Kdis' dress for formal nights?

CarolinaMamma

My boys will be 8 and 12 on our cruise. Is a jacket and tie okay for them for formal nights, or should I get them suits or tuxes? My husband will be wearing a tux. My 12 year old already needs to wear a tux for another event, so I may just buy him one.

My daughter will be 6. Do the girls just wear normal "churchy" dresses (she has tons of those) or more "special occasion" (silk, taffeta, flower girl, etc)!dresses?

I am happy to buy whatever, just don't want them to look out of place or say "Mom, why did you make us wear a tux when none of the other kids are wearing them?"

On the smart casual nights, are polos and khakis okay for the boys, or do they need to wear dress shirts?

You'll see all things for kids, but if you want a special memory of this cruise, I'd dress your little girl in a party dress. She'll love looking so special. For the boys, a nice suit with tie will be perfect. I love seeing the kids dressed up on formal nights. It's quite lovely.

A tux for a kid is cute. However, unless you need it for another place, don't waste your money buying it. A nice pair of pants, a long sleeve shirt is just fine. No jeans and sneakers in the MDR on any night.

Jeans are permitted in the dining room on smart casual nights, that prohibition was removed several months ago.

My boys will be 8 and 12 on our cruise. Is a jacket and tie okay for them for formal nights, or should I get them suits or tuxes? My husband will be wearing a tux. My 12 year old already needs to wear a tux for another event, so I may just buy him one.

My daughter will be 6. Do the girls just wear normal "churchy" dresses (she has tons of those) or more "special occasion" (silk, taffeta, flower girl, etc)!dresses?

I am happy to buy whatever, just don't want them to look out of place or say "Mom, why did you make us wear a tux when none of the other kids are wearing them?"

On the smart casual nights, are polos and khakis okay for the boys, or do they need to wear dress shirts?

The dress you mentioned is fine for the children, I have traveled with mine so know what the standards are.. Polos and khakis are also okay, do not need dress shirts...

I think they will have fun getting dressed up. It lets them know tht this is something different from our regular kitchen table!

I think the tuxes wsould be cute, too. My 8 yer old would be all over it, but my 12 year old will be mad if he's the only kid his age wearing one. You know how middle schoolers are. Since he needs one for another event though I may just go fot it.

Sounds like it is going to be worth it to get the luggage valet service for our family of 5, what with all the clothes we are going to have to bring!

My 4.5 yr old daughter loves dressing up still...that won't last much longer I'm sure, so we're bringing a couple fancy dresses for her.

My baby (1 at time of sailing) has a mini suit with knickers and bowtie...the kind that he'll hate me for someday! ;) But I can't wait!

All of the options you suggest are great choices.

A dressy jacket and tie are great for the boys, especially if the jacket is dark. Although I must say that I've seen some families photos where both the father and sons are in tuxes and look great and make for a memorable photo. You can always rent the tuxes from an outfit at home (most give extended rentals for a cruise) or through the onboard company (cruiselineformal.com) although if the cost is an issue the jackets and ties are great. Khakis and polo shirts are perfect on smart casual nights.

There is no need to feel that you must dress your boys in tuxedos or suits. As others have stated, khakis and a collared shirt are fine for formal evenings...unless of course you prefer something else.

Some people like to dress their children, or see others dress up, like hood ornaments. We have taken our children on cruises in the past. There is no particular need to do this-especially if you want to cut down on the luggage that you will be slogging about.

It is really entirely up to you and whatever you decide I am certain that they will not be out of place.

There is no need to feel that you must dress your boys in tuxedos or suits. As others have stated, khakis and a collared shirt are fine for formal evenings...unless of course you prefer something else.

Some people like to dress their children, or see others dress up, like hood ornaments. We have taken our children on cruises in the past. There is no particular need to do this-especially if you want to cut down on the luggage that you will be slogging about.

It is really entirely up to you and whatever you decide I am certain that they will not be out of place.

I would agree. Do not let others try to intimidate you. You are the mother here, not them.

On the other hand, some people like to follow the published dress code and teach their children it is appropriate as well. I think the original poster is on the right track and setting a proper example for her children.

Could she "get away" with her boys wearing just a shirt and tie and no jacket? Probably. Would that be following the published dress code by doing that? Absolutely not.

I would say from our recent cruise that maybe 5% of the men wore tuxes, 50% wore suits (not necessarily dark suits) and the rest wore either shirt and tie or sport coat and shirt and tie. Don't sweat the dress code. Celebrity suggests certain dress as a guideline and no one will turn you away if you are not in a suit or tux. I believe that it is more important for kids to be well behaved in whatever they are wearing than to be dressed in a tux and not behaved. Let the kids be comfortable - will it ruin your dinner if the child next to you is not dressed appropriately?

I would agree. Do not let others try to intimidate you. You are the mother here, not them.

No one is trying to intimidate anyone, read the posts.....This mother has a good handle on things and others are once again trying to answer the question....

Archived