Earliest flight out of FLL- cruise from POM

Cruis'in Mom

We are cruising the Liberty on Feb.25-March 3 and the flights out of Fort Lauderdake are quite a bit cheaper. Can we make an 11:00 am flight on debarkation day? I am VIP with Carnival so I should be able to get off quick, it's just that I've never flown out of (or into) FLL before and I don't know how far it is from POM. Is SAS the best transportation from POM to FLL?

Thanks

We are cruising the Liberty on Feb.25-March 3 and the flights out of Fort Lauderdake are quite a bit cheaper. Can we make an 11:00 am flight on debarkation day? I am VIP with Carnival so I should be able to get off quick' date=' it's just that I've never flown out of (or into) FLL before and I don't know how far it is from POM. Is SAS the best transportation from POM to FLL?

Thanks[/quote']

I have made a few 11am flghts from FLL after arriving in MIA.. and we are CDN having to be at the airport very early.. we are there usually around 8am .. Just do self assist.. SAS is great but they also have other vans outside that charge 20pp to take you there as well if you want..

This all depends if the ship arrives on time tho... :)

"Just do self-assist" works MOST times.

But sometimes it doesn't!!

I've been on ships where they've called the same names over and over and over and over and couldn't begin disembarkation until those slackers finally reported to the service desk (or immigrations, or wherever it was they were supposed to have been two hours earlier!). I've been on them where we docked before 7:00 they didn't begin self-assist until after 8:30. And then they call by decks or number anyway.

I just wouldn't risk it.

I've done it when sailing and flying from FLL, but I just wouldn't want to risk it with the added travel from Miami.

I'm just about to call my PVP and book a cruise from Miami for the first time and I'm expecting air to be much cheaper to FLL (I normally get a nonstop Southwest flight), but since that flight home leaves before noon, I'll have to re-think my flights.

We get flights out of FLL at 11:30 and it never seemed to be a problem.

Your luggage MUST be checked in by 10am.

Suggest doing self embarkation and carry off your stuff.

Make sure the cheaper flights warrant the extra $$ for transportation back and forth.

Its about 45 minutes away. Self embarkation with no problems you should be there in plenty of time for the 10am window to check your luggage.

FLL is a zoo on cruise turn over day- so allow plenty of time to get through the security

FLL is a zoo on cruise turn over day- so allow plenty of time to get through the security

I second this! We've spent an hour plus in security at FLL. I think 11 a.m. might be pushing it.. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth. :o

The two posters above have a good point--we just sailed out of Miami and flew back to NH from FLL.

It only took us about 35 minutes to get from the port to FLL airport-- but then got bogged down before we got to our gate.

We were over cautious and had a 3:30 flight-- glad we could take our time.

I second this! We've spent an hour plus in security at FLL. I think 11 a.m. might be pushing it.. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth. :o

See, and I was about to write that FLL was a nice experience for me.

EDIT: I just remembered I spent the night in SoBe before I flew out - there was no cruise turnover when I left.

Oasis and Allure both go out of FTL on Saturday and Sunday and Princess had 3 ships there and there were other lines too. I saw people all over the airport off of different lines and could hear them talking about their cruises.

They suggest not booking a flight before noon, so if you do and the ship is late getting in .. have a back up plan, but you have about a 90% to 99% chance of making a 11:30 am flight.

We recentlly flew in and out of FLL and cruised in and out of Miami. We used SAS and were extremely pleased. We actually were planning on leaving FLL at 1230 but were at the airport by 0930 so were able to fly out on an earlier flight. If you give carnival your flt time and flt number they will give you an earlier debarkation zone. We were zone 3 and there was zero line to get off ship or go through customs. SAS has you call them as you enter customs but we couldn't since there was no line. As soon as we got outside, we called them and they arrived in about ten minutes. It takes about 30 min to get to airport. (FLL)

I would say no. I'm a pilot and fly into FLL all the time and it can get pretty bad at times. I mean you could make it but you would be cutting it pretty close. it's about a 45 minute drive without traffic. You probably won't encounter traffic coming out of Miami-Dade County but once you cross into Broward county (where Ft. Lauderdale is) you will probably hit traffic. FLL crowds in the mornings can get pretty big but sometimes it is really fast. Also the customs in Miami can get pretty bad at times and the ship may be delayed getting in. So it's up to you but I would be too worried to do it.

Have fun!!

Archived