Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Hi All

Very sad news.

however reports say the captain they did not stop the ship and get all off,

instead he headed for the tiny island, by doing so he many have made things worse,

as the ship was taking on so much water that it listed to such a angle

OK far better to sink close to land and in shallow water rather than deep water.

however very many questions need to be answered and will

how did it strike a sand bar, its a local cruise run, done almost weekly

then there is the panic on board, we do not know how we were deal with this, but storries of people stam[eding down stairs crushing fellow passengers,

then folks jumping over board

then there is the issue of the list making launing the life boats very hard.

cruising needs to study this accident in great deal and learn all that it can

100 years ago we thought this could not happen, accidents can happen and sadly they will

yours Shogun

Commiserations to all involved in this tragedy.

It is remotely possible that history has repeated itself?

Regardless, Giglio will be now be famous for 2 shipwrecks over 2500 years apart:

"The pre-Classical wreck off the Island of Giglio in the Tuscan Archipelago, was found in 1961 by Mr. Reg Vallintine. The remains of the vessel, which can be dated to c. 600 BC (or soon after), were situated in 45 to 55m of water at the base of an off-shore reef known as Secca i Pignocchi in Campese Bay on the north west side of the island. Excavation of the site was carried out between 1982 and 1986 by Oxford University MARE in strict collaboration with the Superintendency of Archaeology for Tuscany:"

Click here

I do not think it wise to judge anybody in this situation until all of the fact are known, and they may never ever been known.

The Captain did what he thought best in what was a very extreme circumstance. We should not judge him with hindsight as we were not there.

The panic could easily be explained by the passengers being on the first day of their cruise. They had all been to sail away and many would have had a few drinks there. This incident happened when many were at dinner maybe drinking some more lovely wine (some of us will relate to that). It is the first day of a magical time so a disaster like this was the furtherest thing from their mind.

Euphoric mood + alcohol + fear = people doing things they normally would not in this situation.

I was recently on the Radiance of the Seas during an earthquake. You would be surprised the amount of people who panicked with that and it was nothing compared to this.

Goodness, it has been headline news in Australia. Perhaps if something happens elsewhere the cable news doesn't really care?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am getting all my news info about this from international news feeds. An indication that American media sees little beyond its own shores.

Yet Costa is part of Carnival, based in Miami. Even the Herald is not covering this story.

I just read a pax interview on Sky: the pax reported that the safety muster drill was due to take place on Saturday: the pax and her partner had joked 'What happens if we sink tonight'.

I guess drinks and food take precedence over safety.....

I see litigation for negligence on the horizon.............

I don't think this will change the law either. Every cabin that I have been in has had the procedure either on the door or on the desk. Surely, as passengers we are responsible to make sure we are aware of these things.

I have been on a ship that did not have the Muster Drill until the following morning, because of a scheduled late departure time of 9 p.m., I think. (all passengers were not yet on board for a daylight drill outdoors at a muster station).

So yes, when you get to your cabin, look at the evacuation plan on the door, learn your muster station # etc.

Terrifying event, and so rare. Peace to all. Thanks to the residents who helped so eagerly.

_57885620_013702767-1.jpg

The BBC have a report with 2 interviews with crew members:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16558910

Ron

PS. From the above photo it looks like all the lifeboats have been lowered on this side (port?)

That's a massive hole!!! :eek:

There still aren't any Cable news stations here in the U.S. reporting this as of 4:40am. One is showing infomercials, and the rest are playing recordings of yesterday's news.

Wow, I really need to quit following this and get some sleep.

I just read a pax interview on Sky: the pax reported that the safety muster drill was due to take place on Saturday: the pax and her partner had joked 'What happens if we sink tonight'.

I guess drinks and food take precedence over safety.....

I see litigation for negligence on the horizon.............

I think this is a bit premature.

And why would it be negligence anyway? It's routinely done and is perfectly within regulations including SOLAS etc. The ship was picking up additional folks the next day so it's feasible that they do one muster for the whole complement of guests.

Passenger ferries in Europe - and some routes are up 3 days in length, don't even have to do a muster drill - they just play a safety video in the cabin and throughout the ship on embarkation.

Perhaps rules will change as a result of this accident, but to claim negligence - and this without even knowing the full details regarding the accident, how it happened, etc.... :eek:

Hi All

Very sad news.

however reports say the captain they did not stop the ship and get all off,

instead he headed for the tiny island, by doing so he many have made things worse,

as the ship was taking on so much water that it listed to such a angle

OK far better to sink close to land and in shallow water rather than deep water.

however very many questions need to be answered and will

how did it strike a sand bar, its a local cruise run, done almost weekly

then there is the panic on board, we do not know how we were deal with this, but storries of people stam[eding down stairs crushing fellow passengers,

then folks jumping over board

then there is the issue of the list making launing the life boats very hard.

cruising needs to study this accident in great deal and learn all that it can

100 years ago we thought this could not happen, accidents can happen and sadly they will

yours Shogun

I was questioning the people jumping overboard, and after seeing how close the ship was to a rock outcropping, I would have considered it. It was only about 50 feet max away. There is a youtube video elsewhere in this thread that shows how close the ship was to land. If I had a choice between waiting for the ship to list over on top of me or swimming 50 feet in cold water, I may choose to go for the swim.

That's a massive hole!!! :eek:

There still aren't any Cable news stations here in the U.S. reporting this as of 4:40am. One is showing infomercials, and the rest are playing recordings of yesterday's news.

Wow, I really need to quit following this and get some sleep.

I find it interesting that the gash is on port side, yet it settled on starboard. Perhaps the captain did that deliberately (flooding starboard bilges) to keep the gash above the waterline? No doubt it will all come out in the wash.

We have been on Costa a couple of times. On one sailing from Venice the lifeboat drill was not carried out until after departure from Bari the next day.

Reason for this was that a lot of people joined at Bari so this meant that they didn't have to do the drill twice.I was a bit uneasy about not having the drill on the 1st night but you don't imagine for a minute your ship is going to sink do you.

Seem to remember that Costa insist that at the muster point you form into rows of ten or so and sort the rows in height order with tallest at the back.

Thought this was rather pointless at the time.

In the days to come, experts will be able to determine if the ship hit something, or if something hit the ship (that is a strange looking massive hole in the hull)...in the meantime, for those involved in the rescue mission - our best wishes.

I think this is a bit premature.

And why would it be negligence anyway? It's routinely done and is perfectly within regulations including SOLAS etc. The ship was picking up additional folks the next day so it's feasible that they do one muster for the whole complement of guests.

Passenger ferries in Europe - and some routes are up 3 days in length, don't even have to do a muster drill - they just play a safety video in the cabin and throughout the ship on embarkation.

Perhaps rules will change as a result of this accident, but to claim negligence - and this without even knowing the full details regarding the accident, how it happened, etc.... :eek:

I think you have answered your own question.

I'm not entirely sure of the process of righting a ship this size.

I imagine that first the ship would have to be stabilized to some degree so that she can't just float away or, really, move at all. Then dive teams would have to temporarily patch the gashes in the hull. Since the ship is powerless, external generators and pumps would probably be used to begin draining the compartments.

I'm not sure how all of those balcony cabins would affect the flooding. I'm very interested to see what will be done in the coming days.

That being said, I cannot see Carnival allowing this ship to become a total loss.

The ship will be patched up and refloated (cannot be left where it is) and then the Lloyds/RINA will carried out a survey as to viability of repair or salvage.

Luckily the fuel tanks were not ruptured.

Ron

That picture makes it look like he hit the lighthouse!!

According to the TV news it hit a reef as it was off course and then the captain headed it towards the island where that lighouse is to get into shallow water.

New photos:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4061067/Cruise-ship-sinks-news-Eight-die-on-Costa-Concordia.html

Archived