Balcony on Dawn and Smoking Question

alwalaska

I really don't want to start a fight - but I would like to know what experiences people have had on NCL, but the Dawn in particular.

I am thinking about booking my first balcony cabin ever. I am very sensitive to cigarette smoke and get very bad headaches when I am around it. I know balconies are one of the few places left for smokers, so I would not feel right asking someone to stop smoking on their balcony so I can enjoy mine.

We will be limited on locations (I know the front most balcony should be safer since the wind will carry the smoke away from us), but I think an aft balcony would be really neat.

What percentage of people do you think spend a lot of time smoking on their balconies? Has anyone had a problem with smoke hanging around a lot on an aft balcony?

I was originally considering Celebrity or Princess because of the new smoking policies for non-smoking balconies, but the price and the itineraries on NCL are just amazing.

I am a smoker, and I booked an aft balcony cabin. I smoked in the morning, afternoon and evening on my balcony. With smoking areas so limited, you could very well run into smokers on both sides of your cabin.

Your first feeling of a forward balcony cabin would probably be safest.

I love the aft balconies, except for the smokers that did not dispose of their butts properly. Every morning we woke up to butts and ashes on our balcony. People from the decks above us would throw their butts overboard. Not only was this inconsiderate, but also a safety hazard.

I love the aft balconies, except for the smokers that did not dispose of their butts properly. Every morning we woke up to butts and ashes on our balcony. People from the decks above us would throw their butts overboard. Not only was this inconsiderate, but also a safety hazard.

Do the aft balconies have regular chair or lounge chairs, or does it depend on what deck you are on?

I've seen pictures with both kinds of chairs, but can't figure out which ones are which?

Do the aft balconies have regular chair or lounge chairs, or does it depend on what deck you are on?

I've seen pictures with both kinds of chairs, but can't figure out which ones are which?

On the dawn deck 10 has the largest balconies and they have 2 loungers with a small table.

Godd luck with planning your cruise.

Thanks. Are the balconies partially or fully covered from things above?

No worries about things falling from above. The spa is above the deck 10 cabins so it is quiet and food free. All you have is the wake and the smell of the bakery. We love the aft cabins.

No worries about things falling from above. The spa is above the deck 10 cabins so it is quiet and food free. All you have is the wake and the smell of the bakery. We love the aft cabins.

Yumm, bakery smells, just what I need on a cruise, something to encourage me to eat even more. :eek:

I was just wondering about sun to warm us on the chilly Canada days.

Were there any noise problems from the gym?

Yumm, bakery smells, just what I need on a cruise, something to encourage me to eat even more. :eek:

Our trip was the Caribbean and there was plenty of sun on the balcony. There was no noise from the gym at all. We were in 10728, which is a suite. There are 2 balcony cabins in the middle of 4 SF suites.

And , if you book on the stern , try and book a corner/end . That way you cut your chances in half of having smoke next to you.

My wife smokes and we have found that the smoke seems to disipate better in the wash off the aft .;)

(doesnt drift left or right)...much

We are non smokers.

We have friends who smoke.... smoking to us, is not a BIG issue, unless the smoker smokes 24/7

I think many smokers are now aware that most people don't smoke and I find them very considerate.

On our aft balcony on the Pearl, there was smoking above and below us, it wasn't a problem as they were occasional smokers. No one seemed to smoke on either side of us. It's the luck of the draw.

My husband & I hate the smell of smoke. We had a mid-ship balcony and I think we only had to leave our balcony once or twice on the cruise to avoid the smoke. Really no complaints (ok...smoke free cruise would be nice, I will admit ;) but really...not an issue.)

But I would like to know what experiences people have had on NCL, but the Dawn in particular.

There is a low percentage of posters who come on that claim smoke from their balcony has disrupted their time on their balcony. Although that could be for a number of reasons. Depending on the demographics of that particular sailing. The ones that haven't had issues simply was they may lack having issues with near by smoke to begin with. Winds and breezes on particular sailings. Location on ship of smokers on balconies and non-smokers. Smoking was allowed in cabins prior to January.

I am thinking about booking my first balcony cabin ever. I am very sensitive to cigarette smoke and get very bad headaches when I am around it. I know balconies are one of the few places left for smokers, so I would not feel right asking someone to stop smoking on their balcony so I can enjoy mine.

We will be limited on locations (I know the front most balcony should be safer since the wind will carry the smoke away from us), but I think an aft balcony would be really neat.

Whether you felt right or not in asking someone to stop, really probably wouldn't matter anyway. Especially since the policy change, some smokers will be booking balconies just so they have someplace to go and have their smoke. And that is a designated smoking area and therefore they can. Also the smell you are getting may not be coming from a direct balcony neighbor, but above below or the next balcony down. Because a lot of times what people are getting is the smell of a cigarette not the actual smoke itself. The breezes are pretty strong while the ship is in motion.

I was originally considering Celebrity or Princess because of the new smoking policies for non-smoking balconies, but the price and the itineraries on NCL are just amazing.

Since there is no way of knowing ahead of time how many smokers will be on your cruise, how many will utilize their balconies to smoke and how often they will be out there. I would suggest, if you have that big an issue with smoke, don't get a balcony cabin unless you will not think it a waste IF you cannot use it due to smoke. Or go with the other 2 lines you have mentioned.

Our trip was the Caribbean and there was plenty of sun on the balcony. There was no noise from the gym at all. We were in 10728, which is a suite. There are 2 balcony cabins in the middle of 4 SF suites.

I'll be that cabin in Feb.

Does the coffee make take whole beens or those pode things?

OP, sorry for the hijack but on topic, we have 3 afts in a row on the Feb 26 cruise and none of us are smokers.

Lois

We both smoke and found the aft balcony perfect. We didn't seem to bother anyone (at least no one complained) and we loved the cabin/balcony so much we were out there almost constantly. The suggestion of an outside corner is a good one also and has the added benefit of giving a peak to the side. We will be in an aft suite on the Star in January 2013 and can't wait.

I'll be that cabin in Feb.

Does the coffee make take whole beens or those pode things?

OP, sorry for the hijack but on topic, we have 3 afts in a row on the Feb 26 cruise and none of us are smokers.

Lois

Great cabin - wonderful balcony!

I know there were pods in the cabin to use with the machine, but I don't know if you can use whole beans if you wanted. We used the pods.

Have a great cruise!

I would avoid 11686 on the Dawn, it is right under the activity room of the gym and was very noisy.

Great cabin - wonderful balcony!

I know there were pods in the cabin to use with the machine, but I don't know if you can use whole beans if you wanted. We used the pods.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks for the info.

That's too bad. :( the one on the Jewel used whole beans, I was hoping that the Dawn would have the same ones.

My DH likes his Starbucks beans.

Does it have a milk steamer?

Lois

I room with a smoker when I cruise. She's not a 24/7 smoker and tries to be considerate of balcony neighbors. I noticed the reply about people throwing their butts overboard. How dangerous!!! My roomie uses a water bottle half-filled with water to dispose of her butts...ucky looking but certainly safe. lol

Thanks all for the replies. Since it really seems a luck of the draw thing, we decided on one of the balconies selling at the oceanview price and decided if we have heavy smokers next to us, we will simply treat the balcony like a really big floor to ceiling port hole. :D

I really don't want to start a fight - but I would like to know what experiences people have had on NCL, but the Dawn in particular.

What percentage of people do you think spend a lot of time smoking on their balconies? Has anyone had a problem with smoke hanging around a lot on an aft balcony?

We had an Aft balcony and the people next to us smoked,it was really bad and we could even smell it in our room with the balcony door shut.I did read starting Jan.1,2012 smokers are not allowed to smoke in their staterooms.But our cruise was in December.It did not make for a pleasant cruise.

I room with a smoker when I cruise. She's not a 24/7 smoker and tries to be considerate of balcony neighbors. I noticed the reply about people throwing their butts overboard. How dangerous!!! My roomie uses a water bottle half-filled with water to dispose of her butts...ucky looking but certainly safe. lol

You may request an ashtray for your balcony. We prefer the ones they use on deck that have the lip to contain the ashes and the cigs. Not nearly as disgusting as looking in that water bottle

We had an Aft balcony and the people next to us smoked,it was really bad and we could even smell it in our room with the balcony door shut.I did read starting Jan.1,2012 smokers are not allowed to smoke in their staterooms.But our cruise was in December.It did not make for a pleasant cruise.

yes,,,but the problem is that now....all will be smoking on the balconies. I do smoke but have never thought it was a good idea to allow smoking in staterooms. the smoke drifts out in the halls & is unpleasant to say the least.

We always stay at non smoking hotels but do book balcony cabins so we can smoke on our balcony. We try to be considerate of our neighbors if they are non smokers.

Princess has banned smoking on balconies & in staterooms so would assume ideal for nonsmokers..........course, have to put up w/smoking areas on ship but at least you wouldn't have to deal w/smoke in your cabins/balconies.

I also get immediate headaches from cigarette smoke. I had a terrible time on balconies, and this was before there was a rule of no smoking in cabins. It should be way worse now. You will have to go to the top deck for fresh air. My brother and his wife just did a meditterenean cruise (rci) where they were unable to use the balcony at all. I use inside cabins now.

If you find a smoke-free cruise, let me know. I'll go with you.

Archived