Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

What is particularly interesting to me is that the ship rolled the opposite direction from the tear in the hull. It almost appears as if they were trying to either counter flood to keep it even and lost control, or perhaps he did it on purpose to expose the tear so that it cold be patched for the first step in trying to float the ship later? Really weird...someone was not paying attention. This should not happen with all of the modern navigational aids. Wonder if the pilot was still on board?

The same way that MSC ship hit a reef THIS week and went aground for a while....and the MS Sea Diamond right off the coast of Santorini (was it?) that ran into well known rocks there, and sank. The youtube videos of that one seem eerily similar, tragic.

Actually, it appears that the well known rocks were 74 metres away from where they should have been, according to the charts.

Louis Cruise Lines commissioned a survey after the accident, which claims that the reef, which the Sea Diamond struck, is in fact lying at 131 meters from shore and not at a distance of 57 meters as is incorrectly marked on the nautical chart. The official chart also shows the depth of the water at the area of impact varying from 18–22 meters, whilst the recent survey shows that it is only 5 meters.

The question that needs asking is... are the charts being used by all cruise ships, perfectly accurate?

HAL muster drills take place on the promenade deck directly under the lifeboats.

I've always heard the crew tell passengers that women and children in the front and men in the back.

HAL also used to take attendance at their muster drills.

This was my experience as well on HAL.

Sorry that I ask again - but does anyone now whether the ship will be salvaged or rescued or does it sink now? :(

I don't see how the ship could sink any further. It is resting on the sea bed. If it was going to sink any more, it would have done it by now. The site saying it was going to sink another 200 feet is ridiculous. there isn't 200 feet of water for it to sink in. It will be refloated, assessed, and then Costa will choose whether to repair and refurbish it, or scrap it.

As I watch with horror at the events in Italy, a few thoughts came to mind...

I always wonder, as I stand with everyone else on the deck for the muster drill, what these smiling, relaxed crew members would be like in an actual emergency. No one can predict what they would be like in a real evacuation, even trained crew members. But as I am seeing early reports of passengers telling of less than stellar help from the crew, I have no doubt we will hear of stories of crew members going well above the call of duty to help passengers in crisis.

And second, while I am thinking and praying of all those who lost their lives and were injured, I also find myself thinking of the captain of the ship. Having met a few on our previous cruises, I have no doubt this captain, like all masters of ships this size, takes the lives of his passengers and crew very seriously. Although the details are not yet known, it seems to me he was perhaps trying to bring a damaged ship to port or at least closer to port where rescue would be easier. I think we will never know how many countless lives may have been lost had he done otherwise. I have no doubt that this captain will be traumatized for the rest of his life having been responsible for the loss of even just one life. I am praying for him and all those who were affected by this tragedy.

I always wonder, as I stand with everyone else on the deck for the muster drill, what these smiling, relaxed crew members would be like in an actual emergency. No one can predict what they would be like in a real evacuation, even trained crew members. But as I am seeing early reports of passengers telling of less than stellar help from the crew, I have no doubt we will hear of stories of crew members going well above the call of duty to help passengers in crisis.

And second, while I am thinking and praying of all those who lost their lives and were injured, I also find myself thinking of the captain of the ship. Having met a few on our previous cruises, I have no doubt this captain, like all masters of ships this size, takes the lives of his passengers and crew very seriously. Although the details are not yet known, it seems to me he was perhaps trying to bring a damaged ship to port or at least closer to port where rescue would be easier. I think we will never know how many countless lives may have been lost had he done otherwise. I have no doubt that this captain will be traumatized for the rest of his life having been responsible for the loss of even just one life. I am praying for him and all those who were affected by this tragedy.

I totally agree, my thoughts go out to him as well, as those still missing and there families. I guess it will be a while before the true story is revealed.

HAL muster drills take place on the promenade deck directly under the lifeboats.

I've always heard the crew tell passengers that women and children in the front and men in the back.

HAL also used to take attendance at their muster drills.

We were on the Westerdam in December, and the muster drill was done prior to leaving Fort Lauderdale at the start of the cruise. We had to report to our muster station at our lifeboat number. They showed us how to put on life jacket and did a roll call cabin by cabin to make sure all had attended. I hope that is the way they do it on Princess when we sail with them in April.

I really appreciate your post. I think they ALL have experienced a great tragedy...members of the bridge included.

Theres alot of damage done, between lifeboats, electrical, all those cabins, will Costa pay for that to be fixed or replace her, I wouldnt get ur hopes up yet

Not to mention that half of the ship is now submerged in saltwater. Anything that wasn't bolted down in the ship is toast. Electrical systems are toast. 50% of the cabins will need to be replaced. Anything on the starboard side of the ship will need to be replaced. All that moisture is going to affect the 'dry' side of the ship as well, so I imagine there's damage (or future damage, by the time the ship is right-side up and repairable) to be replaced on the port side as well. Engine room is probably a mess, given that seems to be where the hole is. Propulsion system is probably quite damaged as it looks like they came in to some shallow water before coming to a stop. I'd be quite surprised if they can (or choose to) salvage it.

Not to mention that half of the ship is now submerged in saltwater. Anything that wasn't bolted down in the ship is toast. Electrical systems are toast. 50% of the cabins will need to be replaced. Anything on the starboard side of the ship will need to be replaced. All that moisture is going to affect the 'dry' side of the ship as well, so I imagine there's damage (or future damage, by the time the ship is right-side up and repairable) to be replaced on the port side as well. Engine room is probably a mess, given that seems to be where the hole is. Propulsion system is probably quite damaged as it looks like they came in to some shallow water before coming to a stop. I'd be quite surprised if they can (or choose to) salvage it.

Oh wow, thats worse than thought

Archived