Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

When a lawsuit is related to anything that did not cause physical harm of any kind' date=' loss of income, or devaluation of an investment-the lawsuit settlement proceeds and punitive damages will be taxable.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=248471,00.html#_Toc305586646[/quote']

You are referring to passengers from USA, but the majority of passengers were not American. :) Each country will have its own tax laws.

Another tragedy for Carnival Corp - this time on the Carnival Fantasy. A young man dies falling from an upper deck to the atrium. Wonder if this is a result of all the drinks they try to push on people or just a freak accident. At any rate not looking good for Carnival...another lawsuit to contend with :(

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/28/passenger-on-carnival-cruise-to-bahamas-dies-after-fall-from-upper-deck/

Very sad. But the speculation about it being possibly drink-related is not appropriate? Of course, there is that possibilty as there are many, many other possibilities. No neeed to tarnish the victim and possibly further distress his family at this stage? The facts will emerge in due course, certainly at the inquest.

Thanks everyone for you support I never imagined one silly comment would mean someone to tell me they wished I had died on the ship, but people can be very strange.

Michelle, I am absolutely horrified that someone would even think that for a moment, but to put it in writing where you would see it if unforgivable (in my opinion). All I can think is that the person did not put their brain into gear.

It is strange what can get people into hot water. Shortly after this tragedy occurred, an Aussie poster headed a thread "Italian showing off??" and he really copped it.

Keep strong and ignore any negatives. :D:D

Whoaa.....Sorry I did not mean to offend or tarnish anyone's reputation but it is a given that there is a tremendous amount of booze consumed on cruise ships. Like you say anything is possible but the ship was docked and not moving so falling from an upper deck to a lower deck reeks of horseplay whether or not alcohol was involved.

This forum is a sounding board for exchanging thoughts and ideas and from what I gather, there is a lot of speculating going on here and that's the beauty of it. We may never know the facts - as a matter of fact there was a very publicized death on a RCCL ship of a passenger (on his honeymoon in the Mediterranean) who was from the state where I live - that happened 6 years ago and those facts are not known and never will be known.

Very sad. But the speculation about it being possibly drink-related is not appropriate? Of course, there is that possibilty as there are many, many other possibilities. No neeed to tarnish the victim and possibly further distress his family at this stage? The facts will emerge in due course, certainly at the inquest.

Agreed. Arison's first public appearance since the tragedy at a NBA game is not helping matters much:

"Carnival Corp Chairman and Chief Executive Micky Arison on Friday made what was believed to be his first public appearance ....."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/28/us-ship-italy-arison-idUSTRE80R08T20120128

If you want to know more about Carnival Corporation, Carnival Cruise lines, and how this giant industry started, I highly recommend the reading of "The Devil on the Deep Blue Sea" by Garin.

It is the story of Ted Arison, Stan McDonald of Princess (now owned by Carnival) and playboy son Mickey, since turned very business like, after his fathers death, and the other players, that today, make up about 90% of the cruise industry.

I truly believe, that if Ted Arison were alive today, Costa's top people would be toppling like timber in a forest, being cut down by a massive chain saw.........to give the line a "breath of fresh air". I wonder if Mickey has that ability?

He is a good businessman, but not nearly as ruthless as his father. If Costa fails, it's really because Mickey Arison......who is the "Top Boss" has not taken the time to show up in Italy, to meet with the top people of Costa, fired half on general principle, and has the other half working 24/7 to put this cruise line back in place.

The cruiseline is as much to blame as the captain. It's the cruiseline, who allowed such a show to happen in the first place, and on Friday, the 13th of January.......the show, that had gone on for some time.......came to an end.

Italians, from the town of Sorrento, which has a world class naval academy, have produced some of the finest seagoing people that live! Sorrento is proud of the number of officers and sailors that work for the finest fleets in the world.

I may be wrong, but I think that Ted Arison is turning over in his grave, at the way his son is handling this mess!

And to Michelle........thanks for staying with us. I would not want to experience your 5 hours of cruising starting on Friday the 13th. Thank God you are alive, and willing to express yourself on this thread.:)

Rick

Thanks rubrrick! Just ordered the book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Devils-Deep-Blue-Sea-Cruise-Ship/dp/0670034185/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327801137&sr=8-1- will be reading it on my cruise to Bermuda.

Now that Disney has announced that it will be crusing out of the Port of Miami there will be competition from another Mickey for Arison - he should be stepping up to the plate now more than ever!

If you want to know more about Carnival Corporation, Carnival Cruise lines, and how this giant industry started, I highly recommend the reading of "The Devil on the Deep Blue Sea" by Garin.

It is the story of Ted Arison, Stan McDonald of Princess (now owned by Carnival) and playboy son Mickey, since turned very business like, after his fathers death, and the other players, that today, make up about 90% of the cruise industry.

I truly believe, that if Ted Arison were alive today, Costa's top people would be toppling like timber in a forest, being cut down by a massive chain saw.........to give the line a "breath of fresh air". I wonder if Mickey has that ability?

He is a good businessman, but not nearly as ruthless as his father. If Costa fails, it's really because Mickey Arison......who is the "Top Boss" has not taken the time to show up in Italy, to meet with the top people of Costa, fired half on general principle, and has the other half working 24/7 to put this cruise line back in place.

The cruiseline is as much to blame as the captain. It's the cruiseline, who allowed such a show to happen in the first place, and on Friday, the 13th of January.......the show, that had gone on for some time.......came to an end.

Italians, from the town of Sorrento, which has a world class naval academy, have produced some of the finest seagoing people that live! Sorrento is proud of the number of officers and sailors that work for the finest fleets in the world.

I may be wrong, but I think that Ted Arison is turning over in his grave, at the way his son is handling this mess!

And to Michelle........thanks for staying with us. I would not want to experience your 5 hours of cruising starting on Friday the 13th. Thank God you are alive, and willing to express yourself on this thread.:)

Rick

I know many, many posts back there were a few people (Fury comes to mind) trying to do a very detailed chronology of events on the night of the 13th, and some of the times didn't make sense. Has anyone on this forum done a recent spreadsheet type of thing or have a good chronology they would wish to post?

I believe that was previous discussed here but thanks for the link.

Some people noted it is probably the Peruvian woman crew member. Bless her soul.

I don't think this has been posted before.

Also ship is getting heavier due to waterlogging

http://www.news.com.au/world/costa-concordia-death-toll-reaches-17/story-e6frfkyi-1226256372978

Archived