Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Thanks for the thoughts, but actually the ship had just left Civatavecchia enroute to Savona...there are several websites that are erroneously listing it starting in Savona but I know that right now that are completely oblivious (as they are are sleeping) and safe in Milan.

I'm going to be calling them in a few hours to let them know that their vacation is going to Plan B.

thanks for the clarification, your parents will be surprised when they wake up.

Suzski, praying your moms are ok and those injured will be ok. Yes, this is a muster wake up. Makes me think about taking my life jacket with me everywhere or staying near it. We do not drink much as have been on large rcl ships in 22+ waves and want to be able to make it to our muster station if we need to. The crew definately does not get enough praise for the time they take to practice mustering to keep us all safe. Not a good way to start off the New Year.

Thanks for the thoughts, but actually the ship had just left Civatavecchia enroute to Savona...there are several websites that are erroneously listing it starting in Savona but I know that right now that are completely oblivious (as they are are sleeping) and safe in Milan.

I'm going to be calling them in a few hours to let them know that their vacation is going to Plan B.

I looked up the route as well and agree with you that the media seems to have the ports out of order. Glad your family is at the hotel right now instead of on the ship.

Sad news :(.

Would there be any chance of salvaging a ship in this condition, or is she "totaled" for lack of a better word?

Given she is on her side and has lots of salt water inside her, I think "total loss" is what is going to happen...of course until every passenger and crew member is accounted for, I doubt many really care if the ship ever can be salvaged or not.

My prayers are for the families of those who died or are injured, and for those who are in danger and for those whose lives and travel plans have been horribly disrupted.

As always, well stated.

I'll add those involved in the rescue and those offering shelter to the passengers.

My deepest sympathies to all those involved. From the location and images seen, it looks like the Captain made for the pier as soon as the incident took place otherwise the ship would have had no reason to be as close to the island as she seems to have been.

RIP to the 8 victims.

A friend just emailed me these pictures, you can see the progression of the sinking, the last picture shows the ship on her side in water, one bridge wing sticking out. I am sorry for the bad quality of them, but I guess the better quality ones will follow.

It is way to early to even guess what could sink such a new ship like this, but my thoughts have to go back to the Louis ship that sank a couple of years ago.

Great job by the crew to get nearly everyone off the ship so quickly.

web.jpg.ae1efe2ec893263da879e7c9c4ad99d3.jpg

web1.jpg.7099ddae9d5618ff42a63876b6a4dc93.jpg

web2.jpg.6c06f932d092d0a47e4e77bf12696bbd.jpg

web3.jpg.cdd309d718ebec8691bfa1a963197b60.jpg

The ship has sunk. Capsized.

I'm not sure what you mean.

Capsize does not necessarily mean a full sinking. Even if a ship were to completely flip (In movie terms, The Poseidon Adventure, or in real world terms, the Princess of the Stars).

As far as we can tell, the Concordia has rolled onto her starboard side. She may be touching bottom, but she may also be somewhat buoyant.

As for salvaging the ship, that is entirely possible. If she has just capsized and is only partially submerged then salvage is definite. If she actually sinks, salvage is still plausible. Ships have been raised and salvaged. To what extent a ship can be salvaged is the question. Whether the ship would require a complete rebuild or just a very thorough gutting and reconstruction is up in the air.

It boggles the mind that this can occur on a modern ship.

That is what I was thinking. Since the sinking of the Titanic, I thought somehow the compartments would seal and if power is out, there are other backup systems that are powered or mechanical.

I'm not sure what you mean.

Capsize does not necessarily mean a full sinking. Even if a ship were to completely flip (In movie terms, The Poseidon Adventure, or in real world terms, the Princess of the Stars).

As far as we can tell, the Concordia has rolled onto her starboard side. She may be touching bottom, but she may also be somewhat buoyant.

As for salvaging the ship, that is entirely possible. If she has just capsized and is only partially submerged then salvage is definite. If she actually sinks, salvage is still plausible. Ships have been raised and salvaged. To what extent a ship can be salvaged is the question. Whether the ship would require a complete rebuild or just a very thorough gutting and reconstruction is up in the air.

Thats what I thought, but what could they even use to refloat her?(If possible)

That is what I was thinking. Since the sinking of the Titanic, I thought somehow the compartments would seal and if power is out, there are other backup systems that are powered or mechanical.

Ironically, theres reports of a huge gash in the hull. The same thing that sunk the Titanic.

To make things even more ironic, the Titanic sunk on April 15, 1912. This happened January 14, 2012. Almost 100 years to the day. 3 months shy.

Thats what I thought, but what could they even use to refloat her?(If possible)

I'm not entirely sure of the process of righting a ship this size.

I imagine that first the ship would have to be stabilized to some degree so that she can't just float away or, really, move at all. Then dive teams would have to temporarily patch the gashes in the hull. Since the ship is powerless, external generators and pumps would probably be used to begin draining the compartments.

I'm not sure how all of those balcony cabins would affect the flooding. I'm very interested to see what will be done in the coming days.

That being said, I cannot see Carnival allowing this ship to become a total loss.

Archived