Spoiled by S-Class.... Should I worry about Connie?

JAMESFALLETTA

Celebrity is my new favorite cruise line, and after 3 straight terrific s-class cruises, I've booked the Constellation for 14 nights this April. I got a good rate and downgraded to inside.

Recent reviews of the Constellation have been spotty (noro-virus issues notwithstanding) and I see tons of cabins still available. Through information (and some incorrect information I'm sure) which I have gathered from celebrity and on these boards, my main concern is that solsticizing didn't improve the following:

-Buffet area is a cafeteria line and not easily access stations like s-class

-Deck chairs are plastic and not nearly as nice as padded ones on s-class

-Cabins have tiny tvs, little storage, and shower curtains rather than doors

-The dining room chairs don't have armrests (I know how trivial that is, but a big deal to me for a 2 hour dinner)

I guess I just love s-class and have nothing else to compare it to with Celebrity. That said I know I'll have a great time, just trying to lower my expectations a bit. Should I?

I guess it depends what you look for in a cruise. The Connie is my favorite Celebrity ship. Just got off a 2 week cruise in December. Officer engagement with the passengers was exceptional. The crew is exceptionally friendly, much more so than my experience on the Eclipse.

I've never seen plastic chairs on deck, so I'm not sure what you're referring to. The Connie has the same loungers the S class does.

I'd go with an open mind and make your own judgment.

I prefer the M class ships to the S class, although will be on the Solstice in 5 weeks as I prefer Celebrity over other lines.

As to some of your questions:

There is actually more storage in the M class cabins and it is more well laid out, IMO, and acording to many posters on these boards.

Yes, there are shower curtains - not an issue for me.

Dining room chairs - I've not noticed the presence or absence of arms, but found the chairs on the Silhouette to be very heavy, with deep seats, and difficult to move (for me or for the staff to assist me). Rather uncomfortable for a 5'2" lady.

Buffet - Set up differently on the 2 classes, as you mentioned. However, there is plenty of seating on both classes and trays to carry your food and drinks on the M class ships. Different - not better or worse, IMO. (Do wish there were trays on S class, oh, well.)

You didn't ask, but I'll add why I prefer M class ships:

The deck plan that includes a lovely atrium not used as an activity/music venue connected to the "quiet" areas of the ship.

The presence of the Rendesvous Lounge. Great for dancing before and after dinner/shows.

The T Pool (DH's very favorite thing!).

Do hope you'll enjoy your cruise on the Connie.

Hope you'll report when you return. Will be interested in your perspective.

From what I have read once from a 'Connie' loyalist is that she is a terrible ship with bad food and lousy entertainment. But I think this is just a ploy to keep her all to themselves! ;) I can't imagine she would have one of the most dedicated followings in the Celebrity fleet if she was lacking in services and features.

I am one of the few who eagerly await her transfer to the short-market cruises out of Miami. I hope to book another 10-night B2B on her similar to what I did on the Celebrity Millennium last month.

As someone has said before, there's no such thing as a bad Celebrity ship.

The Connie, while recently updated, has become a second-class ship in my opinion. I have sailed several times on both the Solstice and M class ships. I find the cabins to be much more comfortable on the S class. They are larger, have better bedding and much nicer bathrooms. I have found the food on the Connie to have slipped a lot in the past few years. The service is still first class, but the recent rennovations amounted to revenue enhancements. She is an aging ship and will be moved to Miami for shorter cruises next year; clearly an indication of X's plans for her. The Solstice class ships are about as good as it gets in this price range.

2 years ago we sailed on the Equinox and loved it. Then we booked a cruise on the Connie. Like OP we were worried. However we just loved our 12 days in the Baltic on Connie.

Plus Side:

The staff are outstanding, the storage is better than S class, the Rondevous Lounge is cosy and well located, the theatre is a good size. Now that the Connie has been Solsitized you will find many of the same venues for dining and relaxing. The room TV's are flat screen maybe a bit smaller. While there was a shower curtain, the shower was so roomy that it didn't bother us. There are all new carpeting, bedding and draperies in the state rooms.

Negative Side:

The beds have not been updated nor has the balcony furniture.

I love, love, love the M class ships, and Connie is still my favorite of all the Celebrity ships I have sailed (and I have sailed most including all M and most S). My only real complaint would be the beds - I long for the day when they replace those mattresses! As for an egg crate topper and that will help. Overall I like the M class design better, love the Rendevous Lounge, and absolutely love the T pool. It is my favorite spot on all their ships. I have found food inconsistent on all X ships - it doesn't seem to matter whether it is M class or S class. I have had great food on each, and not-so-great food on each (in that latter case, that would be for a meal or two; not for the whole cruise). Service also varies depending on ship and has no regard for class - in fact I have had some of my absolute best service on the older ships.

You will not be disappointed unless your happiness is dependent on having a larger ship and newer furnishings. I personally prefer the smaller (but definitely NOT small) M class ships - they are just more comfortable IMHO. Furnishings?? Who gives a hoot as long as they are still nice, clean, and comfortable, which all M class are.

-Buffet area is a cafeteria line and not easily access stations like s-class

Buffet area is many different stations - just not separated like on the s-class. It is not one big cafeteria line.

-Deck chairs are plastic and not nearly as nice as padded ones on s-class

The deck chairs on Deck 10 around the pool are all padded

-Cabins have tiny tvs, little storage, and shower curtains rather than doors

TV's are flat panel (26"?) Plenty of storage (more than s-class) Yes, shower curtain but not a problem

-The dining room chairs don't have armrests (I know how trivial that is, but a big deal to me for a 2 hour dinner) That is correct - no armrests, but still comfortable. I prefer armrests myself.

You will love the Connie if you can overcome the above! :)

I've cruised on Infinity, then Solstice (first season), Infinity again, and Silhouette, and am booked on Summit later this spring. I feel relieved to be returning to M class. The Silhouette seemed kind of glazed over, too mechanized - and with some poor design decisions: bad dining chairs, stateroom bathroom sinks poised to put water all over the floor, and elevators that never came. Stateroom and dining room service on recent Silhouette cruise was the least good of my four X cruises. Food on all had its ups and downs, but was generally reliable.

And, to echo what another poster said: NOT a cafeteria line. And the M class ships have these great reverse skylights on the floor of the buffet seating so you can look down at the ocean.

Been on the Connie & the Silhouette. Although the S class is lovely, I prefer the M class. I love the T pool. The S class indoor pool is a bit chilly. I missed the Rendevous lounge. I think its silly to stand around and watch dancing or a band in the middle of guest relations. I also like the grill on the same floor as the pool. The Connie may be a bit older she is still my preference because the T pool & Rendevous lounge are important to my enjoyment of a cruise.

Five =X= cruises: Two on the Constellation one pre- and and one post- renovation, one on the Equinox. Loved both classes but sorely missed the Thalassotherapy pool on the Equinox. What were they thinking when they didn't include it on S-class ships? :confused:

Bon voyage!

Betsy

For those who like going to the AquaSpa grill for lunch, the general layout and availability of seating is much better on the Constellation that it is on the Solstice class ships.

Because of the way it is jammed in a corner on the Solstice class, we tended to ignore it even though it is our favorite lunch spot on the M class ships.

Art

Archived