Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Italian Cruise Ship Search for Bodies Done by Touch in Complete Darkness

Here is a link to the article ...

http://news.yahoo.com/italian-cruise-ship-search-bodies-done-touch-complete-153839668--abc-news.html

I read about this family, or the mother wanting her little girl, or the brother waiting on the rock daily and my heart just breaks.

Let's do a Poll, in the aftermath of the Costa Concordia disaster:

1. Would you book a new Costa Cruise ?

2. Would you keep an existing Costa Cruise booking ?

3. Would you book a new cruise with Captain Schettino ?

4. Would you keep an existing cruise with Captain Schettino ?

1. Yes, especially on the raised and ressurected Concordia.

2. Yes.

3. N/A. He'll never sail again if the allegations are true.

4. N/A. He'll never sail again if the allegations are true.

Your chances of sailing on a raised Concordia are close to zero.

1. Not likely. Because the line got bad reviews before the disaster

2. I don't have a booking.

3. He will never sail again even if the allegations are not true.

4. He will never sail again if the allegations are true.

Well I returned to work on the 23rd like I originally should have, I think my boss may have a claim for loss of productivity ( but don;t tell him that) :o, I have had 2 drug induced full nights sleep now and am feeling a lot better, I have some counselling booked with an expert but he doesnt have any appointments available til the 9th of Feb, his sessions are $225 each.... yikes

As to the known expenses every day we think of something else we bought as a souvenier somewhere Katharine took 200 Euro with her ( christmas money and pocket money save) which she spent on cheap souveniers as a 12 year old does, they were all paid for in cash.

I have spent over $1500 in the past week on buying clothes, that I needed as we lost them.

I'll keep your secret from your boss. ;)

This is where the "trauma" part gets tricky. How does one calculate now how much treatment they may need in the future. You may only need a few sessions or you may need a dozen but at this point, you don't know.

As you say, you'll have to see what "reasonable" means to Costa.

Responses:

1. Yes_5__No_6

2. Yes_5__No_6

3. Yes_0__No_9

4. Yes_0__No_8

* No responses and undecideds not counted

Well I returned to work on the 23rd like I originally should have, I think my boss may have a claim for loss of productivity ( but don;t tell him that) :o, I have had 2 drug induced full nights sleep now and am feeling a lot better, I have some counselling booked with an expert but he doesnt have any appointments available til the 9th of Feb, his sessions are $225 each.... yikes

As to the known expenses every day we think of something else we bought as a souvenier somewhere Katharine took 200 Euro with her ( christmas money and pocket money save) which she spent on cheap souveniers as a 12 year old does, they were all paid for in cash.

I have spent over $1500 in the past week on buying clothes, that I needed as we lost them.

Michelle, we have all been following your story and are delighted that you and your family got home safely. Obviously it will take a while for you to get over this, but it probably helps to talk on this site where people have some understanding of what happened. None of us can say we "know how you feel" or fully understand what happened. Only you know that. It sounds like you have an understanding boss.:)

Please get all the professional help you need, for yourself, your daughter and your husband. Keep well and with a positive outlook.:)

Joanie,

All of the cruise lines want to reassure their customers. They want to keep the repeat cruisers as a way to show future cruisers that there are many that still believe this is a safe way to vacation.

Look how many have posted on just this thread yet only one poster has said she's not planning to book a cruise she was looking at. She has a concern about her children and wants to wait until they are older and will then think about it again. She is the customer the lines will want to reach out to and many more like her. The best way to do that is with fully occupied ships with passengers such as us.

I don't know what a crew contract reads like when the crew signs on but that could factor into it. If any offer comes to them, which I certainly believe it should no matter what the contract says, it will be different than guests.

You notice too the offer is not for those that are injured or lost loved ones.

I agree, as you say, as long as they are fair.

Class action suits can also run on for years too. Anyone that's ever been involved in one will tell you that.

As we all know cruise lines routinely deny their crew employees adequate medical treatment and refuse to pay them a decent salary.

So whose to say if an offer will be made to their crew members.

There might be something in crew's contract stating they can no sue their employer.

Even if they could sue, could they offered a lawyer???

I only hope Costa / Carnival do come up with a nice offer in recognition for what the crew did for passengers.

They missed out on getting their tips.

Coming up with a blanket compensation deal on the part of Costa asap possible is probably a very smart move. As long as the offered compensation was fair, many passengers would take it. Those who think if is unfair can opt out and use the courts.

This would also help Costa with the PR of the entire situation.

For a huge corporation that will no doubt loss millions, possibly billions, will offer a settlement in the hope of limiting the amount they may have to pay more. Thus settling quick and get the negative attention out of the lime light ( so to speak )

If the cruise line can get several to a hundred, even thousand from filing a lawsuit, that could potentially save them millions of dollars in damages.

So they are no fools.

If some do agree on accepting their offer. They better sit down and calculate all that they lost. And check that list twice.

Because there's no turning back and say can I have a do over and add something. Your out of luck.

If some do choose to sue, they have to do it within a year, as stated in the cruise booking agreement.

The way I see it, the passengers have more to gain by suing than by settling.

As we all know cruise lines routinely deny their crew employees adequate medical treatment and refuse to pay them a decent salary.

There might be something in crew's contract stating they can no sue their employer.

Even if they could sue' date=' could they offered a lawyer???[/color']

That is a very sweeping statement. I do not "know" that cruiselines routinely deny adequate medical treatment or even a decent salary. From what I have seen in Princess and P&O, the staff receive excellent medical treatment - free. I don't know about the other Carnival lines, but I think they are most likely run the same way.

Adequate salary - In most cases the salary they receive is far more than they would receive in their home country. I am excluding the staff (officers, entertainers, cruise staff etc) from 'developed' countries. The salary package for some of the crew (stewards/waiters) on some cruiselines is structured that they need tips to reach a fair wage. From what I have seen, they do quite well. Just go into the website of any of these Carnival group companies and check on the section about working on a ship. By the way, from what the crew have told us, they prefer the cruiselines that have eliminated tipping. :)

I only hope Costa / Carnival do come up with a nice offer in recognition for what the crew did for passengers.

For a huge corporation that will no doubt loss millions, possibly billions, will offer a settlement in the hope of limiting the amount they may have to pay more. Thus settling quick and get the negative attention out of the lime light ( so to speak )

If the cruise line can get several to a hundred, even thousand from filing a lawsuit, that could potentially save them millions of dollars in damages.

So they are no fools.

If some do agree on accepting their offer. They better sit down and calculate all that they lost. And check that list twice.

Because there's no turning back and say can I have a do over and add something. Your out of luck.

If some do choose to sue, they have to do it within a year, as stated in the cruise booking agreement.

No, Costa is not foolish to try this.

Have you ever been involved in a Class Action lawsuit? I have or should say am, but am not at liberty to discuss directly what the case is. One advantage is the lawyer(s) do not take any money up front but do upon settlement. If your group is successful, the lawyers will submit to a judge their expenses for the case. The judge rules how much they will be awarded from the other party. If it doesn't cover a huge (as in really huge) majority of their costs, the costs come out of your settlement, thus reducing what you will receive.

Plus they can take years to settle. I believe I am nearing the start of year 5. I won't say who is getting rich off my case. ;)

Michelle, if you read this, I am not trying to sway a decission one way or the other for you. This is just what I have experienced and I am responding to Feelin' Naughty.

A note to you tho, if you do get into a class action, you will not be able to speak of it here.

For a huge corporation that will no doubt loss millions' date=' possibly billions, will offer a settlement in the hope of limiting the amount they may have to pay more. Thus settling quick and get the negative attention out of the lime light ( so to speak ) [/color']

So they are no fools.

It all depends on what Costa offers.

You never know how much you are going to end up with in a class action, as the courts determine that and then the lawyers take their piece of the pie, depending on how much time they spent.

I am still involved in a small class action that began in 1992. (yes, 20 years !!) Had I known what I know now I would have taken the settlement offered, but was convinced by lawyers that they could get us 3 times as much. By the time this is finally done, I will probably be dead of old age or the entire judgement will be taken up in legal fees.

1. Yes

2. Yes, even though I don't have one

3. No way in h#*l

4. See my answer to #3

It all depends on what Costa offers.

You never know how much you are going to end up with in a class action, as the courts determine that and then the lawyers take their piece of the pie, depending on how much time they spent.

I am still involved in a small class action that began in 1992. (yes, 20 years !!) Had I known what I know now I would have taken the settlement offered, but was convinced by lawyers that they could get us 3 times as much. By the time this is finally done, I will probably be dead of old age or the entire judgement will be taken up in legal fees.

Depending on the settlement offered, it is often better to take it and move on with your life. Close the chapter. Lawyers will try to convince people to hold out for a bigger settlement, after all that is their job. If everyone accepted the settlements offered, they wouldn't have much business. :)

Responses:

1. Yes_6__No_6

2. Yes_6__No_6

3. Yes_0__No_10

4. Yes_0__No_9

No, Costa is not foolish to try this.

Have you ever been involved in a Class Action lawsuit? I have or should say am, but am not at liberty to discuss directly what the case is. One advantage is the lawyer(s) do not take any money up front but do upon settlement. If your group is successful, the lawyers will submit to a judge their expenses for the case. The judge rules how much they will be awarded from the other party. If it doesn't cover a huge (as in really huge) majority of their costs, the costs come out of your settlement, thus reducing what you will receive.

Plus they can take years to settle. I believe I am nearing the start of year 5. I won't say who is getting rich off my case. ;)

Michelle, if you read this, I am not trying to sway a decission one way or the other for you. This is just what I have experienced and I am responding to Feelin' Naughty.

A note to you tho, if you do get into a class action, you will not be able to speak of it here.

Before anyone runs and files a lawsuit they better know what they are doing. Any lawsuit will likely have to be filed in Italy. Costa is incorporated in Genoa, Italy. The ship is flagged in Italy. The disaster happened in Italian waters. The Italian Coast Guard responded, Italian authorities are investigating the cause. It would be under Italian law.

Before anyone runs and files a lawsuit they better know what they are doing. Any lawsuit will likely have to be filed in Italy. Costa is incorporated in Genoa, Italy. The ship is flagged in Italy. The disaster happened in Italian waters. The Italian Coast Guard responded, Italian authorities are investigating the cause. It would be under Italian law.

True. Cases will have to be filed in Italy and follow Italian law. From what I understand, lawyers from the US and the UK are working with lawyers in Italy in order to handle this.

True. Cases will have to be filed in Italy and follow Italian law. From what I understand, lawyers from the US and the UK are working with lawyers in Italy in order to handle this.

Granted this is the way it has to be done, but that means more hands in the pot $$$. It would be nice if Costa would offer the survivors an amount that is deemed acceptable and the families of the ones that died what is right and avoided all this legal ongoing battle and stress because they are gonna pay up in the butt in the end anyhow. I can see some of the survivors accepting it if it's decent enough, but I don't see families of loved ones accepting what they offer no matter what.

Not sure if this was discussed but here's one possibility of getting rid of the (rock) problem!

Drill some holes, pour and wait. Then the small pieces can be lifted out and hauled away.

Cheers,

Norman

hmmm so all around the world we are supposed to remove natural rocks in the sea close to the shorelines of all cities so that it prevents crazy captains from running over them? That seems like a fair solution. :eek:

Responses:

1. Yes_5__No_6

2. Yes_5__No_6

3. Yes_0__No_9

4. Yes_0__No_8

#1 yes, but they have gone downhill since Carnival took over so the price would have to be right

#2 yes

#3 NO!

#4 Absolutely not! I had the "pleasure" of sailing on the Concordia with Capt. Chicken a few years ago and I am happy that he did not pull a stunt on that cruise; I would never take that chance again. Of course he will never sail again so this question is pointless.

Responses:

1. no

2. no

3. no

4. no

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. No. Besides his next cruise (not that he would get hired) could be after a 15 yr hiatus.

4. No

My No answers are based on what's known about him now. I can handle Captain's that are egotistical, it's the ones that are daring that bother me.

In the air........there is an old saying that there are "bold pilots" and "old pilots", but there are no "Old Bold pilots."

And that saying goes back to the days when straping on the left seat of a great flying machine, and making a "hole" in the sky.......was fun.

Today, pilots are glorified "bus drivers"........until there is an emergency, and then you better hope that you are riding with the "best of the best", like Captain Sully!

It's become apparent that the same line goes for ships captains. We are witnessing one that just flamed out!:eek:;)

Rick

So they are no fools.

If anyone out there that was aboard, is thinking about settling at this time, just turn on the Giglio webcam, and remind yourself what you just experienced....not 3 weeks ago! I'm not saying settle or not settle, but let a little dust settle, and allow yourself time, and find guidance if necessary.

Smart on Costa's part........but as others have said, check your total expenses first, and unlike the captain.......that seemed to do everything "full speed ahead" so to speak.......take your time is assessing the trama that you have been thru.

Costa has not brought a pound of fuel out of the sunken ship as of yet, but they want to settle with YOU! WOW!!:rolleyes:

Rick

I have wanted to try a Costa cruise, but haven't found one I like yet. I'll book one at some time in the future, but since I have my plans set for 2012, 2013 and likely 2014, the earliest is going to be 2015.

I am not going to make my cruising choices based on one well known incident. If a trend shows up, then I'll reconsider my choices.

This is no different then flying. The airlines I fly on have all had fatal accidents. I've noticed that I'm not the only one in the plane.

1. No (only because it's not my style)

2. Yes (had it been my preference, I would continue)

3. No (unrealistic)

4. No ^

Archived