Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

they are probably predominantly blue-collar types with poorly honed social skills...to the point of being boorish.

In my experience, boorishness knows no economic boundaries. In fact, some of the most obnoxious people I have met seem to feel their bank accounts gave them entitlement.

My personal prejudice is when you find rude behaviour in seniors. I tend to assume they were raised better, so it must be a conscious choice, rather than ignorance.

Steady on there De La (Tom) Cruise,

I think that may be a little harsh on the Italian working class.

I spent a wonderful 6 weeks in and around Italy both on a cruise and on land last year and would have to say the italian people were very warm and most helpful to a foreigner such as myself and the dancer wife.

We got the royal treatment from all we encountered by starting with a warm " Buon giorno. Mi dispiace, non parlo l'italiano. Parla inglese?

The best thing about travel is not only finding out about others , but finding out about yourself. Give a little,get a lot.

The Maitre'd may find it difficult placing you at a table to your liking.:(

Hey steady on there yourself Ozcruiser1,

I was just responding to the question whether I would cruise on Costa again. My answer was NO and I went on to objectively relate our experience onboard the Costa Serena.

I had posted the exact same thing on page 128 of this thread (Post #2545) and GioRaf, an gracious Italian lady cruiser was honest enough that what I hads related was essentially true. If I could quote GioRaf, she wrote on Post #2548:

"As being 100% italian and living here in Rome, i have to admit that this its by far almost true. Even this behaviour can be accounted to not many people (around 20%) the result its that all italian seems be like that. This its very embarassing for us, i really apologize for what such people doing when they are on a cruise. This it is also one of the reason we like cruise with RCL instead with Italian Company Costa. And its also the reason we like cruise far from Italy. Its very sad for us to say this."

In view of her response, I was extremely careful to emphasize that this was not a racial issue but a socio-economic problem...I was trying to put my finger on what the problem was.

We love Italy and we have found Italians to be warm and helpful too. Italy remains our fav destination.

You could have lucked out and have good cruise companions on your cruises and if so, good for you. I must say that we've always considered every other cruise that we have taken to be memorable. We have made lifelong friends on some of these cruises. In fact, two couples that we met on other cruises have visited us recently and stayed with us as our guests and vice versa.

However, that cannot prevent us from giving an objective assessment to the question posed.

At the risk of sounding facetious, I fail to see how that can translate to harshness on the Italian working class? I certainly resent your attempts to color this conversation with your insinuations that we have been less than charitable in disposition.

If anything, we sign up for cruises to have a good time and by and large, we do. However, we are not masochists and will certainly not have to book a cruise on a Cruise Line where the usual conventions of etiquette and good manners are routinely violated by passengers!

My beef is with the demographics and passenger profile that the Costa cruise lines appear to attract. Although, as much as 85% of the passengers are usually Italian, my impression is that they are probably predominantly blue-collar types with poorly honed social skills...to the point of being boorish. So the issue is more socio-economic rather than one of nationality.

Imagine our shock when we found that the customary and quite pleasant social habit of greeting each other in the ship's corridors are virtually non-existent when we sailed on the Concordia's sister ship, the Serena.

To make matters worse, passengers often jump queues, usurp your table/chairs without batting an eyelid, allow their kids to run unbridled through the restaurant crawling under tables in their games of hide and seek, and did not care two hoots that their raucous laughter at mealtimes, especially over dinner may be disturbing others.

My DW normally has a long, long fuse but after 12 days, she felt that these kinds of anti-social behavior were beginning to grate like fingernails on chalkboard and impinging on our enjoyment.

We resolved to shut our minds to the uncouth behavior and focus on the positives such as the wonderful wait service and the Formula 1 Simulator ( a fav of mine)....but hey, I can think of better places to spend 12 days on the high seas!:rolleyes:

Steady on there De La (Tom) Cruise,

I think that may be a little harsh on the Italian working class.

I spent a wonderful 6 weeks in and around Italy both on a cruise and on land last year and would have to say the italian people were very warm and most helpful to a foreigner such as myself and the dancer wife.

We got the royal treatment from all we encountered by starting with a warm " Buon giorno. Mi dispiace, non parlo l'italiano. Parla inglese?

The best thing about travel is not only finding out about others , but finding out about yourself. Give a little,get a lot.

The Maitre'd may find it difficult placing you at a table to your liking.:(

In my experience, boorishness knows no economic boundaries. In fact, some of the most obnoxious people I have met seem to feel their bank accounts gave them entitlement.

My personal prejudice is when you find rude behaviour in seniors. I tend to assume they were raised better, so it must be a conscious choice, rather than ignorance.

And then there was the time I booked a 3 day Miami/Bahama cruise as a bridge to connect a 14 and 7 day b2b. One cruise critic poster stated he was going to really enjoy the 3 day cruise whcioh ere designed to see how much booze a person could consume in 72 hours. :eek:

Needless to say, I avoided the guy for 72 hours including the Meet & Greet. ;)

Hey steady on there yourself Ozcruiser1,

I was just responding to the question whether I would cruise on Costa again. My answer was NO and I went on to objectively relate our experience onboard the Costa Serena..............

In view of her response, I was extremely careful to emphasize that this was not a racial issue but a socio-economic problem...I was trying to put my finger on what the problem was.

Fair call on you part Tom, I wasn't calling you on race but rather on "socio-economic"...

I'll have to call on IRL Joanie to broker a peace agreement.:o

Fair call on you part Tom, I wasn't calling you on race but rather on "socio-economic"...

I'll have to call on IRL Joanie to broker a peace agreement.:o

We don't need any peace brokers. Your acknowledgement is sufficient and accepted in the spirit off grace and good neighborliness (I assume that you live in Oz).

Depends on the agreement the clients sign. And if additional expense are incurred, they (lawyers) could get more. It's all in the fine print.

I agree, I would consult with an attorney if you are not at all comfortable with the amount.

Sorry, Late to this part of the thread, but bed called my name early last night.

I have a lawyer who lives across the street. He and I got to talking this past weekend about Class Action Lawsuits.

His comments was that the legal team in most class action lawsuits get around 85% of the total settlement before the people they are representing. He also said the 15% the people would get is BEFORE Taxes. He stated that a person suing in a class action lawsuit would be lucky to get $10.00 USD after a $1 million USD settlement:(

Joanie

Fair call on you part Tom, I wasn't calling you on race but rather on "socio-economic"...I'll have to call on IRL Joanie to broker a peace agreement.:o
Looks like we are going to have to look at your 'terms and conditions' as Maitre de !!! lol...roflmao !!! This could effect your 'tips' at the end of the cruise !!!

rgds

:D

Sorry, Late to this part of the thread, but bed called my name early last night.

I have a lawyer who lives across the street. He and I got to talking this past weekend about Class Action Lawsuits.

His comments was that the legal team in most class action lawsuits get around 85% of the total settlement before the people they are representing. He also said the 15% the people would get is BEFORE Taxes. He stated that a person suing in a class action lawsuit would be lucky to get $10.00 USD after a $1 million USD settlement:(

Joanie

Class action lawsuits settle out of court and do not reach a trial and plaintiffs get very little from the settlement.It goes into the lawyers pockets.

We don't need any peace brokers. Your acknowledgement is sufficient and accepted in the spirit off grace and good neighborliness (I assume that you live in Oz).

Excellent to read as I was a bit delayed in getting out of a much needed sleep:)

Actually though guys, I do have to say that in all my worldly travels; lived in Germany &Greece (active duty US Army hubby) and throughout all of the travels we did in the nearly 20 years spent in both countries, we traveled by car, plane and ship to Belgium, Netherlands, France, Spain, UK, Switzerland, Austria, Canada, USA and Italy.

The worst we have ever seen when it came to rude, crude and mostly Social nonadjustable or unacceptable, if you will, were the UGLY; Insert your own nationality here __________.

There were awesome people of all nationalities and there were the worst of the worst. EVERY country has them. We cannot say this nationality has the worst as you then have to remeber the good ones you've met.....

I've met extremely rude/gross wealthy people and I have met extremely gracious blue collar people. It is the person who makes the impression, not the nationality:)

Joanie

"It is the person who makes the impression, not the nationality".

That was essentially my assertion too, but in the case of the Costa Serena, the boorish and anti-social behavior was not confined to isolated instances of single individuals, but was extensive enough to eventually grate!

Of course, we tried to put a positive spin on it and tried to focus on the good stuff that the ship had to offer. We didn't confront anyone about it or lodge complaints. We just quietly resolved never to sail Costa again...perhaps fortunately.

It is the person who makes the impression, not the nationality:)

To be fair, there are some cultural differences that may be perceived the wrong way. Differences of required personal space is a big one between those nations that evolved from British dominated colonies and...well, pretty much the rest of the world. There are also some cultures that are amazingly sweet and thoughtful to anyone they have met...almost effusive...yet in contact with strangers, act in ways we anglos would consider rude.

True. Cases will have to be filed in Italy and follow Italian law. From what I understand, lawyers from the US and the UK are working with lawyers in Italy in order to handle this.

Lawyers will dip their snouts into any trough to fill their pockets. And that is their sole aim

Lawyers will dip their snouts into any trough to fill their pockets. And that is their sole aim

You've hit upon the best defense available to the Captain and Costa Cruises: attack the lawyers and blame everything on them. :eek:

John

PS

By the by, no apology is necessary, I tell lawyer jokes too (even though I am one) to other lawyers. :)

Here's some more ammo.

I am:

Irish-American (double banger): a drunk and boorish traveler :rolleyes:

Lifelong politician: Watch your wallet :p

Excellent to read as I was a bit delayed in getting out of a much needed sleep:)

Actually though guys, I do have to say that in all my worldly travels; lived in Germany &Greece (active duty US Army hubby) and throughout all of the travels we did in the nearly 20 years spent in both countries, we traveled by car, plane and ship to Belgium, Netherlands, France, Spain, UK, Switzerland, Austria, Canada, USA and Italy.

The worst we have ever seen when it came to rude, crude and mostly Social nonadjustable or unacceptable, if you will, were the UGLY; Insert your own nationality here __________.

There were awesome people of all nationalities and there were the worst of the worst. EVERY country has them. We cannot say this nationality has the worst as you then have to remeber the good ones you've met.....

I've met extremely rude/gross wealthy people and I have met extremely gracious blue collar people. It is the person who makes the impression, not the nationality:)

Joanie

In response to De La Cruise, I sailed on Costa Atlantica out of Ft. Lauderdale. It was full of Americans!

So, Jrosati,

Pray tell us about your experience then. Would you sail on Costa again?

Would you base on THREE???

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/sns-201201240000--tms--traveltrctntt-b20120124jan24' date='0,2392511.story

But passengers have some cause for concern, particularly when it comes to Costa, says Miami-based maritime lawyer Jim Walker. "In the last two years, Costa has had three significant incidents where crew members have been killed and passengers have been injured,"

Carnival and Royal Caribbean, my two favorite cruise lines, have all had their moments. United and Delta, my two favorite airlines, have both had fatal crashes. Toyota had a string of bad press just before I bought my then new Camry. I was able to get 100% financed at zero percent for 60 months. I have not had any problems with the car and I have over 45,000 miles on it.

Back a ways there were airlines I would not fly, but they seems to have cleaned up their act. There is a computer/printer company that I will not buy from, even though they are highly rated, based on personal experience.

I read horror stories about the cruise lines on CC every week. If I based my choices on what I read, I would walk to work, I would not fly and I would not cruise.

According to a poster from Italy, La Repubblica is the trusted newspaper of his country. If that is their numbers, it's more than I expected. Early reports were about 10,800 Euros, total.

Looking at exchange rate of Euro to US (since you did give us a rough idea of US cost you've encountered,) I came up with this.

3000 Euros is a little over $3900

11000 Euros is a little over $14,400

Times 3 for your family.

While each individual will have a different story, for some a quick $14,000 and put this behind them is worth considering. Assuming that the last night of the cruise the ship sinks near Miami instead of arriving in Port Canaveral the following morning, and assuming a couple pay $2,000 for the cruise, another $2,000 in transportation and lodging costs, plus loose $1,000 in clothing and another $2,000 in electronics then they are out $7,000. If they receive $28,000 in return and can then put this whole thing behind them, it might not be a bad deal.

How many people on the US Air flight that landed in the Hudson still fly? How many people that have been in an auto accident still drive? This might not be a good deal for everyone, but for many it might be worth considering.

My answer would be NO to all of the above! Their cruise ships are well appointed enough. In fact, I'd called them glitzy, almost Vegas like. Their waiters are pretty good and pleasant.

However, it was like a flashy hotel set in a slum/ghetto!

My beef is with the demographics and passenger profile that the Costa cruise lines appear to attract. Although, as much as 85% of the passengers are usually Italian, my impression is that they are probably predominantly blue-collar types with poorly honed social skills...to the point of being boorish. So the issue is more socio-economic rather than one of nationality.

Imagine our shock when we found that the customary and quite pleasant social habit of greeting each other in the ship's corridors are virtually non-existent when we sailed on the Concordia's sister ship, the Serena.

To make matters worse, passengers often jump queues, usurp your table/chairs without batting an eyelid, allow their kids to run unbridled through the restaurant crawling under tables in their games of hide and seek, and did not care two hoots that their raucous laughter at mealtimes, especially over dinner may be disturbing others.

My DW normally has a long, long fuse but after 12 days, she felt that these kinds of anti-social behavior were beginning to grate like fingernails on chalkboard and impinging on our enjoyment.

We resolved to shut our minds to the uncouth behavior and focus on the positives such as the wonderful wait service and the Formula 1 Simulator ( a fav of mine)....but hey, I can think of better places to spend 12 days on the high seas!:rolleyes:

What you experienced is called culture shock. That said, you are judging a lot of people based on only one experience.

I read the same thing about ships leaving from San Juan, except the reference is to the Puerto Ricans instead of the Italians. I cruised out of San Juan once and experienced none of this. So, who is right? The people who complain or the people like me that don't have any problems?

Mutiny on the Concordia: a case of revisionist history

I keep reading threads here, and quite often I find someone talking about the mutiny on the bridge of the Concordia and how all officers but one put Bosio in charge and he sounded the abandon ship.

Just as a reminder, this is where the story originated:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9019688/Cruise-disaster-crew-of-Costa-Concordia-mutinied-against-captain.html

Choose your favourite story from the 17th...they are all about the same.

So, it started because lifeboats showed up too early to have been loaded after the abandon ship. This is true...Michelle has backed that up.

The "mutiny" referred to is that junior officers/crew didn't wait for the captain's abandon ship to start loading the lifeboats.

So how did this story turn into the one described in the spiegle story?

You are right!

The Captain will never have the luxury to sail a ship in open sea.

Perhaps you would be interested in what happened to Captain Yiannis Avranas' date=' the then Captain Coward of the Oceanos in 1991. Like the current Captain Coward he left the ship early and left it to the entertainment staff to manage the rescue operation.

So what did happened to Captain Yiannis Avranas, well in the last chapter of the book, the author tells us what happened directly after the sinking and how the Captain was given another boat to command. I would say he is probably retired now as he was 52 when the Oceanos sank which makes him 71 this year, so thank God he won't be captaining many more ships, however the mere fact that Epirotiki protected him will be my reason never to sail on any ship owned by them ever again.

http://oceanossinking.blogspot.com/2010/05/what-happened-to-captain-yiannis.html

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=582808

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_happened_to_Captain_Yiannis_Avranas

So, the next time you are on an Italian ferry, you might want to peek into the bridge to see who is in charge.

Archived