Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

I was on Costa Concordia last November.... shocking news.

This is a circle itinerary and new passengers are boarding in each port. That is why the emergency drill was not held before the departure from Chivitaveccia.

They are doing it next day in Savona.

Unfortunately, the event is having an increasingly negative evolution...

my thoughts and prayers to all involved.

I can confirm the emergency number provided by Costa: 848 50 50 50

Here some others number... hope It helps!

Civil protection departement: 800 840 840

http://www.protezionecivile.gov.it/jcms/en/homepage.wp;jsessionid=82718F23A55BD1AB7964DB6C07E0E5A4

Grosseto prefecture: +39 0564433111

http://www.prefettura.it/grosseto/contenuti/4864.htm

ItalianGuest

Its hard to believe that I can go buy a 20 dollar fish finder that tells me the depth of the water around me when I go fishing, yet we have a modern cruise ship hitting a rock and almost completely sinking. Surely this ship has some sort of sonar to indicate water depth. Maybe electrical problems knocked out the navagation tools on the ship and she was unaware of the rock. If so, a complete redesign should be done on all ships to ensure the navagation system is always working.

Good point.

And the ship was sailing pretty much in home waters. They must have done this route thousands (or tens of thousands) of times by now.

Also dont forget the Princess listing accident as well. These things are top heavy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Princess_(ship)#Listing_incident

The ship IMO is a write off. Salt water damage will ensure that.

They aren't top heavy. Yes, they are high above the water, but all the machinery is down low or underneath the water, which gives them the low center of gravity. The higher decks are made of aluminium too, which decreases the weight at the top of the ship.

Also, the Crown Princess incident was due to human error, not ship design.

As my husband and I have been on over 23 cruises, we cannot help but personally feel the sheer terror that these poor people must have gone through . . . and still are.

We have always found cruises to be a very safe mode of travel, but, despite all the technological advancements, I guess anything can happen.

God Bless the passengers and crew that made it out and our prayers remain for the dead and injured. It's just so unbelieveable.

Our next cruise is in July. This makes us think!

Really, really shocking news. Young clients of our small cruise agency just have been on the Concordia in the end of December and called me this morning. Everybody is shocked, they already booked a new tour with the ship, because they loved it so much. So we will see how this process will work out.

It's also the headline news on german tv. They are talking to saved passengers and they are criticizing massively the whole management of the rescue process. They say, there were no instructions at all and crew members jumping into the life boats before the passengers.

I just hope that really everybody is off the ship and not still stuck in one of the lower decks. :(

A lot of speculation still. Hope all remaining passengers and crew are found safe and well. Lovely memories of Concordia now tinged with intense sadness. I hope the frequent moaning about the multi-lingual lifeboat drills will now cease. We will all listen with total attention in future!!

Several passengers said crew members for a good 45 minutes told passengers there was a simple "technical problem" that had caused the lights to go off. Seasoned cruisers, however, knew better and went to get their life jackets in their rooms and report to their "muster stations," the emergency stations each passenger is assigned to, they said.

Once there, though, crew members delayed lowering the lifeboats even thought the ship was listing badly, they said.

"We had to scream at the controllers to release the boats from the side," said Mike van Dijk, a 54-year-old from Pretoria, South Africa. "We were standing in the corridors and they weren't allowing us to get onto the boats. It was a scramble, an absolute scramble."

----------------------------------------------

What a terrifying ordeal ...thoughts and prayers to the crew, passengers, and families involved.

This is so sad. I seriously considered booking this route and Costa for late spring.

Something to consider when asking how they can run aground in such familiar area and regular sailings....this whole area of Italy, out in the Mediterranean and the Agean is a highly active volcanic area. The sea floor can certainly rise unknown to anyone when pressure builds in the mantle.

That may or may not have happened. Too early to tell and I'm sure the investigation will go on for months.

Yeah terrible news... my girlfriend was working there, we're from peru and her family and me dont know nothing about her... i dont know if this is too much to ask... here is 1:50am but if someone here is italian and it's able to get information there, plz write me right now...

Oliver, I hope you've heard from your girlfriend by now. I'm in Europe (not Italy) so if I can help in any way (by making phonecalls, for example), just let me know.

I went through the majority of the above postings and I have a few personal reflections:

1. my thoughts go to ALL passengers and crewmembers. Somewhere such accident will stay in their memory. And of course those who disappeared or are injured is very sad for them and their families.

2. there is always some "fatality" in major accidents, if it is a ship or an airliner crash. Apparently weather was not an issue here and for the reasons we have to wait the official investigations. Now in december 2010 outside the Falklands and Ushuaia we had a major storm on ms Veendam (approx 1250 pax) and major is 12 beaufort = hurricane force! Impressive, but never felt to be in danger.

3. remarks about the compulsory drill. To be honnest how serious passengers and crew are during this drill? Most of us as walking over there as during an excursion, some not happy because they feel it a loss of their free time.

By coincidence end november (2011) on the drill I made a remark to my wife. I said look this "show", I wonder if there is really a disaster, I believe the reaction will be quite different! On top of that, I even made a remark that when the ship is more or less horizontal, it wud be ok... but what happens when the ship is hanging over on one side!!! Exactly what happened here !!!!

4. The tendency to built bigger and bigger monsters such as this one or worse the Oasis class of RCCL with nearly 6000 pax plus staff. An evacuation in urgency is and must be more difficult and much slower as the small size (style Seabourn, Windstar etc) and even what call "human scale" between the 600 and max 1500 pax.

5. Now it is certain that some people will say "Oh no, never cruising" but these are the same that at each aircrash they say they will not take a plane anymore.

Statistically considering the number of pax carried and the low number of fatalities, these stay a safer mode of transport. You have more risks in drinving to the airport of the cruise terminal!!! And even if you know that the majority of people die in their bed....

Question to stay cool at these unreasonable reactions.

This is Trev here, I finally managed to convince my girlfriend to come on a cruise (she's not fond of boats and has a mild fear of the ocean).

With news breaking of a ship the size of ours (the ruby princess) running aground and basically sinking, she'll be freaking out and not wanting to go now. Any soothing words of advice from you cruising pros out there that I can use here>>??:confused:

Oliver, I hope you've heard from your girlfriend by now. I'm in Europe (not Italy) so if I can help in any way (by making phonecalls, for example), just let me know.
Hey Thoie thank you for that reply.. no i've not news from her.. crc (the business who contract her for concordia cant give me information about her). I don't know where to start about callings, i ve awake all the noight finding info about the peruvian crew in there. I was calling the emergency number 00 39 848 50 50 50 (the way to call from here) but it says "the number is out of service". So I'm still researching on internet finding numbers to call or anything.

Archived