Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

That is what I was thinking. Since the sinking of the Titanic, I thought somehow the compartments would seal and if power is out, there are other backup systems that are powered or mechanical.

Well, it's a 165 foot gash (no word how wide) so that would take on alot of water in a very short time. Even if all the watertight doors worked it still allows alot of water on the starboard side which would pull her down.

Also, as stated before, the lifeboats on the port side would not be able to be lowered if she is listing past a certain point. We have seen no pictures of the port side so there's no telling yet if they were able to get a few boats down before she capsized.

Also, capsizing is NOT sinking. It looks like she is indeed on her starboard side but hopefully they have gotten her to shallow enough water (must have been under their own power as I saw no tugs in any of the pictures) so as not to sink all the way.

Of course, I am speculating as much as the rest until we see concrete news and pictures in the daylight. Those should be coming soon.

Again, all my thoughts go to the crew at this time. Most people only think of ruined vacations, but please remember that people live on these ships for months at a time. They have co-workers and friends on board that the passengers never see. God's speed to all those onboard.

That photo leads me to believe the ship is aground. If it were in deep water it would have completed the roll to full capsized (or sunk entirely).

She could still be floating...still may be buoyant.

While it saddens me that some of the passengers lost their lives(my sympathies to their families) it speaks volumes that they were able to mount such a superb rescue mission and saved over 4000 people on the ship.

Absolutely, while we don't know everything, all of this seemed to have happened very quickly and the crew deserves praise for how they handled it.

It looks to me like the ship is buoyant, though.

Chilling photos when you think about the people on board. Very sad for the folks who have died, and for those who were there.

I remember folks complaining and being rude during a muster drill. This proves that anything can happen and that while you can't live in fear, you must take safety seriously.

Amazing picture..! Looks like she has capsized on her starboard side, and is lying on the bottom. I would think salvage would be possible from this orientiation, and probably recovery of some of passenger valuables. Will be a long and complicated process though.

The timeline between the grounding and the capsizing of the Concordia appears to be less than the time it took the Titanic to sink after striking the iceberg...

Much praise to the crew during the emergency to minimize the loss of life.

That photo leads me to believe the ship is aground. If it were in deep water it would have completed the roll to full capsized (or sunk entirely).

It appears they were able to get it close to shore to prevent it from completely sinking.

Archived