Pompeii, Sorrento, Capri Tour

OnWeGo

Looking to book a tour with RomeinLimo to Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri. Technically their tour ends at the ferry in Sorento at 2:00 pm. From there we are responsible for getting to Capri and back to the ship (via ferry service). Based on the time to get to Capri and then back to the ship (allowing total of an hour) that gives us only about 3 hours at most to spend in Capri. Is it worth going or should we consider doing their Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano tour? We will be there on June 21st.

Looking to book a tour with RomeinLimo to Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri. Technically their tour ends at the ferry in Sorento at 2:00 pm. From there we are responsible for getting to Capri and back to the ship (via ferry service). Based on the time to get to Capri and then back to the ship (allowing total of an hour) that gives us only about 3 hours at most to spend in Capri. Is it worth going or should we consider doing their Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano tour? We will be there on June 21st.

We faced the same "dilemma" last summer. We opted for the Amalfi Coast tour because we felt that we would be too rushed and wouldn't really have enough time on Capri.

Now I have another reason to return to Italy, for a visit to Capri.

For us, it was the last day of a 12-day very port-intensive cruise. I was so happy to visit the amazing Amalfi Coast as my last memory of our vacation.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your visit. You are in excellent hands with Romeinlimo!

However, we did the entire trip on our own. It was not that difficult, we caught the 1:50pm ferry to Capri and the Hydrofoil back to Naples at 5pm. We were docked very close to the Bovello ferry area and it was a quick walk back to the ship at the end of the day. It did make for a long day, we were napping on the way back to the ship, it was dark out and could not really see much anyway.

We enjoyed our time in Capri, the gardens and the zig-zag walkway were highlights and glad we included them in our day. On the way back to Naples the hydrofoil was full of ship tours and others.

We are used doing a lot of our planning anyway, so we did feel we needed to limit ourselves. We did buy our return ticket once we got to Capri before taking the funicular up so we did not have to worry with it later.

I live on Capri and would be very hesitant to suggest coming that late in the afternoon. The last boat back to Naples leaves shortly after 20.00 which would allow only four hours or so on the island. Then you have to detract waiting time, time on a bus or taxi, etc. to get up into the town from the port. Why anyone would spend all that money and frustration for so little time is beyond me.

That would be pushing it which may be more stressful than it's worth. Everyone else will be coming back at the same time, so if you're coming back down to the marina from town the funicular will be busy and the last ferry back will be packed. If you do decide to go, definitely buy your ferry tickets back to Naples as soon as you get there.

On the flip side, it is a beautiful island and definitely worth visiting. I might be in the minority but I didn't find Sorrento all that exciting and if I were going to choose two of the three, I'd want to do Pompeii and Capri.

Archived