Live from the Odyssey on our way to Sydney

redheadednancy

It is a cloudy, not so nice morning today. However, we all know at sea that changes fast. Yesterday was gorgeous and perfect for "Caviar in the Pool".

Captain Dexter and Raj, our executive chef didn't miss it either. They were right in the water serving! Lots of MarianH's favorite champagne, NF, :p was served. I took a lot of pictures...we have some VERY good looking servers in the pool area!! We had a lovely dinner in our room. It is so luxurious when you don't feel like getting dressed to have the same food you would have in the restaurant delivered hot to your balcony with all the flourishes and of course the bread sticks!

Went up this morning early to Seabourn Square to get my double expresso. I think it is interesting...never really see women there early in the morning..mostly men. It's pretty busy at 6:15 in the morning. Today the sea is very quiet with hardly a ruffle. That is good because we are moving at what is considered top speed...20 knots to get closer to New Zealand for the ill passenger...about 500 nautical miles to go until Russell. The Captain said we had to get into "assistance range", not sure what that is. Makes you realize what a speck we are in this large ocean. The other good thing is we might have more than FOX news. It gets old fast especially on football Sundays. Thank goodness for the internet but still can't watch the game. It seems with all the technology in this world there ought to be a way to get more than FOX news in the middle of the ocean!:(

Going to go see how cold the pool is. Need to exercise a little as today is the Galley Lunch! More good food.

RNH: "Assistance Range" could very well mean that the ill pax needs to be medivac'd off the ship and the range would be for a helicopter to be able to fly out from shore and meet the ship in order to air lift the pax off the ship probably off the pool area on Deck 8 as there are no heli-pads on any Seabourn ships.

I feel for you as I had FOX NEWS for well over 44 days on the Legend...I would equate it to "Chinese Water Torture"...LOL

Yes Seabourntraveller, that's it helicopter assistance - just asked the DH - he knows about stuff like that.

I am sure I came across - somewhere online - photos of a medivac by helicopter from a Seabourn ship - from Deck 6 forward.

It's sad to hear this news though and hope the guest gets the help needed.

Hi RHN

Thank you so much for your postings - it's lovely to hear your news.:)

I have to say I never, ever made it to Seabourn Square that early - in fact I never made it anywhere that early on board! LOL!

Now I see a little interesting thread developing here Mrs RHN - handsome young servers on deck, mainly men at Seabourn Square early morning - LOL! Think you might need a cold dip in the pool! LOL! :D:D

Hi RHN

Thank you so much for your postings - it's lovely to hear your news.:)

I have to say I never, ever made it to Seabourn Square that early - in fact I never made it anywhere that early on board! LOL!

Now I see a little interesting thread developing here Mrs RHN - handsome young servers on deck, mainly men at Seabourn Square early morning - LOL! Think you might need a cold dip in the pool! LOL! :D:D

You are only old when you stop looking, applies to both sexes. You just have to be smart enough to know not to touch!

Yes Seabourntraveller, that's it helicopter assistance - just asked the DH - he knows about stuff like that.

I am sure I came across - somewhere online - photos of a medivac by helicopter from a Seabourn ship - from Deck 6 forward.

It's sad to hear this news though and hope the guest gets the help needed.

Yes, you are right. Captain came on board with his announcement and said we will be in range at 5:45 a.m. and no one is to be outside on deck six watching or trying to take a picture. They are shutting it down. Says it takes about ten minutes is all. I think you could be in the observation lounge. I just wanted to see the helicopter but although I am up early to get my expresso, that's earlier than Seabourn Square opens!! As a result of travelling at high speed we will be in Russell NZ about 9:00 tomorrow evening but it doesn't change our schedule. We won't be cleared until the next morning to disembark for tours and will resume our normal schedule.

Has gotten a little cooler and the seas now have more white caps than I have seen in a while. I called my little "fix it man" Berlin to put the shims in the other side of the cabin. He solved the main creaking problem on the bedside that way when we boarded. I didn't call him back right away as it has been smooth sailing but I know it is going to get rougher so I want more shims!!!

Fun trivia today. We were the only team that knew that Donald Duck's middle name was "Fauntleroy" and also the only team to know that the first soccer match was played in Uraguay. We need the point help! Of course having Anita on our team (1,000 sailing days on Seabourn...can you imagine the trivia she has been through??) really helped!

Great galley lunch...I had to take a nap...tonight is Australian dinner in Colonnade and Chop House Dinner in Patio Grill. The soprano, Annette Wardell is doing a repeat performance tonight so we will enjoy her again.

You'll have to report on the Australian dinner. That there is a special Australian cuisine might come as a shock to most Australians. Let's hope it's not kangaroo and witchetty grubs. :eek: If you are really lucky it might be Vegemite sandwiches. :)

perhaps might they be serving possum steaks? ...LOL

As a result of travelling at high speed we will be in Russell NZ about 9:00 tomorrow evening but it doesn't change our schedule. We won't be cleared until the next morning to disembark for tours and will resume our normal schedule.

quote]

Our driver in Southampton told us that "they can't dock before their allotted time, as they will be paying the whole previous 12hr rate and leaving is the same apparently", Maybe the same every port, That is why on leaving sometimes it can seem a bit quick.

Menelaus: That's also why they hate to wait for guests...expensive! Anyway, we are now back to 12 knots. The ill guest was airlifted out promptly this morning and it didn't take long. The helicopter actually hovered outside our verandah (642) as the Captain kept the ship steady and headed into the wind. We never lost speed. It was VERY noisy. The copter went around toward the front, you could see the Medical person coming down and then you saw a person strapped in and going up and the helicopter was moved away from the ship very quickly. Seemed a masterful job of flying to me and all in about ten minutes. Well all hope things go well for him. We think his partner is still on ship but we don't know for sure.

I have one observation..a little delayed but also on the Quest in November...no peanuts in any of the bars sitting out BUT if you ask for them you get them. It's not like we need more snacks or food.... Also it seems like there are some trainees on this ship as they keep moving around. They wait on us in Colonnade and then again in diningroom..a versatile group that you never know where you will see them. I didn't notice that on Quest. I heard that the Odyssey has a very solid basic crew and does have a lot of new people start out here. We don't have a staff complaint as to a new person if that is so. They all really try hard and anything that has been slipped up on is quickly fixed.

As for the Australian dinner...we went to patio grill with some other couples so didn't have it, but this is what it was: Turtlemichael...your idea of an Australian dinner sounds more interesting.

APPETIZERS: Pepper seared tuna tataki, truffled celery salad, crisp onions, black lava salt

Fresh seafood gratin, ;young vegetables, sauce bearnaise

Roasted leek and potato soup, herb crostini

MAINS: Pan Seared Fresh Opah, braised leeks, new potato ragout, shiraz butter foam

Macadamia Nut Crusted beef tenderloin, sheep milk tart, basic fig jus

Today is last day of trivia, the all or nothing day to see who takes home the PRIZE Seabourn umbrella! Tonight is formal optional and the Captains Gala Reception as we say good-by to those leaving Thursday in Auckland. Seabourn singers and dancers are doing a tribute to Burt Bacharach. The restaurant tonight has Pan fried dover sole off the bone; Lobster thermidor; Veal piccata parmigiana and Filet of beef wellington....four hard choices.

I am just hoping we get to see the Super Bowl but probably not. We are docked in Burnie, Tasmania that day but I think we actually see it on Monday and that means we will be in Melbourne on tour all day! Oh well...super bowl is once a year. Australia is not. I do have my priorities in order...especially with all the reruns and hopefully FOX news will disappear by then.

I now have figure out a way to see the Hawkes Valley wineries in Napier on the 28th. Ship tours have been filled forever, long waiting list and no prospects of that going away (have heard the Sun Princess is in Napier that day...) I contacted a local tour agency last week and never heard a word, so now a passenger has given me the name of a local driver and I have sent him an email. We are only in port from noon until 6, but I have to get back to working on that. If anyone has any suggestions or has used someone, let me know. I think the Sun Princess has it sewed up. It is not a big town and resources are limited as I have been told.

The Aussie dinner looked great. Pity about no Vegemite sandwiches though.

For those interested in the Superbowl here are the local details I dug out, at least at this stage two weeks in advance:

• Date: Monday February 6th 2012
  • Teams: TBA – Monday 22nd January at 2pm
  • Kickoff: 10.30am (Melbourne timezone)
  • Finish: 2pm (times may vary)
  • Channels: ESPN (Foxtel), One HD (Free To Air)

Of course, it may also be on one of the ship's channels. Many pubs around town will be showing it.

The Aussie dinner looked great. Pity about no Vegemite sandwiches though.

For those interested in the Superbowl here are the local details I dug out, at least at this stage two weeks in advance:

• Date: Monday February 6th 2012
  • Teams: TBA – Monday 22nd January at 2pm
  • Kickoff: 10.30am (Melbourne timezone)
  • Finish: 2pm (times may vary)
  • Channels: ESPN (Foxtel), One HD (Free To Air)

Of course, it may also be on one of the ship's channels. Many pubs around town will be showing it.

THANK YOU. Great info. Thanks for the times. I think we will be on a day tour of Melbourne that day but maybe a rerun that night of at least the highlights. We have a very nice tour that day on a vintage steam train, wineries and wildlife...football my have to take second place but at least I have the general times. Thank you again for doing this.

Nancy

Correction: Hawkes Bay Tours:

www.napier.nz.com/

MB

many thanks, Martha. I would have thought YOU would know. I have written them all and also a few more I found on line. No responses yet. I can't seem to get through to this one for some reason. It says address not correct....but the other one you sent me went through great!

THANK YOU. Great info. Thanks for the times. I think we will be on a day tour of Melbourne that day but maybe a rerun that night of at least the highlights. We have a very nice tour that day on a vintage steam train, wineries and wildlife...football my have to take second place but at least I have the general times. Thank you again for doing this.

One HD (free to air tv) generally have a superbowl rerun in the evening to cater for those normal folks (like me) who have to earn a living that day!

Nancy

I think calling the local Napier Taxi service might be your "ticket."

The # is: 06 835-7777

Also, check out: Limos.com Outside USA: 1 480 592 0880

They advertise sedans in Napier.

Hope this helps......I have the time to research ~your time is limited;)

Martita B

Nancy

Forgot to mention, Capt Dexter LOVES "vegamite" :confused:~~I took him a large jar for his Christmas gift one Dec. ~~I prefer strawberry preserves ~if you happen to 'run across the veggie-mite, he would so enjoy having a jar in his 'quarters.

Have MORE fun!

Martita B.

Nancy

Forgot to mention, Capt Dexter LOVES "vegamite" :confused:~~I took him a large jar for his Christmas gift one Dec. ~~I prefer strawberry preserves ~if you happen to 'run across the veggie-mite, he would so enjoy having a jar in his 'quarters.

Have MORE fun!

Martita B.

Martha, you were so sweet and so helpful. We did find a tour through John Hanlon...to three of the wineries with another couple, so we are happy campers. Thank you SO much!

By the way, Captain Dexter's wife and two boys are joining him in Auckland and I think they had vegamite on the menu the other day. Wish I had tried it.

I have died and gone to heaven and moved to Russell!! What a perfectly beautiful and wonderful place in the world!

We got in last night about 8:00. We sat in the restaurant and watched the sun set at 8:30 as we came in early. By the way, we heard the ill person was anywhere from 72 to 86 and had gallstones. He was airlifted with his wife and is doing very well now. We are all happy to hear it and we feel bad when we want to thank him for getting us into Russell 15 hours early in calm seas to see the sunset and be at anchor. What a gorgeous picture perfect night to be at anchor. The sky was clear, no humidity and in the 70's. Everyone was on deck, couldn't get any better. They had star gazing late at night and altho we missed it, heard the experience was unbelievable. I know we are cruisers and we often have to travel at night to get to our ports but being in port at night and having a magical experience was very special.

What can I say about Russell other than I want to move here. 800 to a 1,000 people year around...playground of the rich and famous. our tour guide took us to where Jane Fonda, Clinton and Carter stay when they come. THe quaint stores and historic Christ Church (oldest in New Zealand 1836), first Petrol station in New Zealand, the Duke of Marlborough Hotel, so many special spots. The C. M. Russel Museum displays a scale model of Cook's ship, ENDEAVOUR. We sat out on beach and had half of Seabourn ship sitting around us, crew and guests, having a wonderful time. One side comment when I went into Christ Church. Every seat in the pew has a needlepoint pillow of original design done by a member of the church and marked with their initials.. I am a needlepointer so I know how special this was..

Had seafood chowder and fresh oysters...I had better stop. It was wonderful.

Anyhow, back on ship, came back to room to try to figure out what to do for dinner. Too nice to be indoors and our singer has a throat infection so don't know what they are doing. We probably will end up with room service or running down to the restaurant as tonight is resort casual and they had a wonderful menu.

Wish I could post some of my pictures, I took over 200. They had caught Marlin and were bringing them in. The fishing here is fabulous. You can live on the ocean. Red Snapper is a specialty. Everyone so friendly and kind.

New menu in resturant 2, so we will probably go tomorrow night.

So Sad we are losing half the ship in Auckland but it will completely fill up with new people. New trivia teams but only four days not in ports for the next two weeks. We are port intensive, but I will still try to fill you in on the ports. I am not going to want to leave in Sydney! More from Auckland tomorrow.

Nancy,

I too loved Russell when we were there two years ago on the Odyssey world cruise. It was Valentine's Day and we went into a florist to buy roses for some of our favorite fellow passengers and spent the most delightful half hour with the nicest people in the world. What a great spot! Keep enjoying.

Archived