Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Do you think that this is an appropriate discussion for this thread or maybe it's completely Off-Topic (not to mention insulting to Italian sailors, consider that the ship is crewed Italian).

I think it is on topic, and all you need to do is research what the training and testing requirements are for merchant officers throughout the world. If your on a cruise ship under a Dutch flag, you can rest assured that they are competent. There are many "flags of convenience", Liberia, Panama, etc. that the cruise ships sail under for the sole purpose of adding to their bottom line. A big difference when the Captain earns $180K per year for 6 month's duty, and $20K per year for almost constant duty.

I think it makes a lot more sense to assemble passengers on covered, outdoor decks, where the lifeboats are located... It is also very well organized.

The vast majority of cruise lines do it this way, so it must be the preferred way.

I was on Zuiderdam a few years ago, and some elderly passengers were feeling very faint during the muster drill, as they were gathered on open deck areas, on a hot and humid day.

You have to offset the known risks of heat exhaustion and passengers tripping on lifejacket straps on every ship, every cruise, against the risks of passengers being slightly less familiar with emergency procedures in the (very unlikely) event of a real emergency. That's the whole point of risk assessment.

I applaud Princess for mustering passengers indoors, although I find their briefing far too long and peppered with irrelevancies.

To be practical, all every passenger needs to know is.....

1. When you hear the emergency signal, get to a certain point in the ship

2. Take your life jacket and any essential medication with you

It is down to the crew's training to ensure that they are then able to help passengers during an emergency, when they will be disorientated, sleepy, drunk, scared, or all 4.

Fortunately most crew are very well trained and this is evidenced by the immense number of survivors that have been rescued.

What I wanted to know is whether the ship SINKS or it could be replaced from the location where the ship is now - than we will see whether they bring it to a yard or they have to scrap it... :mad:
The ship wont sink any further, until the ship has been searched then surveyed they wont know what the outcome is likely to be. Case of just waiting to see what the experts say. The damage is excessive though

rgds

Yes gentlemancruiser, I can confirm that number. And it won't change untill tomorrow: divers searches have stopped now and will resume tomorrow. Tomorrow they will have to count all the people that have been rescued by locals and have not reported they are OK. So no more news today on that matter, I'm afraid.

Thank you Globetrotter

RIP to all those souls still on board.

Hey ItalianGuest, sorry if i got disconnect, but in that moments my girlfrind start to talking me by facebook, she couldnt call because the passengers were using all the lines. She's fine, with some contusions but fine, medics attended her and the other ppl of the crew, that slept into a church, so now they are all in a hotel that costa is paying it. So she's alive and fine, thank you for everything i appreciate too much your help and the others who tried to help me last night, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so happy for you Oliver that you have safe news from your girlfriend. Thank you to our Italian (and other Europe) CC members, espcially Globetrotter and ItailanGuest, for reaching out to help Oliver.

Explain what you mean? It is rather simple, a foreign flagged ship is not allowed to sail from one US port to another. Crewing requirements are much more stringent for US flagged ships.

As a deck office you don't seem to know much about cruise mliners (although you did say in a previous message you retired so things could have changed siince you left the sea).

I don't know what "a foreign flagged ship is not allowed to sail from one US port to another", this just a country protecting it's own interests - I beleive it is call cabotage.

Saying that such an accident that happened to the Costa Concordia would not have occurred on a US registered ship, that is aload of baloney unless of course you can see into the future.

Even foreign flagged ships that enter a US port still have to abide by very stringent US Coast Guard rules, emission control and health and hygene check by CDC.

Wishing you calm waters while aboard your own vessel (hopefully that at least is US falgged.)

Ron

a US flagged vessel would not have had this accident in the first place, and if it did, there would be an orderly abandon ship, conducted at the highest professional standards.

What a deeply offensive, patronising and condescending thing to write. As you observe, there are no US flagged cruise ships - so how could you possibly know?

I don't recall the US crew of the Morro Castle covering themselves in glory!

FROM COSTA's SITE:

Saturday, January 14th

Time 5.00 am

It is a tragedy that deeply affects our company. Our first thoughts go to the victims and we would like to express our condolences and our closeness to their families and friends. In this moment all our efforts are focused on the completion of the last emergency operations, besides providing assistance to the guests and the crew who were onboard in order to have them going back home as soon as possible. The emergency procedures started promptly to evacuate the ship. The slope, gradually taken over by the ship, made the evacuation extremely difficult. We would like to express our profound gratitude to the Coast Guard and all the forces co-ordinated by the Coast Guard, including the authorities and citizens of the island “Isola del Giglio”, who have been involved in the rescue and assistance to guests and crew members. The company will fully co-operate with the relevant Authorities in order to determine the causes of what happened.

Time 1.00 am

Costa Cruises confirms the evacuation of about 3,200 passengers and 1,000 crew members on board of the Costa Concordia. An incident occured near the island 'Isola del Giglio' of the coast of Italy. The evacuation started promptly, but the position of the ship has worsened, making it more complicated to complete the last part of the evacuation. At this moment, the cause of the incident cannot yet be confirmed. The Company is currently working with the highest commitment to provide all the needed assistance. The Costa Concordia was sailing across the Mediterranean Sea, starting from Civitavecchia with scheduled calls to Savona, Marseille, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, Cagliari and Palermo. About 1.000 passengers of Italian nationality were onboard, as well as more of 500 Germans, about 160 French and about 1.000 crew members.

The Guests had to embark today in Savona and in subsequent ports will be contacted directly by Costa Cruises.

I think it is on topic, and all you need to do is research what the training and testing requirements are for merchant officers throughout the world. If your on a cruise ship under a Dutch flag, you can rest assured that they are competent. There are many "flags of convenience", Liberia, Panama, etc. that the cruise ships sail under for the sole purpose of adding to their bottom line. A big difference when the Captain earns $180K per year for 6 month's duty, and $20K per year for almost constant duty.
Im sorry but I find your posting most offensive to all the crew onboard this vessel the Costa Concordia. Through your sweeping statement you have condemmed them all as 'incompetent' by stating its on topic. This ship was a Italian flagged vessel and one member of the EEC therefore the restrictions placed upon this vessel would not only fit Italy but also everyother coastal country within the EEC. I can state this as I am a serving Coastguard Officer for the UK and well aware of restricts/requirements for vessels

Now that I think about it. On the Carnival Inspiration, the muster drill was super confusing.

First we met in a disco or piano bar, I assume so that we could get a detailed demonstration on how to use the life jackets.

Then we were ushered out into the corridors and up a deck out to the lifeboats. I don't recall which lifeboat because we were between two of them. There were so many people. The lines were organized but it was really unclear what we were doing just standing there. No instructions were being given, we just stood there for 20 mins or so. Then Stephanie the CD announced that the drill had been cleared and we were free to go.

The Inspiration's deck plan was a little confusing so I'm still not sure which deck had lifeboats. I do know that I saw lockers on deck that said "wetsuits and lifejackets" but for obvious reasons, they were locked.

What a deeply offensive, patronising and condescending thing to write. As you observe, there are no US flagged cruise ships - so how could you possibly know?

I don't recall the US crew of the Morro Castle covering themselves in glory!

There actually is at least one US flagged ship - Norwegian America's Pride of America that sails a Hawaiian itinerary. With that said, I generally agree with your point and cannot imagine that the nationality of the crew or ship's registration has much to do with how this sad, sad situation was handled.

I agree with a previous post. Hubby and I take the mustard drills EXTREMELY serious. It's very unsettling to hear fellow cruisers complain, they have to stand and listen to a short safety drill. I heard that Carnival may not continue these kinds of drills in the future, due to all the complaning.

On another note, we recently cruised the RC "Oasis of the Seas',( over 6000 people) and they do not place life jackets in the cabins! We all had to gather in different rooms, for example, the large show entertainment theater. If an accident occured, all 1000 or more people that was assigned to meet in that mustard station, would have to gather in this location during the accident and the staff would hand out life jackets. Can you imagine that situation!!! It wouldn't be possible getting life jackets out to that many people during a moment like that. We will not travel on RC again and other reasons.Safety first!

Any cruise I've been on they have always stated that if you cannot get to your cabin to get your life jacket at your muster stations....I see nothing wrong with that. In an emergency I don't see everyone running back to their cabin.

haha Ireally got to update here, you guys tried to help me, so i'm really thankful for your words and support. Now im going to care about me, need a shower need a bed need to eat.. thank you one more time and take care ppl!!!

Oliver, by now I hope you are tucked up feed and watered in bed. I am so happy to here that your girlfriend is safe and well.

Im sorry but I find your posting most offensive to all the crew onboard this vessel the Costa Concordia. Through your sweeping statement you have condemmed them all as 'incompetent' by stating its on topic. This ship was a Italian flagged vessel and one member of the EEC therefore the restrictions placed upon this vessel would not only fit Italy but also everyother coastal country within the EEC. I can state this as I am a serving Coastguard Officer for the UK and well aware of restricts/requirements for vessels

How and why can you defend running aground?

Explain what you mean? It is rather simple, a foreign flagged ship is not allowed to sail from one US port to another. Crewing requirements are much more stringent for US flagged ships.

May be - but there's still no guarantee that you would be able to lower life boats off the upward facing side of a listing ship just because it had an American flag on it. There's no guarantee that passengers would somehow be less panicked just because the ship had an American flag on it.

I found your initial "holier than thou" statements to be entirely insensitive and entirely too smug.

Hey ItalianGuest, sorry if i got disconnect, but in that moments my girlfrind start to talking me by facebook, she couldnt call because the passengers were using all the lines. She's fine, with some contusions but fine, medics attended her and the other ppl of the crew, that slept into a church, so now they are all in a hotel that costa is paying it. So she's alive and fine, thank you for everything i appreciate too much your help and the others who tried to help me last night, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so relieved to hear she is safe, thank you for updating us. God bless you both x

Latest from Swedish news: They have confirmed 3 dead persons and that there are about 40 still missing. Divers have been in the ship during the day, searching for people that might have been captured inside.

Lets hope they will find everybody safe and sound!

Any sailors here know if it's possible to run aground under power through the channel they were passing? Would they be splitting the island and mainland or on the west side of Giglio?

I have not heard yet whether the accident happened after a mechanical or electrical problem or whether the electrical systems failed as a result of the accident.

I'm only speculating, but if there was a serious mechanical or electrical problem before the accident, the ship could have drifted into the reef or been carried by momentum or the current. The crew may have been distracted by the problem and not seen what was about to happen. This scenario sometimes happens with transportation accidents like Eastern Airlines flight 401 in 1972 where the flight crew was distracted and failed to realize until too late that they were losing altitude.

Archived