Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Today, pilots are glorified "bus drivers"........until there is an emergency, and then you better hope that you are riding with the "best of the best", like Captain Sully!

Rick

Or the one flying when dad's plane suffered an engine bolt failure...737 almost lost an engine due to a bolt failure resulting in the enginge bobbing from the time of the failure until they were back at LAX with CFR crews & of course the press there to greet them....the press in the terminal.

That flight crew had it on the mark, it ended up almost as if there wee no problems other than of course turning around and having to try to fly home again....many of the pax did skip that next flight instead taking the evening off from flying.

I guess one difference with pilots vs. Costa's Captain Chicken of the Sea, is that the pilots know if they fail likely their life is over, not just their flying job... CCOTS however could just float away in a lifeboat, in a seat that should have had a passenger in it.

..... Of course he will never sail again so this question is pointless.

Judybee

The qquestion has a very important point. The answers to these question will determine whether there a three (not two) courts that will decide the guilt or innocence of the Captain and/or Costa Cruises. Each one has much different degrees of evidence to warrant a guilty verdict.

The Criminal Court

The Civil Court

The Court of Public Opinion

If anyone out there that was aboard, is thinking about settling at this time, just turn on the Giglio webcam, and remind yourself what you just experienced....not 3 weeks ago! I'm not saying settle or not settle, but let a little dust settle, and allow yourself time, and find guidance if necessary.

Smart on Costa's part........but as others have said, check your total expenses first, and unlike the captain.......that seemed to do everything "full speed ahead" so to speak.......take your time is assessing the trama that you have been thru.

Costa has not brought a pound of fuel out of the sunken ship as of yet, but they want to settle with YOU! WOW!!

That was my point.... They should take time to think things over.

I had a case and settled... Sorry I did! I could kick myself for doing so. For certain reasons. As the ol' saying goes... you learn by your mistakes.

Carnival Cruise Line requires you to file your claim in Federal District Court in Miami Dade County ONLY.

Cruises that originate overseas and do not touch a US port may be governed by other venue restrictions as set forth in the cruise ticket.

So they better sit back and read the contract carefully....;)

If they sue and file in the WRONG jurisdiction they could, or should I say WILL loss their case.

The firm that is handling the Class Action suit is seeking $160k per passenger.... If they win... Does the law firm get half of that?

My BIGGEST advise to give the passengers.........SEEK a MARITIME LAWYER before doing ANYTHING!!!!

Let's do a Poll, in the aftermath of the Costa Concordia disaster:

1. Would you book a new Costa Cruise ?

2. Would you keep an existing Costa Cruise booking ?

3. Would you book a new cruise with Captain Schettino ?

4. Would you keep an existing cruise with Captain Schettino ?

Responses:

1. Yes_7__No_8

2. Yes_7__No_8

3. Yes_0__No_13

4. Yes_0__No_12

* No responses and undecideds not counted

http://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2012/01/27/news/costa_superstiti_accordo-28835744/

I just found this link on a website anyone know if its true?

According to a poster from Italy, La Repubblica is the trusted newspaper of his country. If that is their numbers, it's more than I expected. Early reports were about 10,800 Euros, total.

Looking at exchange rate of Euro to US (since you did give us a rough idea of US cost you've encountered,) I came up with this.

3000 Euros is a little over $3900

11000 Euros is a little over $14,400

Times 3 for your family.

That was my point.... They should take time to think things over.

I had a case and settled... Sorry I did! I could kick myself for doing so. For certain reasons. As the ol' saying goes... you learn by your mistakes.

Carnival Cruise Line requires you to file your claim in Federal District Court in Miami Dade County ONLY.

Cruises that originate overseas and do not touch a US port may be governed by other venue restrictions as set forth in the cruise ticket.

So they better sit back and read the contract carefully....;)

If they sue and file in the WRONG jurisdiction they could' date=' or should I say WILL loss their case.[/font']

The firm that is handling the Class Action suit is seeking $160k per passenger.... If they win... Does the law firm get half of that?

My BIGGEST advise to give the passengers.........SEEK a MARITIME LAWYER before doing ANYTHING!!!!

Depends on the agreement the clients sign. And if additional expense are incurred, they (lawyers) could get more. It's all in the fine print.

I agree, I would consult with an attorney if you are not at all comfortable with the amount.

I am not going to make my cruising choices based on one well known incident. If a trend shows up, then I'll reconsider my choices.

Would you base on THREE???

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/sns-201201240000--tms--traveltrctntt-b20120124jan24,0,2392511.story

But passengers have some cause for concern, particularly when it comes to Costa, says Miami-based maritime lawyer Jim Walker. "In the last two years, Costa has had three significant incidents where crew members have been killed and passengers have been injured,"

will wait until I see the paperwork - the thing is they put the cost of the cruise + transport at 3,000 Euros thats right for a European but for those from Australia and I would even think the US the costs would be a lot higher than that.

It would make a difference for those outside of Europe. I believe that should be taken into consideration if it wasn't.

Another thing I would question is the safes. Costa has said, if possible, they will return items in safes. If you sign off, does any property (ie: jewelery) become Costa's property.

No jewellrey in my safe, just my computer ( water logged by now) + a lot of cash.

If I read the article right, they are not allowing much time to think this over. Good luck as you try to decide what will be best for your family.

I bid you farewell for now. When I can't spell jewellery, I know it's time to sign off. ;)

Something to consider…… not related to this cruise captain

If you were an employer and employed a younger staff member who made a terrible novice mistake that cost your company say $1million dollars. Would you sack him/her?

I guess most would say yes.

That young staff member will NEVER make that mistake again as he/she would have learnt a very expensive lesson.

If you sack them, they will go to some other organization and never make the mistake there and it is that organisation who will gain that experience, and the original organization will have to hire another employee who may go on to make another rookie mistake.

My elderly father, who was a steel worker on high rise building used to say “the safest building to work on was the one that just dropped the lift ( had a serious accident)

MAYBE because of this terrible event Costa MAY just be the safest cruise line to sail on in the future.

And dare I say it, this captain maybe...................( I could'nt even type it)

Responses:

1. Yes_0__No_1

2. Yes_0__No_1

3. Yes_0__No_1

4. Yes_0__No_1

My answer would be NO to all of the above! Their cruise ships are well appointed enough. In fact, I'd called them glitzy, almost Vegas like. Their waiters are pretty good and pleasant.

However, it was like a flashy hotel set in a slum/ghetto!

My beef is with the demographics and passenger profile that the Costa cruise lines appear to attract. Although, as much as 85% of the passengers are usually Italian, my impression is that they are probably predominantly blue-collar types with poorly honed social skills...to the point of being boorish. So the issue is more socio-economic rather than one of nationality.

Imagine our shock when we found that the customary and quite pleasant social habit of greeting each other in the ship's corridors are virtually non-existent when we sailed on the Concordia's sister ship, the Serena.

To make matters worse, passengers often jump queues, usurp your table/chairs without batting an eyelid, allow their kids to run unbridled through the restaurant crawling under tables in their games of hide and seek, and did not care two hoots that their raucous laughter at mealtimes, especially over dinner may be disturbing others.

My DW normally has a long, long fuse but after 12 days, she felt that these kinds of anti-social behavior were beginning to grate like fingernails on chalkboard and impinging on our enjoyment.

We resolved to shut our minds to the uncouth behavior and focus on the positives such as the wonderful wait service and the Formula 1 Simulator ( a fav of mine)....but hey, I can think of better places to spend 12 days on the high seas!:rolleyes:

Sorry for the above post. I tried to delete but was unable to do so. On reflection it was not appropriate.
Me, beginning to think that Ozcruiser1 might be a bit of a predator lol....thankgoodness Im not wearing my black watch Kilt as it might totally confuse him !!!...And before you ask Ozcruiser1 there is no way I will shave my legs for you !!!

rgds

:D:D

However, it was like a flashy hotel set in a slum/ghetto!

My beef is with the demographics and passenger profile that the Costa cruise lines appear to attract. Although, as much as 85% of the passengers are usually Italian, my impression is that they are probably predominantly blue-collar types with poorly honed social skills...to the point of being boorish. So the issue is more socio-economic rather than one of nationality.

:rolleyes:

Steady on there De La (Tom) Cruise,

I think that may be a little harsh on the Italian working class.

I spent a wonderful 6 weeks in and around Italy both on a cruise and on land last year and would have to say the italian people were very warm and most helpful to a foreigner such as myself and the dancer wife.

We got the royal treatment from all we encountered by starting with a warm " Buon giorno. Mi dispiace, non parlo l'italiano. Parla inglese?

The best thing about travel is not only finding out about others , but finding out about yourself. Give a little,get a lot.

The Maitre'd may find it difficult placing you at a table to your liking.:(

Responses:

1. Yes_7__No_9

2. Yes_7__No_9

3. Yes_0__No_14

4. Yes_0__No_13

* No responses and undecideds not counted

Me, beginning to think that Ozcruiser1 might be a bit of a predator lol....thankgoodness Im not wearing my black watch Kilt as it might totally confuse him !!!...And before you ask Ozcruiser1 there is no way I will shave my legs for you !!!

rgds

You sending me to the brig with the all black rugby team messed with my head for while, I'm back on track now.:rolleyes:

rgds

I don't fit in my kilt anymore, so I just wear my "MacNeill of Bara" clan tie, cumerbund and tam, now. :eek:

Archived