Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Now you are in 'Gods country' you can visit some better sites than those 'bumps'

I've been to Ben Nevis...and climbed Arthur's Seat...those were pretty big bumps! :D

I still get a kick out of imagining a bunch of Romans thinking "hey, we'll keep those bandy-legged barbarians out by piling up these rocks" and the barbarians in question thinking "hey, look at this nice pile of rocks! How convenient. Now I can finish building my house..."

My point entirely - to the American people, the crossing by the Mayflower carrying 102 people, later to be dubbed "The Pilgrim Fathers", was the one single event in your history that everything else stems from. Of the 50 that survived that first awful winter in Plimoth, came ten American Presidents and thousands of other noteable people.

The Mayflower was built in one of the many shipyards in Harwich, Essex, UK. The Master was Christopher Jones, who was born and raised in Harwich, along with many of the crew. His friend was Christopher Newport (also born and raised in Harwich) that some thirteen years previous to the 1620 crossing, led three ships to Virginia. The settlement of 100 men was named Jamestown, after King James who was on the English throne at that time.

The Mayflower that sits at Plymouth Rock is a three quarter size replica and we in Harwich are building a new full-sized "Mayflower of Harwich" that will sail to Cape Cod in 2020 on the 400th anniversary carrying decendents of the original Mayflower. We are a registered charity in the UK and soon to be in the USA. Information can be found on the Internet by searching on Harwichmayflower.

I am one of a zillion or so mayflower descendants, I hope you post more of this on another thread. I am interested.

I've been to Ben Nevis...and climbed Arthur's Seat...those were pretty big bumps! :D

I still get a kick out of imagining a bunch of Romans thinking "hey, we'll keep those bandy-legged barbarians out by piling up these rocks" and the barbarians in question thinking "hey, look at this nice pile of rocks! How convenient. Now I can finish building my house..."

Please keep it clean, just because we wear kilts there is no need to bring down the tone of the conversation lol........

Think the wall was slightly bigger then ! They honestly believed it was to keep us out but we were using reverse Psychology - We have our secret weapon too - the midgey !!!!

rgds

:):D:D

Am going to see Hadrians wall one day, I have promised myself :-) maybe 2015 when we come over for the 200th of Waterloo and the 600th of Agincourt, and yes I know they are not in the UK but when one flies form Australia the distance travelling within Europe is really irrelevant.

Michelle, I am part of a Napoleonic re-enactment group (yes, I'm German but we do portray the 92nd Gordon Highlanders who were part of Wellingtons Army in 1815) and we take part in the Waterloo battle re-enactment every year. A few years ago we actually hosted a few Australians...

If you need any infos and/or help regading 2015 please don't hesitate to contact me.

I am glad that you got home safely and hope that you will be able to "square away" your experience on the Concordia fairly quickly.

It took me over a week to read the entire thread and I am grateful for everybody who has made this an excellent resource on so many aspects of cruising und the grounding of the Concordia. Unfortunately the dead/missing persons lists are quite loaded with Germans, many of which are from my part of the country. But my heart goes out to all who have been affected by this seemingly stupid, as absolutely unnessecary, incident.

I'm yet to book my first cruise (will be this year for sure) but Costa has been ruled out early on for several reasons which are not connected to the Concordia tragedy. So my answers to the closed poll would have been NO x 4.

Thanks everyone for you support I never imagined one silly comment would mean someone to tell me they wished I had died on the ship, but people can be very strange.

No problem Michelle!! And it was not a silly comment:) Look at the dialogue that has ensued. We are learning things we thought we knew and have had pointed out just how wrong we were:o

Though, I must say, even my hubby who is a brilliant man (Yes, he is a braniac:D) thought the same as I for the MD Line...

Joanie

Michelle, I am part of a Napoleonic re-enactment group (yes, I'm German but we do portray the 92nd Gordon Highlanders who were part of Wellingtons Army in 1815) and we take part in the Waterloo battle re-enactment every year. A few years ago we actually hosted a few Australians...

If you need any infos and/or help regading 2015 please don't hesitate to contact me.

I am glad that you got home safely and hope that you will be able to "square away" your experience on the Concordia fairly quickly.

It took me over a week to read the entire thread and I am grateful for everybody who has made this an excellent resource on so many aspects of cruising und the grounding of the Concordia. Unfortunately the dead/missing persons lists are quite loaded with Germans, many of which are from my part of the country. But my heart goes out to all who have been affected by this seemingly stupid, as absolutely unnessecary, incident.

I'm yet to book my first cruise (will be this year for sure) but Costa has been ruled out early on for several reasons which are not connected to the Concordia tragedy. So my answers to the closed poll would have been NO x 4.

Hey de_montsoreau!!! Welcome to our "little thread on the Web" :) Yeah, 130 pages and still going:)

Got an off topic, well almost off topic question for you....What part of Germany?? I ask because hubby and I were stationed (well hubby was, I am just married to him:D) with the US Army in Herbornseelbach (North of Giesen by about 45 kilometers), Gunzberg, Sinnsheim (halfway between Heidelberg and Heilbronn) and Pirmasens (halfway between Kaiserslautern and the French border town of Bitche. And yes, ALL the kids loved to pronounce the English version without the 'e' on the end:D

Joanie

Another tragedy for Carnival Corp - this time on the Carnival Fantasy. A young man dies falling from an upper deck to the atrium. Wonder if this is a result of all the drinks they try to push on people or just a freak accident. At any rate not looking good for Carnival...another lawsuit to contend with :(

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/28/passenger-on-carnival-cruise-to-bahamas-dies-after-fall-from-upper-deck/

[quote=IRL_Joanie;32176986

Last name was Monge and he was a Haberdasher (Hat Maker)

A hatmaker is a milliner. A haberdasher is a person who sells small articles for sewing, such as buttons, ribbons, zips etc. Though I doubt that your ancestor sold zips!

And I am HIGHLY embarrassed at being such a dunce with my own history:o:o

Joanie

Not to worry Joanie it's not like we ever use the term. Like you said it was interesting digging up the historical aspect with the help of the CC community.

Saw your website in your signature and have been perusing it for new recipes to try on my DH. Think I'll give him one of your Wang Wang drinks before dinner. Thanks for a great site! ;)

Carnival Corp is going to have to start speaking up. They may want to separate themselves from this but it's just not possible. Now with the strike and a death on a CCL ship, it's time to step up.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/travel/2012/01/26/experts-say-carnival-should-have-learned-from-wendys-fedex-post-crisis/?test=bizsolutions

Carnival Corp is going to have to start speaking up. They may want to separate themselves from this but it's just not possible. Now with the strike and a death on a CCL ship, it's time to step up.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/travel/2012/01/26/experts-say-carnival-should-have-learned-from-wendys-fedex-post-crisis/?test=bizsolutions

I did hear/read or something a while back that even though all these lines are under Carnival's umbrella, they let them run on there own with their own management, etc. Maybe it's time they start getting a better grasp on all their babies and tightening some control up.

Agreed. Arison's first public appearance since the tragedy at a NBA game is not helping matters much:

"Carnival Corp Chairman and Chief Executive Micky Arison on Friday made what was believed to be his first public appearance ....."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/28/us-ship-italy-arison-idUSTRE80R08T20120128

Not to worry Joanie it's not like we ever use the term. Like you said it was interesting digging up the historical aspect with the help of the CC community.

Saw your website in your signature and have been perusing it for new recipes to try on my DH. Think I'll give him one of your Wang Wang drinks before dinner. Thanks for a great site! ;)

Thanks for understanding:)

BTW y'all I have over 2500 Holland America Line Recipes given to me on a thumb drive by the Executive Chef on the Zuiderdam this last September.

If you know of a recipe you want or one that you think might be a common food on any line, just ask and I will search and see if I have the recipe or one that might be it under another name...

My site... It is ONLY with the awesome support of my fellow CC members that I can do it:) And I am about 6 weeks behind in posting new photos. Every time I try to catch up, something happens; i.e., Thanksgiving in Alabama at daughter's, got sick, Christmas and then Concordia... I HAVE to catch up this coming week!!!

Joanie

......DUMP Costa completely. Whether it is sold or just liquidated, they need to distance themselves completely from anything to do with Costa.....

Joanie

I thought the quality of the food and the service on the Costa ships was much better before Carnival Corp. took them over.

Archived