Tivoli-do you recommend it?

M&T

I have read mixed opinions about whether it is worth going to Tivoli. I know Celem said he thought it was a waste of money. I do like gardens. Also, I understand that some shows will specialize in Hans Christian Andersen this summer which sounds fascinating. What do you think?

We were in Copenhagen on a cruise last summer and visited Tivoli Gardens at night. When it was built umpteen years ago, it was one of a kind and must have been an absolute knockout; after all, it is an amusement park right in the middle of a bustling city. But that was then and this is now. If you've been to Disney World or any of the other major theme parks in the US, you may be a bit disappointed - Tivoli is nice enough (particularly at ngiht) but it pales in comparison. That having been said, I think as long as you're in Copenhagen, you should see Tivoli if for no other reason than because it's there.

Marlyne, as you might guess, I would definately recommend Tivoli. It's only about $11.50 USD to get in. There are plenty of restaurants, people watching, and entertainment. I recommend going in the evening or later afternoon. As for myself, I can't wait to go back, and I am excited about taking my parents. Granted, it is true, that if you're expecting Disney, or want such a mega them park, then I guess Tivoli will dissapoint you. But if you want a hugge (Danish word for cosy) evening, to relax, and just take in the environment, then how can you miss. Else, what are your other options for the evening? Be mindful of other's opinons, including my own. Decide for yourself and have fun.

Agree with everyone--Tivoli is not Disney, but has its own charm and is definitely worth a trip, if only to wander around and people watch. One of its unique aspects is the lack of fluorescent lighting--eally gives it a different feel from the amusement parks we are used to. It is magical to watch thousands and thousands of lights coming on at sunset.

I would go. We love Disney, but Tivoli does not try to be Disney and that's the charm. Don't go to ride rides. Go knowing you are going to a park and garden which just happens to have some rides and games. It sits right in the center of the city with no humungous parking lots surounding it.

Save your visit until the late afternoon, and be there when the sun sets and the lights go on. Plan on having dinner there, outside. Find out if there are any free concerts. There always seems to be a concert band or orchestra playing every day. Stroll around some of the grounds and enjoy!

Dh and I are going at night to Tivoli.We plan on having an early dinner as we get into Copenhagen at 8:30 pm. The ships transfer includes admission as well.We plaan on having a great time Can't wait !

Do they serve alcohol at the park?

Here's my two cents worth - Disney is American; Tivoli is European. It is a beautiful garden and park. It is charming. There are always free concerts, ballets, pantomimes, and other entertainments at night. I think it is truly magical and would spend every night I had in Copenhagen at Tivoli.

I liked Tivoli. I agree with the attractions listed above. We went at night, and I thought it was very charming. I think as long as you go knowing what to expect, you'll like it. As stated above, it's not Disney and does not try to be; anyone who goes there expecting Disney is bound to be disappointed not because Tivoli is not charming but because Tivoli is different. It's small, so we just stayed a few hours and had a wonderful time. I hope you do too.

Donna

"Here's my two cents worth - Disney is American; Tivoli is European. It is a beautiful garden and park. It is charming. There are always free concerts, ballets, pantomimes, and other entertainments at night. I think it is truly magical and would spend every night I had in Copenhagen at Tivoli."

That is exactly my sentiments too.

Steve

Agree with everyone--Tivoli is not Disney, but has its own charm and is definitely worth a trip, if only to wander around and people watch. One of its unique aspects is the lack of fluorescent lighting--eally gives it a different feel from the amusement parks we are used to. It is magical to watch thousands and thousands of lights coming on at sunset.

In reading about the sights to see, if interested in wandering around and people watching is the pedestrian street Stroget. This street is about a mile long and the street name changes. It's famous for shoping, cafes, and restaurants.

Monica ;)

Here's my two cents worth - Disney is American; Tivoli is European. It is a beautiful garden and park. It is charming. There are always free concerts, ballets, pantomimes, and other entertainments at night. I think it is truly magical and would spend every night I had in Copenhagen at Tivoli.

Totally agree gbc! Don't know why everyone is making it "Disney-lite". It's a lovely park. Other than food, rides and gambling, everything is included in the price of admission.

We went in saw a free jazz concert, strolled around, had a lovely dinner at an italian restaurant. Afterwards, we walked some more, had dessert and saw a big band concert - some of the locals come there to dance. Finally, as we were headed out, we caught the last 20 minutes of a ballet performance - gorgeous scenery, wonderful costumes and lovely dancing. Of course, between all these scheduled concerts were the juglers, mimes, magicians etc.

Anyone that thinks that Tivoli is a waste of time, imho, really isn't a traveler who appreciates how other cultures live.

In reading about the sights to see, if interested in wandering around and people watching is the pedestrian street Stroget. This street is about a mile long and the street name changes. It's famous for shoping, cafes, and restaurants.
Oh yes...the Stroget...fantastic people watching, good food and lovely old buildings. When in Copenhagen, I did both...Tivoli and the Stroget. I can't say I'd choose one over the other because I liked both so much. I'd say do Tivoli...when will you ever be there again?

Was there eight or ten years ago. Will be returning in the Spring. It is not only memorable but one of the reasons I have chosen to do a Northern European Cruise with the exact same ports as I did ten or so years ago. It will give you a little taste of what life is like there and how the people live. Actually it will give you a glimpse back in time before Disney existed. When life was slower, people had a taste for culture and standards were higher.

I am getting sooo excited only 45 more days till we are cruising.I am very happy Tivoli is not Disney.Been there done that too many times.I can't wait to have a nice cold Carlsburg beer.Tried it in Bermuda and really liked it(I am not a beer drinker)Can't find it on tap anywhere ?The gardens sound wonderful.

All of your responses have me excited too. We will definitely plan to have dinner and spend an evening at Tivoli. I'm not expecting Disney. If I wanted American and Disney, I'd go to Florida or California. In fact, I have gone to Florida and CA. I love to experience different cultures and see magic from other perspectives. I can't wait to see the "thousands and thousands of lights coming on at sunset." I am a little worried about how late sunset may be at the end of July. Thanks. Marlyne

I am a little worried about how late sunset may be at the end of July. Thanks. Marlyne

To find out sunset times, I usually go to the weather underground website. I then type in the name of the city, and select the correct city if several options are listed. Then I scroll down to look up historical information, and enter the date and year I wish to view. In addition to the weather for that historical date, sunset and sunrise information is provided. Hope this helps.

When are you sailing? We're on the July 24 Star Princess cruise out of Copenhagen.

• 4 months later...

Tivoli is as beautiful as ever. In July the sun probably sets very late. Hope you are docked overnight. There are fireworks in the park at about eleven several nights of the week. We were exhausted and did not stay. Our friends wanted to eat at the Hard Rock in Tivoli. I would have enjoyed something much more authentic. Since it is the 200th anniversary of Hans Christian Anderson's birth, while you are there there will be wonderful shows. We were about a week or two too early. According to a program that I purchased the Queen of Denmark will be directly involved with the major production. We saw some beautiful pantomine(ballet actually) while we were there. There was also a fabulous swing band as well. No it is nothing like Disney. It is very European. The kids looked like they were having a ball on the rides. It is not a large space. However the cultural offerings and the flowers , the assortment of restaurants make the difference. I am sure you are going to Russia. Wow have things changed in less than ten years.

We enjoyed Tivoli! At first when we entered, I was a little concerned. We were with another couple and we went looking for a restaurant. They were all expensive. We ended up at one that had a dish that was all you could eat and were told it was typical Danish. It had beef, onions, and potatoes like a stew only the broth was all cooked up. You put it in the middle of your plate, put a dab of butter in the the middle, then put a couple of spoonfuls of pickled beets on top. It was delicious. I think it cost around $12 each. I think cokes were around $4 each. We just had water but the other couple had cokes.

After dinner, we saw the boys marching band and the horse drawn carriage. I really enjoyed that. We saw them several times during the evening. We went to a jazz performance and a swing band. Both bands were excellent. We were too tired to stay for the fireworks. We enjoyed the beautiful flower displays amongst water and rides. It was fun and the lights delightful.

I think Tivoli is a must expierence in Copenhagen. I have been during the day and at night and I think at night is the better choice. If for no other reason, you must go their and have a most unusal "ice cream cone concoction".

I don't know how long the Hans Christian Anderson extravaganza will run in Tivoli -- but it was absolutely wonderful!!! We were there in the very beginning of June, and I was enthralled by the show of huge figures from his works (carried on gigantic tall poles), fireworks, music, narration, in Danish so not intelligible to me. It was one of the high points of the trip. Absolutely enchanting -- would make Disney blush.

You will enjoy Tivoli. We were just there 8 days ago. Much entertainment and the place is exciting. My kids enjoyed the rides too. They had a wicked roller coaster.

Our party also got to see the Crown Prince who was out there for dinner that night. And night is when you want to go.

There are a few good looking restaurants and even a Hard Rock Cafe. However You might eat early or see if you can book as the ones we wanted to eat at had 1-2 hour waits and we ended up eating at a dump.

Another good thing is the canal tour. It is at the end of Stroget at Nyhaven. There are 2 operators. The one at the end of the canal is the oldest and costs more. There is one on the right side close to the end that has blue boats. We took this and saved money. They do identical tours too. A cabbie gave us this tip and the hotel confirmed it. This tour is quick and fun and not too expensive.

Neil

Archived