Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

See, my point exactly!! If I, as a US citizen, born and educated here, did not even realize/know the true history of the Mason Dixon Line, how can we expect someone from another country to do so??

Thank you to all who have corrected me and my lack of historical knowledge.... And I thought I was a history buff.... NOT anymore, as proven by my fellow Cruise Critic family!!:)

Joanie

Hi Joanie,

Carrying on that theme - how many folks born and raised in the USA know (without looking on the Internet) where the most famous ship that ever sailed - "The Mayflower" - was built?

I have lectured on cruise ships about the Mayflower story, the Pilgrim Fathers and the crew of the ship and I am always astounded how few Americans know where she was built, who her master was and where he was born and raised.

Any no cheating guesses??

I'm assuming that $14,460 is each for every man, woman, and child. There may have been a few solo cruisers on there but usually it was 2-3 in a room. If a couple with one child received $43,000 plus a refund for their cruise fares then I would think it would cover any computers, clothing etc quite well and then some.

The actual amount offered was in Euros, so the $14,460 is a result of the conversion.

There is also the additional 3000 Euros for passenger fare.

For me, as a single cruiser, that would not be fair. Single cruisers pay almost double for a stateroom. Wonder if I would I have received the additional fare.

I'm assuming that $14,460 is each for every man, woman, and child. There may have been a few solo cruisers on there but usually it was 2-3 in a room. If a couple with one child received $43,000 plus a refund for their cruise fares then I would think it would cover any computers, clothing etc quite well and then some.

The way I am reading it, it is per person.

Being it is income - how much tax would each person have to pay on it?

I also read it from La Repubblica. The article said the victim is a woman, a crew member and was not wearing a life jacket. Since only one crew member has not been accounted for, it was thought this victim would be the missing Peruvian crew member. This is what I got out out the article with a translator.

What should be noted here is the percentage of dead related to the number of passengers compared to the percentage of dead related to the number of crew aboard.

Correct me if I am wrong but in all other major nautical disasters to date, the highest percentage has always been doing the crew math. On the Concordia the highest percentage will be doing the passenger math!! When you consider that most of the crew occupy cabins on the lowest decks and work in areas that are less evacuation friendly, you would suppose that many more of the crew would have died.

It could be argued that the captain had made sure that his crew and himself were able to escape before he gave the order to abandon ship. It has been noted that many crew and entertainers dropped what they were doing and fled, leaving the passengers to do what they will. It may never come to light, but is it inconceivable to think that the officers and crew had an unwritten abandon ship procedure to save themselves first? Certainly all the waiters seem to have acted in unison - and many were seen to be pushing people aside to get on a lifeboat. Human instict of self preservation will always cut through the best laid plans and procedures.

Hi Joanie,

Carrying on that theme - how many folks born and raised in the USA know (without looking on the Internet) where the most famous ship that ever sailed - "The Mayflower" - was built?

I have lectured on cruise ships about the Mayflower story, the Pilgrim Fathers and the crew of the ship and I am always astounded how few Americans know where she was built, who her master was and where he was born and raised.

Any no cheating guesses??

Duh.... I have no idea:( If I guess correctly....Do I get a star or something:)

I think she might have been built in Itally or The Netherlands. Unsure of the Captain;s name, am pretty sure was not John Smith...

You know, I should know these things as my ancestor came over on the 2nd sailing of her as a registered passenger. Last name was Monge and he was a Haberdasher (Hat Maker)

I'd cheat and look in my Monger family history book, but I gave it to my daughter, our family historian a few years ago.

OK, now I am on my way to find the correct answers:)

Edited to correct ancestors last name: Monger not Monge

Joanie

I don't think it will be counted as income, but compensation for loss which is not taxable. I may be wrong.

When a lawsuit is related to anything that did not cause physical harm of any kind, loss of income, or devaluation of an investment-the lawsuit settlement proceeds and punitive damages will be taxable.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=248471,00.html#_Toc305586646

What should be noted here is the percentage of dead related to the number of passengers compared to the percentage of dead related to the number of crew aboard.

Correct me if I am wrong but in all other major nautical disasters to date, the highest percentage has always been doing the crew math. On the Concordia the highest percentage will be doing the passenger math!! When you consider that most of the crew occupy cabins on the lowest decks and work in areas that are less evacuation friendly, you would suppose that many more of the crew would have died.

It could be argued that the captain had made sure that his crew and himself were able to escape before he gave the order to abandon ship. It has been noted that many crew and entertainers dropped what they were doing and fled, leaving the passengers to do what they will. It may never come to light, but is it inconceivable to think that the officers and crew had an unwritten abandon ship procedure to save themselves first? Certainly all the waiters seem to have acted in unison - and many were seen to be pushing people aside to get on a lifeboat. Human instict of self preservation will always cut through the best laid plans and procedures.

With a passenger to crew ratio of about 3 to 1, the ratio of the unfortunate souls between passenger and crew is loop-sided. However, it may just be a sample size issue. While what you said may very well be true, I'd rather wait for the facts (if it ever comes out). I've been mis-informed too many times by the media already.

There is also the additional 3000 Euros for passenger fare.

For me, as a single cruiser, that would not be fair. Single cruisers pay almost double for a stateroom. Wonder if I would I have received the additional fare.

its up to 3000 euro per fare and that would have been the cost of almost a suit on this cruise our fare for the balcony cabin was a lot less than 3000 euro.

Miami Herald reports law suit filed in Miami on Friday:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/01/27/v-fullstory/2612389/settlement-offered-to-costa-concordia.html

Late Friday afternoon, a suit on behalf of six passengers was filed in federal court in Miami seeking $10 million in compensatory damages and $450 million in punitive damages.

Agree with you on that one De La Cruise,(may I use Tom?)

I felt we were able to have an interesting few posts that did generate an interesting line of conversation amongst others as well.

With good intention and as you nicely put it, civility, we can all get along.

As it turns out the Mason-Dixon marker stones would be something that I'd be interested in seeing. Now if it weren't for that post i would have never known about them.:)

Hey Ozcruiser1 we have two in the UK - One is the Watford gap, and the second is Hadrians wall lol..........

Rgds

:D:D:D

Duh.... I have no idea:( If I guess correctly....Do I get a star or something:)

I think she might have been built in Itally or The Netherlands. Unsure of the Captain;s name, am pretty sure was not John Smith...

You know, I should know these things as my ancestor came over on the 2nd sailing of her as a registered passenger. Last name was Monge and he was a Haberdasher (Hat Maker)

I'd cheat and look in my Monger family history book, but I gave it to my daughter, our family historian a few years ago.

OK, now I am on my way to find the correct answers:)

Edited to correct ancestors last name: Monger not Monge

Joanie

My point entirely - to the American people, the crossing by the Mayflower carrying 102 people, later to be dubbed "The Pilgrim Fathers", was the one single event in your history that everything else stems from. Of the 50 that survived that first awful winter in Plimoth, came ten American Presidents and thousands of other noteable people.

The Mayflower was built in one of the many shipyards in Harwich, Essex, UK. The Master was Christopher Jones, who was born and raised in Harwich, along with many of the crew. His friend was Christopher Newport (also born and raised in Harwich) that some thirteen years previous to the 1620 crossing, led three ships to Virginia. The settlement of 100 men was named Jamestown, after King James who was on the English throne at that time.

The Mayflower that sits at Plymouth Rock is a three quarter size replica and we in Harwich are building a new full-sized "Mayflower of Harwich" that will sail to Cape Cod in 2020 on the 400th anniversary carrying decendents of the original Mayflower. We are a registered charity in the UK and soon to be in the USA. Information can be found on the Internet by searching on Harwichmayflower.

Am going to see Hadrians wall one day, I have promised myself :-) maybe 2015 when we come over for the 200th of Waterloo and the 600th of Agincourt, and yes I know they are not in the UK but when one flies form Australia the distance travelling within Europe is really irrelevant.

John

PS

I ordered a full sheet cake designed as an oversized Medicare Card. LOL

I hope you don't end up wearing that cake. ;)

its up to 3000 euro per fare and that would have been the cost of almost a suit on this cruise our fare for the balcony cabin was a lot less than 3000 euro.

I usually get what RCI refers to as a Jr suite tho sometimes I get a full suite. Don't know how Costa has their staterooms listed.

Thanks for that info.

Archived