Royal Caribbean Explorer of The seas August!

Hi! My husband and I set sail in August on the Explorer of the Seas. We'll be visiting Bermuda,St. Maarten, San Juan and Labadee. If anyone can help with info on MUST SEE on any of these islands I'd appreciate it. I'd love to know what we shouldn't miss and what to buy that is inexpensive on these islands. If anyone has been on this ship I'd love to know all about it! Thanks for your help and happy sailing to all!!!!

Hi! My husband and I set sail in August on the Explorer of the Seas. We'll be visiting Bermuda,St. Maarten, San Juan and Labadee. If anyone can help with info on MUST SEE on any of these islands I'd appreciate it. I'd love to know what we shouldn't miss and what to buy that is inexpensive on these islands. If anyone has been on this ship I'd love to know all about it! Thanks for your help and happy sailing to all!!!!

You will get more information about each island if you visit the Ports Of Call forums. Here is the link to this area.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Bermuda - private tour

Labadee - private island - beach day

San Juan - free trolley to forts and throughout Old San Juan

St. Martin - private tour

I don't know what you want to spend on excursions, but there is really no need to spend a lot of money at Labadee or San Juan if you don't want to. I'd spend my $$$ to set up a private tour on Bermuda and St. Martin. You will only have the day in Bermuda, so despite what folks say about taking the bus or ferry, IMO you will be able to cover more ground with a private tour. Kings Wharf is way out on the western part of the island and it takes time to get from there to the central part of the island by public transit. The first ferries and buses in the morning are crowded - 3000+ people are trying to get out of the area.

The San Juan excursions are a yawn - not much you can't do on your own. There are tricks to catching the trolley - walk to the previous stop.

St. Martin is the place to shop. The Coach outlet is in San Juan. Bermuda is pricey to buy things and there's not much on Labadee other than native crafts.

I second this recommendation for Bermuda. Although getting around by ferry & bus is fairly easy, it's very time consuming. That's fine if you've got a few days but if you're there for only a day, you won't see much & you'll be exhausted when you return to the ship.

Bermuda - private tour

I don't know what you want to spend on excursions, but there is really no need to spend a lot of money at Labadee or San Juan if you don't want to. I'd spend my $$$ to set up a private tour on Bermuda and St. Martin. You will only have the day in Bermuda, so despite what folks say about taking the bus or ferry, IMO you will be able to cover more ground with a private tour. Kings Wharf is way out on the western part of the island and it takes time to get from there to the central part of the island by public transit. The first ferries and buses in the morning are crowded - 3000+ people are trying to get out of the area.

The San Juan excursions are a yawn - not much you can't do on your own. There are tricks to catching the trolley - walk to the previous stop.

St. Martin is the place to shop. The Coach outlet is in San Juan. Bermuda is pricey to buy things and there's not much on Labadee other than native crafts.

Hi Carol!!!

Bermuda - private tour

Hubby & I are doing this same cruise in May. This is exactly how we set up our itinerary. We are using Joyce Prince in St. Maarten and Duke Soares in Bermuda. Both got great reviews. Good luck!:D

If you have some time, take a walk over to the glass factory. On our first visit, we wandered in to look around & stayed for about an hour watching them make angels. After that, I was hooked. Whenever we're on Explorer, we bring back whatever they're making while we're there............. Fortunately, it hasn't been any of the really large pieces!! :D

If you have some time, take a walk over to the glass factory. On our first visit, we wandered in to look around & stayed for about an hour watching them make angels. After that, I was hooked. Whenever we're on Explorer, we bring back whatever they're making while we're there............. Fortunately, it hasn't been any of the really large pieces!! :D

My hubby and I would love this. Can you tell me where it's located? Thanks!:)

My hubby and I would love this. Can you tell me where it's located? Thanks!:)

The correct name is Dockyard Glassworks. This link http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000029.htm will take you to a map that will give you the general direction.

If you follow the shopping links, you'll get plenty of information on it.

Enjoy your cruise................

I probably spent over $1,000 in the glass shop in all my trips to Bermuda. Love their plates and bowls.

To OP, we've done that trip many times [Royal and NCL]. It's a great one, just beware of hurricanes. We were diverted from Bermuda last Sept for Katia.

The correct name is Dockyard Glassworks. This link http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000029.htm will take you to a map that will give you the general direction.

If you follow the shopping links, you'll get plenty of information on it.

Enjoy your cruise................

Thanks for the info. I put it in with my listof other things to see & do!:D

My husband and I are doing the Explorer on August 30th. I think that is the same one you are on. Get onto the Roll Call and start meeting your fellow passengers. We did this cruise two years ago. Used Bernard's Tour in St. Maarten. Great time. In San Juan. we did the Bircardi Rum Tour. Very interesting. Not much time in San Juan. In Bermuda, Horseshoe Beach is wonderfu. There is an express bus right on the dock that takes you directly to the Beach with no other stops. When it is time to come back to the ship, allow yourself ample time, the ship waits for no one, the express bus will bring you back. I also like the Sea Glass Beach just outside the dockyard in Bermuda. It is a wonderfully secluded beach that is covered with Sea Glass. Great to pick up and bring back as your trinket from Bermuda. Look on the Bermuda site in the destination part of this site and get the directions to this Beach.

• 2 months later...

Archived