Another smuggling Question..sorry..

Now, I'm definitely not encouraging this, but...

Traveling with a box of wine is going to be pretty obvious. If you really want to smuggle, be more creative. I've heard that mouthwash bottles work well because mouthwash contains alcohol. I've also heard about people using shampoo bottles.

Don't put all of your eggs in one basket. If you put a little bit in each bag in separate containers, then you're more likely to get some onboard. It's also going to be less of a red flag.

Warning: if they catch you smuggling, they will search your stateroom. Some guys we met on our past cruise were caught smuggling alcohol on the ship from port, and their room was searched and all alcohol was confiscated.

I have a hard time believing they would search your cabin like a prison cell raid! lol

I really don't think I'd ever want to drink any booze that was stored in a shampoo bottle. Mouthwash bottle....maybe if I was desperate. I am pretty sure using bottles like that will radically change the taste of whatever you put in them. Shampoo and rum...yum yum!

For sure in checked luggage. I always take one and it has never been a problem. No need to take it out of the box.

Thank you...I'm leaving it in the box for protection...just seems more secure that way..We've taken bottles before without problem..but the box is smaller:) We just enjoy having wine in our stateroom;)

I have a hard time believing they would search your cabin like a prison cell raid! lol

I really don't think I'd ever want to drink any booze that was stored in a shampoo bottle. Mouthwash bottle....maybe if I was desperate. I am pretty sure using bottles like that will radically change the taste of whatever you put in them. Shampoo and rum...yum yum!

Well, I guess just make sure it's coconut or some other tropical scent......*gags* :p

This thread has me laughing a bit...not being a big wine drinker/alcohol beverage rat...thinking how much is that box o'wine? Take it and if gets confiscated - oh wel...you'll have an exact answer. Or save your money and buy a bottle of not so cheap wine. Or enjoy sipping something else at the 2 for 1 specials. Have fun - good luck

We are bringing a box of wine in our checked luggage..does it matter where it is in the suitcase? Is bottom better than top or should I try to bury it in the center..just wondering what would be the best place for it to be undetected?:)

Thanks, and if you disagree with my doing this..don't want to hear it..sorry:)

The latest trend to avoid detection is to actually buy your booze on the ship. It was the best kept secret up until recently but now it's all the rave.

Sorry, I was provoked by your last line.;)

The latest trend to avoid detection is to actually buy your booze on the ship. It was the best kept secret up until recently but now it's all the rave.

Sorry, I was provoked by your last line.;)

Sorry you were provoked..never intended to offend anyone:)

This thread has me laughing a bit...not being a big wine drinker/alcohol beverage rat...thinking how much is that box o'wine? Take it and if gets confiscated - oh wel...you'll have an exact answer. Or save your money and buy a bottle of not so cheap wine. Or enjoy sipping something else at the 2 for 1 specials. Have fun - good luck

Exactly....not really too concerned if it gets confiscated:p. Would just like to avoid the naughty room if possible:eek:

To the OP....I am not sure about the box, but of you you were to take the bladder out and put it in a ziplock bag, my suggestion is rolled in heavier clothing like jeans or khakis, and around the edges of suitcase. We did this with 7 rum runners spread through 4 suitcases! My DH also walked through security with a RR in his cargo shorts pocket. Shockingly they all made it through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly what is allowed?? No wine?? soft drinks? water?

From http://www.rccl.com

Q: Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard? s.gif A: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

Please Note: All guests must comply with TSA guidelines for transporting liquids.

LOL.....funny story.....

We were on the Monarch in November and we brought our "goods" with us in the carry on. I made it through security just fine........as we were going up the escalader I smelled a very strong odor. I looked at the bag and it was becomming saturated.

Yup, the bottle was leaking. Funny part is that I watched the bag go through the scanner and I could clearly see our bottles. And it stunk like a bar and we still made it through.

radio dense items (metals, such as zippers, charging cords, certain dress shoes, for example)

But... make sure all the items are not on the prohibited items list so not likely to cause suitcase to be opened. Like don't pack an iron in same suitcase as the wine.

Taking wine bladder out of the box helps serve same purpose as rum runners - breaks up the outline and looks blobby. As for placement within the suitcase.... another strategy is if the suitcase is roller type with retractable handle there are usually two "tubes" built into the frame that the handle telescopes into. These, being metal, can help obscure items.

Sending through checked luggage probably means less time to look at each one. Not withstanding the fact that I once had a couple cans of beer leftover from hotel stay in my carryon backpack at the boarding scanner and they were never questioned.

Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

I wonder if they consider embarkation day items that are voluntarily submitted for storage as being different from seized? Would be a shame to cruise from, for instance, a European port where some souvineer items were purchased to take home

This smuggling issue is very entertaining; there are so many ways to be naughty and hope not to get caught. I even looked up these rum runners (sorry I am not pouring top shelf in a plastic bottle that looks like something you see in a hospital). It seems if you drink so much you need your own supply then just go for the premium beverage packages! No need to cart sodas, wine, or liquor and hope that you do not get caught or hope they don't bust all over your clothing which then means you have to pay laundry fees. I can see families with babies needing water to mix baby formulas if that is the case mom or dad can get a beverage package and then get whatever water they need in the common areas and bring back to room. Also if you go to an online retailer like Amazon (or run a search on bing) they sell the single serve water "sports" bottles (just dont put any water in it before leaving home) with water fileration built in them you can drink from the tap filtered for about $10.00 per cruise and still have the bottle to take to the gym on your return home after your trying to work off all those extra calories you got trying to get your money's worth at the buffets and with the premium beverage packages if applicable!

This smuggling issue is very entertaining; there are so many ways to be naughty and hope not to get caught. I even looked up these rum runners (sorry I am not pouring top shelf in a plastic bottle that looks like something you see in a hospital). It seems if you drink so much you need your own supply then just go for the premium beverage packages! No need to cart sodas, wine, or liquor and hope that you do not get caught or hope they don't bust all over your clothing which then means you have to pay laundry fees. I can see families with babies needing water to mix baby formulas if that is the case mom or dad can get a beverage package and then get whatever water they need in the common areas and bring back to room. Also if you go to an online retailer like Amazon (or run a search on bing) they sell the single serve water "sports" bottles (just dont put any water in it before leaving home) with water fileration built in them you can drink from the tap filtered for about $10.00 per cruise and still have the bottle to take to the gym on your return home after your trying to work off all those extra calories you got trying to get your money's worth at the buffets and with the premium beverage packages if applicable!

RCCL does not have a beverage package,like Celebrity does.....

RCCL does not have a beverage package,like Celebrity does.....

Actually they started rolling them out on some ships on RCCL in early 2011; I am not sure where they are at this time; their website is down for updating at this time.

Actually they started rolling them out on some ships on RCCL in early 2011; I am not sure where they are at this time; their website is down for updating at this time.

Only available on European sailings - not sure if it's on all of them or only a few.

I usually stay out of these smuggling threads but today I feel compelled to post. A family member who shall remain nameless always attempts to smuggle on a few bottles of wine and sometimes a small bottle of liquor. Prior to 2010 it worked more often than not. 2010 and on she has yet to get a bottle past the "cops". ZERO successful smuggles. Her stuff ALWAYS goes to the naughty room which delays her luggage delivery and takes time away from her vacay as you have to to go down and explain yourself in order to get your stuff back. I don't know why she keeps trying. The cost of what she's lost is more than what her bar bills would be at this point... this person is not a big drinker. Use the rum runners or better yet... avoid the stress and possible complications and just buy onboard. OK... I'm done. Enjoy your cruise.

I think the issue of smuggling is just as much about safety and security of all the passengers as it is about the bars making money! Everything has to have the seals checked even if allowed on like a bottle of water maybe for a reason. HLS and the port authority help set inspection levels and techniques. Don't blame the cruise line for the risk reduction measures. It is a part of traveling and life.

Onto another thought and as DH said, 1. drink prices are similar to restaurant prices in the US and 2. if you can afford to cruise you can pay for specialty beverages.

We are bringing a box of wine in our checked luggage..does it matter where it is in the suitcase? Is bottom better than top or should I try to bury it in the center..just wondering what would be the best place for it to be undetected?:)

Thanks, and if you disagree with my doing this..don't want to hear it..sorry:)

Looking for input from real booze smugglers:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1541440

Archived