Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

It looks like the ship may still be afloat; I checked my charting software for Giglio (from 2008), The harbor itself only has about 15 feet of water, but outside the seawall it drops off quickly to over 30 feet deep within 100 feet of the red marker (that looks like a light house.)

The chart doesn't show any obstructions in the general vicinity of the ship's current location. It will be interesting to find out what caused the power outage and list.

Additional info : Giglio is about 40 miles from Civitavecchia. It is about 8 miles to the Italian coast.

Aloha,

John

Very sad.

When we are on our next cruises, and go to the muster drill, think about these poor people and how they actually had to react to an emergency. Shows how important the drills are! I can't imagine what it must have been like for them, especially anyone with little kids or people with mobility issues.

Pat

Can they still salvage a ship tipped over like that?

Technically possible but likely the salt water damage to so much of the ship will make salvage less feasible. That said, perhaps praying for the survivors is more critical at this point, and figuring out salvage options can come later.

Agree with the poster who commented knowing the Muster information is critical.

I hope the rest of the folks are off and the final count shows no additional loss of life.

Concordia is the same footprint as Splendor. If I remember correctly, Splendor was originally intended for Costa but was "reassigned" to Carnival.

could make sense as the decor is a bit different from the stylings of the rest of the CCL fleet and the Carnival fleet doesn't really build classes of 1

The Pictures that have shown up seem to show a timeline of events:

1)costa-concordia-2.jpg

All Port-side lifeboats are stored.

2)Inclinata_2109032b.jpg

All but three port lifeboats are gone.

3)Costa_2109033b.jpg

All Port lifeboats gone?

Hopefully this means everyone got off the ship before she capsized.

Very sad.

When we are on our next cruises, and go to the muster drill, think about these poor people and how they actually had to react to an emergency. Shows how important the drills are! I can't imagine what it must have been like for them, especially anyone with little kids or people with mobility issues.

Pat

Very true..! Wife and I are sailing in less than 3 weeks, and even though we've been to many muster drills before, you can bet we will be paying attention, and aware of where our muster station is...

More than likely the intitial deaths are crew that would have been working or living below the water level toward the front of the ship. If there was any kind of flooding before the watertight doors could be closed (and they can close with no power, under generators) then they most likely drowned or were killed upon impact if they were in the area that was struck.

I remember not too long ago crew members were asleep in their cabin when a ship struck a pier while docking and it pierced thier cabins drowning them immediately.

Having worked on ships it's amazing to me how little respect the crew gets when conduxting the safety drills for passengers. For anyone that has every complained because they couldn't have a cocktail for 30 minutes think about this the next time you are standing there.

As for the crew we did crew safety drills every two weeks. I'm sure the crew on this ship helped save lives (I would hope so anyway)

Archived