance company) are worried about over indulging there are plenty of ways to keep control while still getting the benefits above. Like allowing only one "take-away" bottle per stateroom per week.

The only solution for cheap is to provide alcohol free in which case demand for cruising would increase so much they could raise prices to cover it - as some lines do. Bet the lawyers would love that though. ;)

why smuggle alchol on board :confused::confused::confused:

Maybe some think paying $8-11 for a drink and $5-6 for a beer (that's around $140 a case) is just a little ridiculous. Others think it's just fine, and like to brag about their $1200 bar bill when they leave the ship. :eek:

Also as noted previously there seems to be a fairly large number of people who would be willing to pay more than they would at home for a bottle (NOT wine) from the ship liquor store to enjoy in stateroom. Or purchase at shop price (which is better price for us than at home) and pay a convenience fee to take to stateroom (100% markup?). Many would not even consider smuggling if this were the case. A simple policy change by RCI and...

• they gain revenue
  • passengers have convenience
  • smuggling decreases significantly

This is exactly what used to be available when we sailed on Mariner in 2004 where you could purchase a bottle from the liquor store, pay a supplement and take it back to your cabin immediately to enjoy at leisure.

However, this was no longer available when we sailed on Navigator in 2005. Perhaps it is time we put pressure back onto RCI to reinstate this facility.

This is exactly what used to be available when we sailed on Mariner in 2004 where you could purchase a bottle from the liquor store, pay a supplement and take it back to your cabin immediately to enjoy at leisure.

However, this was no longer available when we sailed on Navigator in 2005. Perhaps it is time we put pressure back onto RCI to reinstate this facility.

Welcome to 2012.

Maybe some think paying $8-11 for a drink and $5-6 for a beer (that's around $140 a case) is just a little ridiculous.

Then why choose to cruise? Perhaps they should just stay home and drink the cheap stuff while watching TV in their recliner.

Simple, yes?

I think you should pour the box of wine into little balloons and swallow them. Then when you get to your room, expel them. Have your wife do the same. Then pull the balloons out of the commode and cut them open and pour them into a nice carafe and enjoy!

I love this idea! I can't believe I didn't think of it!

These threads scare me as the smuggles all act like terrorists smuggling liquids thru a security checkpoint, and believing it's all right as long as they are not caught.

Reminds me of an article I recently came across:

Liquid Chemical Explosives – What You Never Wanted to Know

"Dozens of alleged terrorists were recently arrested in Britain and Pakistan, accused of plotting to blow up as many as ten transatlantic airliners. Police report the terrorist plan was to blow up the planes using suicide bombers armed with liquid chemical bombs smuggled on board disguised as drinks."

http://www.efilmgroup.com/Liquid-Chemical-Explosives-What-You-Never-Wanted-to-Know.html

As mentioned before, I'm really surprised that the cruise lines have been this tolerant. Also very surprised others have been condoning, promoting and participating in this illicit behavior. What has to happen??

Which smuggler will be the next terrorist? How much financial impact have they had on our cruise prices as far as security and the like? How much longer are the non-smuggling, anti-terrorist cruise passengers going to tolerate this??

These threads scare me as the smuggles all act like terrorists smuggling liquids thru a security checkpoint, and believing it's all right as long as they are not caught.

Reminds me of an article I recently came across:

Liquid Chemical Explosives – What You Never Wanted to Know

"Dozens of alleged terrorists were recently arrested in Britain and Pakistan, accused of plotting to blow up as many as ten transatlantic airliners. Police report the terrorist plan was to blow up the planes using suicide bombers armed with liquid chemical bombs smuggled on board disguised as drinks."

http://www.efilmgroup.com/Liquid-Chemical-Explosives-What-You-Never-Wanted-to-Know.html

As mentioned before, I'm really surprised that the cruise lines have been this tolerant. Also very surprised others have been condoning, promoting and participating in this illicit behavior. What has to happen??

Which smuggler will be the next terrorist? How much financial impact have they had on our cruise prices as far as security and the like? How much longer are the non-smuggling, anti-terrorist cruise passengers going to tolerate this??

Would you rather smuggle apples or oranges? Because your argument is lacking. If you are afraid of terrorists smuggling chemicals that looks like drinks, then maybe you should direct your complaints to the cruise lines. Cruise lines are not catching all drinks (i.e. rum runners), therefore cruise lines would not catch all chemicals (i.e. dressed as drinks, dressed as rum runners).

If anything you should applaud the rum runner protest, because if people didn't work harder and harder to smuggle on booze, than it would be easier and easier for "terrorists" to bring on chemicals in any form, as a result of the cruise lines lessening their intensities on searching out smuggled booze.

I did want to say that RC does allow you to bring bottled water. They had no problem with me brining a few bottles on board. They did check to make sure it was water, but it was okay. I also bring protein shakes as a dietary supplement. They allow those no problem. However, they do flag me to have my bags searched. Which is fine with me. They smell my wrinkle release, shake my waters and let me pass. I have no problem with being searched. I just need my nutritional supplements and wrinkle release. I know it says no water and soda, but they do allow you to bring it on. They only confiscate beer, wine, and liquor.

If you are afraid of terrorists smuggling chemicals that looks like drinks, then maybe you should direct your complaints to the cruise lines.

Roger that, done.

If anything you should applaud the rum runner protest, because if people didn't work harder and harder to smuggle on booze, than it would be easier and easier for "terrorists" to bring on chemicals in any form, as a result of the cruise lines lessening their intensities on searching out smuggled booze.

Correct-a-mundo my friend. One is either part of the solution or... well, you know.

Well "quasi-terrorist" smugglers, pick one, please.

Welcome to 2012.
Thank you for the Happy New Year wishes, but I am completely aware of what year it is. What is the point of your comment? I have sailed since 2005 and am completely aware of the current policy as it has been in force on all my cruises since 2005 but was pointing out that the suggested process did used to exist.

Can't see what your comment did to help the conversation, but maybe I missed something, apologies if I did.

Thank you for the Happy New Year wishes, but I am completely aware of what year it is. What is the point of your comment? I have sailed since 2005 and am completely aware of the current policy as it has been in force on all my cruises since 2005 but was pointing out that the suggested process did used to exist.

Can't see what your comment did to help the conversation, but maybe I missed something, apologies if I did.

Actually I was being facetious.

Agreeing that things have definitely changed so much since '05 and the way these booze smugglers have been pulling their "covert," illicit activities, it will be just a matter of time until we see even more of our privileges disappear - as in the rules of air-travel now.

Hey Gordie, do you ever post anything positive? Or give out useful info? It seems the only time you post, is to rant about something you don't like.

The truth is some people will take on alot of different things that according to policy are not allowed, Alcohol, water, soda, curling irons,etc.etc. There are a lot things that cost RCCL revenue that could be brought in by way of the Hair salon, water packages, soda packages, etc. etc. But you never see as big of ranting as you do when it comes to alcohol. Get a grip!

Hey Gordie, do you ever post anything positive? Or give out useful info? It seems the only time you post, is to rant about something you don't like.

The truth is some people will take on alot of different things that according to policy are not allowed, Alcohol, water, soda, curling irons,etc.etc. There are a lot things that cost RCCL revenue that could be brought in by way of the Hair salon, water packages, soda packages, etc. etc. But you never see as big of ranting as you do when it comes to alcohol. Get a grip!

I wonder if he is on the dmv message boards complaining about people driving 70 in a 65.

What the heck I join in. I just got off the Liberty today and I smuggled 1 12 pak of Amstel Light, 12 Dt. Mountain Dew, 6 pak, 7up, 12 waters, 30 little airplane bottles of rum and vodka. I think that's it.

I was quite happy with the results.:D

Have a great day!!

What the heck I join in. I just got off the Liberty today and I smuggled 1 12 pak of Amstel Light, 12 Dt. Mountain Dew, 6 pak, 7up, 12 waters, 30 little airplane bottles of rum and vodka. I think that's it.

I was quite happy with the results.:D

Have a great day!!

Two cruises ago we sat at a large table with many separate couples. It was a great blend of interests, the guy to my left worked for Miller, every night at dinner he had a can of Miller Lite, he brought on 2 30packs.... while I thought it was hilarious to smuggle beer, I think it was hilarious that every dinner he drank from a can that wasn't even sold in that form on the ship.

CHEERS

Actually I was being facetious.

Agreeing that things have definitely changed so much since '05 and the way these booze smugglers have been pulling their "covert," illicit activities, it will be just a matter of time until we see even more of our privileges disappear - as in the rules of air-travel now.

Lighten up Gordie

Archived