Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

This is Trev here, I finally managed to convince my girlfriend to come on a cruise (she's not fond of boats and has a mild fear of the ocean).

With news breaking of a ship the size of ours (the ruby princess) running aground and basically sinking, she'll be freaking out and not wanting to go now. Any soothing words of advice from you cruising pros out there that I can use here>>??:confused:

Cars: In 2009 there was 1.14 deaths per 100 MILLION miles driven on the US highways.

Airplanes: From 1998-2007 there were 4.03 deaths per MILLION flight hours or 0.0403 deaths per 100 Million flight hours.

Cruise ship: I can't find statistics, but http://www.cruiseshipdeaths.com/Name_Index_By_Date.html shows about 1 every 2.5 weeks while transporting about 18 MILLION people annually.

This is Trev here, I finally managed to convince my girlfriend to come on a cruise (she's not fond of boats and has a mild fear of the ocean).

With news breaking of a ship the size of ours (the ruby princess) running aground and basically sinking, she'll be freaking out and not wanting to go now. Any soothing words of advice from you cruising pros out there that I can use here>>??:confused:

Let her know this is extremely rare. The chance of a plane going down is orders of magnitude greater than a ship sinking. The last time a cruise ship went down was the Sea Diamond in 2007, and that was a tiny ship (20,000 GT) in comparison, sailing for a small cruise line.

Good point.

And the ship was sailing pretty much in home waters. They must have done this route thousands (or tens of thousands) of times by now.

Sometimes, familiarity and routine combine to let down one's guard...........

Does anyone know whether cruise ships have some sort of 'black box' that records everything on the bridge and in engineering? After all, in Italy even minibuses have to have tachygraphs. This information will reveal if human error was to blame.

My prayers go out to all of the Family and Crew. Hopefully minimal casualties occured.

Below is the link from WFTV Channel 9 here in Central Florida. It has been a main story here as well

http://www.wftv.com/ap/ap/top-news/reports-cruise-ship-aground-off-italy-6-dead/nGMkt/

I leave for my cruise today and will definatly pay more attention to the Muster Drill.

You won't have a Muster Drill. You will have a Safety Briefing. Do your own muster so you and your family know where to go.

Tell her that she can choose to stay home while you go on the vacation of a lifetime... Tell her that these sorts of events are exceptionally rare, that almost everyone on board survived, that you'll be happy to show her your vacation photos when you get back, and also remind her that she has a better chance of getting killed while driving to the grocery store...

Hey Thoie thank you for that reply.. no i've not news from her.. crc (the business who contract her for concordia cant give me information about her). I don't know where to start about callings, i ve awake all the noight finding info about the peruvian crew in there. I was calling the emergency number 00 39 848 50 50 50 (the way to call from here) but it says "the number is out of service". So I'm still researching on internet finding numbers to call or anything.

I can try for you but I need information about your girlfriend and a contact to leave them to reach you.

ItalianGuest

Earlier this year, I took the Behind the Scenes tour on the Carnival Dream. When you go below the water line, it is a different world down there. The water-tight doors are huge and marked very well. Our guide said you'd be killed if one of those tried to close and you were in the way. Even on a modern ship, it is creepy down there. Tight hallways, dozens of guys working in the hot laundry room with no windows and a low ceiling. After having seen the engine control room and other crew areas on a ship like this, I can't imagine what must have gone on down there during this emergency. My heart goes out to the crew.

I'm shocked and saddened by this tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with all those aboard the Concordia.

As a frequent cruiser, this hits close to home, and I'm having a hard time really believing it has happened. I've been on the Splendor...it's hard to imagine having to evacuate a ship that size. This is a sobering lesson for those who eat, drink, and joke their way through the muster drill.:(

Cars: In 2009 there was 1.14 deaths per 100 MILLION miles driven on the US highways.

Airplanes: From 1998-2007 there were 4.03 deaths per MILLION flight hours or 0.0403 deaths per 100 Million flight hours.

Cruise ship: I can't find statistics, but http://www.cruiseshipdeaths.com/Name_Index_By_Date.html shows about 1 every 2.5 weeks while transporting about 18 MILLION people which would be 0.00000115 deaths per million passengers carried.

And flight hours are related to miles how?

Trev ... sailed on the Ruby Princess twice and with the same Captain Tony yeomans ... you will both love the ship ... :D last year 1.71 Million Brits took cruises on various ships and cruise lines ... 3 deaths despite how sad it is was very very small.

Cruise ships have a Black Box recorder usually above the Bridge and are coloured Orange.

Also odd that on the ship tracker the ship is heading North towards Savona but if you check out where the port is on Giglio it looks like the ship has turned around and is facing South!

I've just heard the news on Sky Italy and the captain said the rock was not indicated on the charts and that he was sailing on the allowed sea lane....

How can it be possible???

IIRC the 2007 sinking of Sea Diamond in Santorini followed the ship striking a reef that was not charted correctly... a similar scenario to this one.

Just a question....... are the charts for the Mediterranean dangerously out of date?

"Investigations carried out by the defense team of the Master of the Vessel and Louis Cruise Lines, after a lawsuit had been filed against them, have included a new hydrographic survey of the area of the accident in Santorini. This survey was carried out by Akti Engineering, and discovered discrepancies between the actual mapping of the sea area and the official charts used by the Sea Diamond (and all other vessels) at the time of the accident. The detailed survey claimed that the reef, which the Sea Diamond struck, is in fact lying at 131 meters from shore and not at a distance of 57 meters as is incorrectly marked on the nautical chart. The official chart also shows the depth of the water at the area of impact varying from 18–22 meters, whilst the recent survey shows that it is only 5 meters"

Source for the above... Louis press release: M/V Sea Diamond Struck the Reef and Sunk Due to Incorrect Mapping of the Area

The ship appears to have hit the rocks on the Port side and listed that way initially but it capsized on the Starboard side.

Is that impression correct and if so, why would that happen?:confused:

Once the vessel has taken on water it can keel over in either direction... the water does not stay right by the hull damage, it can move about the ship, and the watertight compartments are only fore to aft, not side to side.

Yeah terrible news... my girlfriend was working there, we're from peru and her family and me dont know nothing about her... i dont know if this is too much to ask... here is 1:50am but if someone here is italian and it's able to get information there, plz write me right now...

Here are some pics from yahoo. Not much of the pasengers and crew but hopefully you can recognize her in one of them.

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/coast-guard-ship-aground-off-italy-bodies-found-1326518638-slideshow/rescue-workers-help-woman-porto-santo-stefano-cruise-photo-085024366.html

Does anyone know whether cruise ships have some sort of 'black box'

that records everything on the bridge and in engineering?

When we were on Caribbean Princess, I took a stroll on the deck over the bridge

to discover that (some?) modern ships do indeed have bright orange Black Boxes

BlackBox-7861.jpg

Data should be on Concordia's unit, still suspended in air somewhere?

Point is, easily recovered

Archived