Crown Review - Dec 31 to Jan 7

Modeen

Can you tell me what the menu was for day 4. Also, are you limited to the amount of food you can order in the Crown, or is it like the mdr that allows you to order as much as you want. I know when we ate in the steak house on Carnival, we were limited to the amount we can order. Thank you: Matt

I can't remember exactly what nights we had each menu, but I think that night 4 might have been the Caribbean menu. If that's the case, that was the only night we chose to eat at the Caribe Cafe because there wasn't much on the menu that caught our eye. The Caribe Cafe was having an Italian buffet, so we ate out by the pool and it was perfect.

You can order as much food as you wish. On one formal night, our son ordered two entrees, and there was no problem. We sometimes ordered 5 appetizers for the 4 of us so we could share, and the night we had escargot, we liked it so much we ordered another one for the table. We found the wait staff to be very flexible.

At the specialty restaurants such as the Crown Grill you can also order multiple items.

Mo

To the OP: Was the noro actually under control or was it just that it didn't affect you? We're sailing on the 28th, and some of the reviews from the Crown's last few sailings are starting to cause me concern.

To the OP: Was the noro actually under control or was it just that it didn't affect you? We're sailing on the 28th, and some of the reviews from the Crown's last few sailings are starting to cause me concern.

DH and I (along with my sisters) are also on the 1/28 sailing. We booked the cruise and flights months ago and have hotel reservations for two nights in FLL. There's enough to "worry" about without considering the possibility that there might be some cases of Noro onboard. It's winter, folks will be embarking the vessel from points near and far, and some just might board the ship with a bug that they don't even realize they have at the time. We're excited and looking forward to the cruise and know that it won't do us any good to worry unnecessarily. We'll practice good hygiene by washing our hands frequently and hope that we remain well throughout our trip.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

I didn't hear anything about anyone being sick on our cruise. If there were people affected, we didn't know about it. And when we attended the meeting for the Chef's Table, we were told that we had the green light for the dinner because the ship was "healthy". Obviously, you'll still want to take precautions, but I believe all that cleaning over the past few weeks has eliminated the problem for now.

Mo

For those of you hoping to attend the Chef's Table, be sure to call early. We were told that over 50 people called and tried to sign up. They only have 10 people at each table, and it was unusual for them to do 2 tables in our week. So most of the people who tried to attend were not able to do so.

Good luck - and I hope you have the chance to experience it.

Mo

What is the number to call for Chef's Table? I have x6219 (that was from 3 years ago on emerald) or is it xDINE??? Thanks!

Just love reading reviews about the Crown..we've been on her twice and would go again as soon as possible. We also had the priviledge of eating at the Chefs table which was amazing. Who was your Maitre'd? Glad you had a nice trip..the aft balconies sound very appealing...

Michelle:)

What is the number to call for Chef's Table? I have x6219 (that was from 3 years ago on emerald) or is it xDINE??? Thanks!

The actual number of the DINE extension may vary from ship to ship, but it is well labled on your stateroom phone.

Thanks for posting your review. We were on the Crown the week before Christmas. Even with the full-blown code red for the norovirus we still had a great time.

I'm glad you got to experience the Chef's Table. We had done it three times in the past and weren't planning on trying to do it on our cruise. So it wasn't a disappointment that they did not have one. We did the Ultimate Balcony Dinner instead. I highly recommend trying that on your next cruise.

We were on the same cruise and can fully attest to the large quantity of chair hogs onboard the Crown...there were hordes of them. The cruise in itself was fairly good (not spectacular), and I must say some of the food was lacking...I had pheasant on the first night and pretty much got what you would get off a canary...very little meat, mostly bone...disappointing indeed...also on the first night, when the dessert menu came out, nothing really stood out for me so I ordered ice cream and butterscotch sauce (both on the menu)...when our waiter came back with the ice cream, he said they were out of butterscotch sauce (this was first seating at 5:30 on first night...how could that happen?)...another thing that really irked me about Princess was their little boutique....we ordered 4 beach towels shortly after we booked last July for gifts for our family at home...when we got to our cabin, there were 4 pieces of paper saying we could pick them up...when I went down to do that, they said they only had one but would have to get the others from down below so I would have to come back later...so...I came back later just to be told I would have to wait for a phone call when to show up...when the phone call came, I was told they didn't have any, but I could buy something else and they would settle up the difference later...I said that wouldn't be acceptable as how could a large company screw up an order like that...needless to say, Princess and the Crown have left a sour taste in my mouth and it is highly probable that we won't cruise with them again

THE HORROR!:p

Just love reading reviews about the Crown..we've been on her twice and would go again as soon as possible. We also had the priviledge of eating at the Chefs table which was amazing. Who was your Maitre'd? Glad you had a nice trip..the aft balconies sound very appealing...

Michelle:)

Neville Saldana was our Maitre'd over Christmas.

Does anyone know who the captain will be on the 2/4/12 Crown voyage?

Nick Nash is the current Captain and will be onboard for the 1/28 sailing. Not sure if he'll be around the following week, but if you're booked on that cruise, you should be notified by email re: Captain, Hotel Manager, Maitre d', CD, Captain's Circle host, and maybe some onboard entertainment.

Cruising on the Crown Princess in 11 days :)

Chris

We were also on the Crown from 12/31 to 1/14 and agree 100% with your well written review. Had a great time with wonderful weather and no noro issues. It was one of our best cruises. Loved Wilfredo, our room steward, who really shined for 14 days!! We were in E 405- a great location with a clear view to the sea, even though it's listed as partially obstructed. We just booked a 14 day on the Golden to Hawaii for April,by the way, and hope the experience will be equal to the Crown.

Thanks for your review! My husband and I just booked the Crown for the March 31st sailing....we're getting so excited! Is there a charge for the Chef's table? That sounds like something my husband especially might enjoy. I'm guessing it can't be reserved ahead of time through our TA?

Thanks for your review! My husband and I just booked the Crown for the March 31st sailing....we're getting so excited! Is there a charge for the Chef's table? That sounds like something my husband especially might enjoy.I'm guessing it can't be reserved ahead of time through our TA?

Yes, there is a charge for this special dinner that is hosted by the Chef and Maitre d'. I believe that the current cost is $90 per person. Chef's Table is very popular and limited to 10 people per event, so you'll need to make reservations as soon as you embark the ship by calling the DineLine.

Bon Appetit!

Chris

Yes, there is a charge for this special dinner that is hosted by the Chef and Maitre d'. I believe that the current cost is $90 per person. Chef's Table is very popular and limited to 10 people per event, so you'll need to make reservations as soon as you embark the ship by calling the DineLine.

Bon Appetit!

Chris

Thanks so much for the info, Chris! We plan to be on the ship as soon as they allow new passengers to board, so hopefully we'll be able to take part in this. Do you know if there's any way to find out what the menu will be ahead of time? Online, perhaps?

Archived