Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

So, Jrosati,

Pray tell us about your experience then. Would you sail on Costa again?

Yes, I'd sail with Costa again.

My comment about a boat full of Americans wasn't and anti American jibe. My comment was aimed De La Cruze, who considered not travelling with Costa as it was full of Italians.

My comment about a boat full of Americans wasn't and anti American jibe. My comment was aimed De La Cruze, who considered not travelling with Costa as it was full of Italians.

All cultures have their strong and weak points. For the most part it just depends on what you are used to.

How Mutiny Story Started:

Dominica said: "Captain, baby, I want some strawberries and cream". Captain Coward went to the galley and was told they were out of strawberries and cream.

The Captain ordered the Executive Chef and the Restaurant Manager to the bridge. When they arrived, the Captain empaneled a board of inquiry, comprised of the senior officers and chaired by the visiting Captain, to investigate the missing straberries and cream.

The board of inquiry wanted to change the focus from strawberries to the sinking ship but Captain Coward insisted the missing strawberries were more important. Whereupon, the ships's senior officers told the Captain to go ashore and get Dominica her strawberries and then ordered "Abandon ship" :eek::D

hmmm so all around the world we are supposed to remove natural rocks in the sea close to the shorelines of all cities so that it prevents crazy captains from running over them? That seems like a fair solution. :eek:

I'm hoping the pen is stuck on my sarcasm gauge...when I said 'rock problem' I meant the rock jammed into Concordia's hull. ;)

Once the boulder is cracked into small, manageable pieces removal will be easy as tripping into a lifeboat!

Cheers,

Norman

While each individual will have a different story, for some a quick $14,000 and put this behind them is worth considering. Assuming that the last night of the cruise the ship sinks near Miami instead of arriving in Port Canaveral the following morning, and assuming a couple pay $2,000 for the cruise, another $2,000 in transportation and lodging costs, plus loose $1,000 in clothing and another $2,000 in electronics then they are out $7,000. If they receive $28,000 in return and can then put this whole thing behind them, it might not be a bad deal.

How many people on the US Air flight that landed in the Hudson still fly? How many people that have been in an auto accident still drive? This might not be a good deal for everyone, but for many it might be worth considering.

They are offering the 11,000 Euros PLUS reimbursement of the cruise cost and cost of flight home. Looks like the passengers are out as far as clothes, electronics, etc. but Costa will return the contents of your safe (yeah, and pigs fly).

How Mutiny Story Started:

Dominica said: "Captain, baby, I want some strawberries and cream". Captain Coward went to the galley and was told they were out of strawberries and cream.

The Captain ordered the Executive Chef and the Restaurant Manager to the bridge. When they arrived, the Captain empaneled a board of inquiry, comprised of the senior officers and chaired by the visiting Captain, to investigate the missing straberries and cream.

The board of inquiry wanted to change the focus from strawberries to the sinking ship but Captain Coward insisted the missing strawberries were more important. Whereupon, the ships's senior officers told the Captain to go ashore and get Dominica her strawberries and then ordered "Abandon ship" :eek::D

Well, going further on your story, and knowing what movie you are talking about, I tend to think Schettino won't be pulling ball bearings out of his pockets.

It was obvious he doesn't have a sense of bearings, or he wouldn't have grounded the ship, and also lacks the b***s, or he would have stayed on the ship.

I'm hoping the pen is stuck on my sarcasm gauge...when I said 'rock problem' I meant the rock jammed into Concordia's hull. ;)

Once the boulder is cracked into small, manageable pieces removal will be easy as tripping into a lifeboat!

Cheers,

Norman

Yeah, I got that, someone pointed out my misunderstanding of what you wrote.

people from outside europe might wanna claim the compensation before euro drops further down

By the time that any lawsuits settle, for those who do not take the compensation offer, it is likely that Italy will no longer be on the Euro.

Hey Jrosati and Cruzer2!

I took great pains to emphasize that it had NOTHING to do with them being Italians. Let me reproduce what I wrote:

"So the issue is more socio-economic rather than one of nationality."

So there's no ambiguity here - nationality never came into the picture. If you still think so...but enough already - no point flogging a dead horse!

In any event, I'm entitled to choose which Cruise Line I'll sail on just as you are entitled to so choose. I chose not to sail on Costa...ever again, and as the Concordia incident showed, it was probably fortuitous on my part! Let us respect our respective rights to choose who to sail with.

Well, going further on your story, and knowing what movie you are talking about, I tend to think Schettino won't be pulling ball bearings out of his pockets.

It was obvious he doesn't have a sense of bearings, or he wouldn't have grounded the ship, and also lacks the b***s, or he would have stayed on the ship.

Right on target. Let's prepare a research syllabus:

Der Speiegel

Daily Telegraph

The Cain Mutiny

:p

I've not really broken down and cried over this disaster until today while watching it. This just makes it so real...........

Really well done.

My Immortal makes me shiver at the best of times, and combined with the images...oh, yeah. I don't blame you at all!

She was a beautiful ship. This tribute reminds us all that no one expects to go on a vacation and never go home. May all the families find peace and comfort in the memories of their loved ones that died in this tragic, senseless, careless event.

May we all never forget this tragedy and learn from it.

She was a beautiful ship. This tribute reminds us all that no one expects to go on a vacation and never go home. May all the families find peace and comfort in the memories of their loved ones that died in this tragic, senseless, careless event.

May we all never forget this tragedy and learn from it.

OMG, so well put.

A fellow CC member, IndyCal posted this beautiful tribute link to the Concordia on the HAL Board. I've not really broken down and cried over this disaster until today while watching it. This just makes it so real...........

Joanie

wow well that gave me goosebumps, we didnt even really get a chnce to have a good look around the ship before some idiot destroyed it

A fellow CC member, IndyCal posted this beautiful tribute link to the Concordia on the HAL Board. I've not really broken down and cried over this disaster until today while watching it. This just makes it so real...........

Joanie

Something else just struck me whilst I was watching this. Maybe it's just me, not sure what anyone else thinks, but the lady on deck in the lifejacket facing the camera at approx 5:10 to 5:11 into the video looks very much like Luisa Virzi who was identified this week. I wonder....?

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.ilgiornaledienna.it/rss/55-in-prima/12848-concordia-identificato-il-corpo-di-luisa-virzi---scomparsa-con-lamica-mariagrazia-trecarichi.html&ei=VgwjT9aZMM6p8QOIhb3bBw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CGwQ7gEwBg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dluisa%2Bvirzi%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3D5it%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26prmd%3Dimvnso

Something else just struck me whilst I was watching this. Maybe it's just me, not sure what anyone else thinks, but the lady on deck in the lifejacket facing the camera at approx 5:10 to 5:11 into the video looks very much like Luisa Virzi who was identified this week. I wonder....?

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.ilgiornaledienna.it/rss/55-in-prima/12848-concordia-identificato-il-corpo-di-luisa-virzi---scomparsa-con-lamica-mariagrazia-trecarichi.html&ei=VgwjT9aZMM6p8QOIhb3bBw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CGwQ7gEwBg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dluisa%2Bvirzi%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3D5it%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26prmd%3Dimvnso

OMG!!! at 5:09 is a straight on view of her face and I think you are right. OMG, that REALLY puts a face on this tragedy even more (NO PUN WAS INTENDED!!!)

Dear God, please have mercy on their souls.

Joanie

Right now, I have the Port Everglades (Florida, USA) Web Cam running, with the volume up. I just heard the Captain of Holland America Line's Maasdam as k for a "Silence On Deck" as a tribute to the Concordia tragedy.

With the Port Everglades web cam you can hear the Coast Guard/Harbor Master and Ship Communications, including between various departments on HAL ships (Have never heard anything but the Captain and Crew on other lines.)

I had not heard this Silence request before, but then again until today, I'd not heard the reinstitution of Roll Call and calling out of Stateroom passengers missing from the Life Boat Drill.

HAL does their Life Boat drills on the Promenade Deck (our ships they go all the way around the ship) and you must go to your life boat to do the drill. No meeting in Bars/Lounges, etc.

They had stopped doing Stateroom Roll Calls about 2 years ago. So hearing the Crew reporting to the Captain what stateroom were missing makes me extremely happy!!

If anyone wants to watch/hear what I am talking about go here: http://www.portevergladeswebcam.com/index.html

Joanie

OMG!!! at 5:09 is a straight on view of her face and I think you are right. OMG, that REALLY puts a face on this tragedy even more (NO PUN WAS INTENDED!!!)

Dear God, please have mercy on their souls.

Joanie

I turned cold when I saw it. The similarity struck me immediately.

The thing is, well I at least assumed those we saw on deck in lifejackets all made it onto lifeboats & were safe. If it really is her then this was obviously not the case.

I also read this article. Maybe she was assumed safe as she was at the lifeboats and her companions assumed that she (& her friend who is also amongst the missing) had just been separated & that they had made it onto a different lifeboat?

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.ilgiornale.it/interni/le_vittime_sono_16_recuperati_corpo_unanziana_passeggera_e_computer_plancia/25-01-2012/articolo-id%3D568656-page%3D0-comments%3D1&ei=VgwjT9aZMM6p8QOIhb3bBw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CEYQ7gEwAg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dluisa%2Bvirzi%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3D5it%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26prmd%3Dimvnso

PS. Edited to add, I've just read your previous post. Costa do their drill on the lifeboat decks too. The Muster stations are on deck & not in the lounges.

Got this in today's email from President & CEO of Holland America Line (HAL)

Dear Mariner:

I have heard from many of you over the past weeks expressing your sorrow over the grounding of the Costa Concordia earlier this month, and raising understandable questions in the wake of that incident. I write to address your concerns.

Like you, all of us at Holland America Line have been stunned and deeply saddened by this devastating incident. We are keeping in our thoughts and prayers all those who were onboard as well as those who lost loved ones.

As I have watched the news unfold, I naturally have reflected on our commitment each and every day to ensure the safety of our guests and crew. You entrust us with your safety. We take that responsibility very seriously. Holland America Line has nearly 140 years of operating at the highest levels of safety. We are building the record our successors will have to meet 140 years from today.

As a guest, you experience our commitment during the mandatory passenger emergency drills that take place prior to sailing. The drills are a public example of our daily focus on safety and security. Every aspect of our planning and operations takes place with safety in mind.

I am joined by a solid team of professionals who understand the critical importance of safety, many of whom have long careers at sea, whether on cruise ships, commercial ships or serving in the Coast Guard, Navy or other professional maritime organizations. Among them is Captain Cees Deelstra, our Vice President, Nautical Operations, who started his forty-year career with Holland America Line as a cadet, ultimately attaining his own command as a master before accepting a position shoreside to oversee the safe operations of our fleet. Similarly, Captain William Morani, our Vice President, Safety, Environment and Health, served for twenty-five years in the U.S. Coast Guard Marine Safety Program before joining Holland America Line. All of our captains have spent decades at sea and all have a solid record of safely sailing passenger vessels. Most have spent their career with Holland America Line.

All shipboard personnel undergo comprehensive regular safety training. This includes live onboard training, computer based courses and state of the art simulator training. We hold regular shoreside conferences for senior officers to discuss safety and other critical issues, the last as recent as October 2011. All crew participate in regular drills to ensure they know what their role is in the event of an emergency. We also drill our shoreside response team so that we are always prepared, including a simulated mass rescue exercise with the U.S. Coast Guard in Alaska.

You also need not rely solely on my word for all of this. Like every passenger vessel, each ship in our fleet undergoes mandatory inspections by Lloyds, our classification society, as well as by the Netherlands (our flag state), by the U.S. Coast Guard, and by other regulatory authorities based in the countries we visit.

Incidents such as the recent tragedy are a rare occurrence. I and the other sixteen thousand women and men of Holland America Line are committed to the safe passage of our ships, so that you can focus on the reason you came onboard. We look forward to welcoming you soon.

sig_sm.jpg

Stein Kruse

President & CEO

I received the same letter from Seabourn's President. The wording was identical (just replace "HAL" with "Seabourn" throughout). The only difference was in the last paragraph, where reference was made to the 2000 employees of Seabourn rather than the 16,000 employees of HAL.

I received the same letter from Seabourn's President. The wording was identical (just replace "HAL" with "Seabourn" throughout). The only difference was in the last paragraph, where reference was made to the 2000 employees of Seabourn rather than the 16,000 employees of HAL.

How to explain this...;. Seabourne and HAL are run together.... My HAL Personal Cruise Consultant, she works at HAL's main Offices in Seattle, is also a Seabourne PCC.

So seems right that they would only change a couple of words/numbers here or there.

Joanie

Archived