Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Video from the rescue. Shows Port side lifeboats all launched and helicopters saving some of the folks aboard.

http://iltirreno.gelocal.it/foto-e-video/la-concordia-dall-elicottero-1.3065141

Maybe the camera operator didn't notice, looking through the small viewfinder, but it looked to me like the gash in the hull was visible as he panned by. Look right around the 2:42 and again a few seconds later. The operator seems to be fixated on the other helicopter and didn't see the gash, or he likely would have focused in on it more.

We have sailed twice on Concordia and remember with sadness, now, the glitzy beauty of the public areas and the stunning impression this ship made when you first boarded.

However more than this I recall the great service offered by the crew and am very saddened by the trauma and loss they have experienced.

My heart goes out to those people embarking on their holiday only to end up in a most terrifying incident and the families who have lost their loved ones.

It is probable that if this was the first night of the cruise an emergency drill had not taken place, as it sometimes does not happen until the second or even subsequent night, especially if more passengers were embarking at Savona.

My thoughts are with all affected by this tragedy.

Well, it may not be much on the news elsewhere but here in Italy it's been the number one story all night and this morning. This is what I'm understanding: The Concordia apparently hit some undersea rocks while coasting the Tuscan islands and started taking on water from a gash in the left side. The captain understood that his ship was in danger of sinking so he decided to bring it closer in toward the island of Giglio so it would settle down near the shore rather than sink in the open sea. The major inclination occurred as the ship settled in the low water near the island's port entrance. The passengers have all been evacuated but sadly there are three confirmed deaths at this point with several serious injuries. Some of the passengers are unaccounted for but are believed to all be ashore.

The Costa Concordia is a beautiful ship and along with her two sister ships, the Pacifica and the Serena, at over 114,000 tons is the largest cruise ship in the Costa fleet.

Maybe the camera operator didn't notice, looking through the small viewfinder, but it looked to me like the gash in the hull was visible as he panned by. Look right around the 2:42 and again a few seconds later. The operator seems to be fixated on the other helicopter and didn't see the gash, or he likely would have focused in on it more.

It's hard to be certain, but if it is a gash it's likely from when the captain is rumored to have rammed the dock in an attempt to keep the ship from sinking. That's just my uneducated guess based on the shape and the height (almost at the waterline). You'd expect the first gash to be lower on the hull if it was a result of grounding on a reef.

It's hard to be certain, but if it is a gash it's likely from when the captain is rumored to have rammed the dock in an attempt to keep the ship from sinking. That's just my uneducated guess based on the shape and the height (almost at the waterline). You'd expect the first gash to be lower on the hull if it was a result of grounding on a reef.

But the gash is on the port side and the pier is on the starboard side.:confused::cool:

May we pray for all the departed souls and hope no more now.

My family lost kin near here in / on 14 June 1646 a.d. Grand Admiral Jean Armand de Maillé-Brézé killed at the Battle of Ortebello , at Sunset on his Flag Ship the Grand Saint Louis .

1029334863__1_ortobello_grandadmiral.jpeg.02fcf92ce41cae69ffeddf9f900ab8b5.jpeg

_3_ortobelloGrand_Saint_Louis-Fournier_img_3090.jpg.ca442da7d4fee08a48e6353769671cee.jpg

Then the law may get changed now.

I have always done it before leaving port.

This accident, and the deaths, has nothing to do with when the drills are held. There won't be any change in that.

Just recently many lines started to allow drills without your lifevests being worn. Believe it or not it was for safety!! They found many passengers were getting injured AFTER the drills as people tripped and fell over the cords and tethers from people dangling them on the floor on the way back to their cabins!:eek:

Then the law may get changed now.

I have always done it before leaving port.

I don't think this will change the law either. Every cabin that I have been in has had the procedure either on the door or on the desk. Surely, as passengers we are responsible to make sure we are aware of these things.

This accident, and the deaths, has nothing to do with when the drills are held. There won't be any change in that.

Just recently many lines started to allow drills without your lifevests being worn. Believe it or not it was for safety!! They found many passengers were getting injured AFTER the drills as people tripped and fell over the cords and tethers from people dangling them on the floor on the way back to their cabins!:eek:

Yes, I sailed on NCL Epic in Sept 2011 and that was true of their muster drill.

The ship's machinery and electrical systems may not be able to be repaired to operate reliably again.....and pass the inspections and certifications necessary to operate the ship.

It is unlikely, IMHO, that any ship would be returned to service with the same company after this. It will forever be linked with this tragedy.

I've always had lifeboat drill before sailing (Cunard, Seabourn, Princess, RCL), the damage to the hull looks quite severe. I expect most of us are thinking just what our forefathers thought 100 years ago when the Titanic sank "how on earth could this happen in this modern day and age."

Sorry, but where did you see he rammed the pier??I have not seen this in ANY reports either from Italy, Costa or passenger accounts. Can you provide a link? The 165 foot gash is from running aground (or whatever they initially hit) so I'd like to know where you saw this.

If there was panic on board and it was their first night on board, i for one would not have got my bearings to remember what was said at a muster drill, or where my cabin was to go and get my life jacket

We all would; despite the ship listing at 20 degrees, electricity out of action; panic; confusion...........or would we?

One wonders: do the locks on stateroom doors that operate via the passenger's card work in a power cut?

When there is an emergency and they sound the alarm, they don't want you to go to your cabins. They want you to go directly to your muster station. They have additional live preservers by the lifeboats. Minutes can cost lives. Clothing and gadgets can be replaced, you life can't be replaced.

Have just seen the news re the Costa Concordia and have strayed over from the Celebrity / P&O forum to offer our deepest sympathy to anyone affected by this terrible tragedy.

Here's praying that they have now got everyone off the ship.

Archived