Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Looks like ItalianGuest is taking care of you. I tried the number from here but got the out of service message as well.

I'm here, waiting for him, but at this time any contact, also by e-mail.

Maybe he is checking photographs, like someone suggested before.

I am in Dallas - 9:35am Central time and CNN just reported that there are approx. 70 people unaccounted for. They have divers searching the vessel and the captain has been questioned.

The captain left the ship prior to some of the passengers and did not issue a may day call (according to CNN).

My prayers for all passengers, crew and their families. How tragic.

Just heard on CNN that captain got off before the last passengers and that there was no early May-Day called.

Pray that they are wrong on 70 missing people.

I hope the result of this is that both passengers and cruise lines take muster drills much more seriously. It used to be that a full head count was done and we stood in lines under life boats till everybody is accounted for. Now it seems, we go to a lounge and have no idea who is in charge of each group, lots of people blow it off all together.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
This is Trev here, I finally managed to convince my girlfriend to come on a cruise (she's not fond of boats and has a mild fear of the ocean).

With news breaking of a ship the size of ours (the ruby princess) running aground and basically sinking, she'll be freaking out and not wanting to go now. Any soothing words of advice from you cruising pros out there that I can use here>>??:confused:

Trev, there are more people killed in car accidents, planes and other everyday accidents than in modern time on cruise ships. All the details about how these people died haven't come out yet except one man died of a heart attack after jumping in the water. Just tell her to calm down and see how many people survived vs. a plan going down!

As I said in my first post, this reminds me so much of the Louis Diamond it's scary, though in this case there was a better outcome. but of course I am deeply saddened at the loss of life.

The ships rely on the charts, if the charts are not accurate they are playing a game of Russian roulette, the amazing thing is, large rocks can and do move underwater for various reasons so yes, in a shallow draft area I can see a ship hitting one, reefs, not so much.

The official report on this will make for interesting reading.

Carnival Splendor, sister ship to the Concordia, is also the Carnival ship that lost power off the cost of Mexico in 2010. Just pointing this out because it seems that the initial reports of the problems on Concordia started with a massive electrical problem onboard.

The latest from Costa directly can be found here. There is no mention of the ship capsizing-but I'm pretty sure it has.

Good point! That hadn't occurred to me yet.

IIRC the 2007 sinking of Sea Diamond in Santorini followed the ship striking a reef that was not charted correctly... a similar scenario to this one.

Just a question....... are the charts for the Mediterranean dangerously out of date?

The Mediterranean charts are more than likely correct, Costa passes through this area almost on a daily basis. But one point to take into account is that Italy is on a faulty line with many earthquakes each year, one can see the damage on land but not under water.

Ron

This all seems so unreal. How can this happen to a large, mainstream, only 6-year old cruise ship? So sad for everyone onboard, and the families of those killed or injured.

It happened to a 4 day old liner 100 years ago (Titanic)

It's almost impossible to prevent disasters happening, but modern technology can at least make the results of the disaster more survivable.

The fire on Star Princess claimed 1 life, while the fire on the Morro Castle in the 1930's claimed 137 lives. The sinking of the Titanic claimed almost 1400 lives, while the death toll from this tragedy is far, far less.

It is, however, still a very real tragedy for all those hurt and killed in this disaster and their nearest and dearest, my thoughts are with them for their sad loss. We must just be grateful that many people are alive and well.

A real tragedy.. :( Let's hope that the folks who treat the muster drill as a joke (and there are some on every cruise), or even skip it if they can get away with it; participate and pay attention next time. It could be a life or death decision..

I would like to first say just how sad this event is. Our thoughts and prayers go out too all those missing and lost souls, and the families affected.

In looking at these photos, it is apparant to me that the ship had to be in some sort of evasive maneuver trying to miss that rock reef. You can clearly see the stabilizor is intact. Then directly after the stabilizor is the huge gash in the stern. It makes me think she was turning hard to starboard trying as best they could to miss the reef.

It had to be a very hard turn to place that gash as it is. If it was going straight ahead, the gash would have been all along the port side, instead of only the aft area. Hope this makes some sense!

"The cruise liner's captain, Paolillo said, then tried to steer his ship toward shallow waters, near Giglio's small port, to make evacuation by lifeboat easier. But after the ship started listing badly, lifeboat evacuation was no longer feasible, Paolillo said."

via yahoo news

http://news.yahoo.com/ship-aground-off-italy-3-bodies-found-69-134340580.html

Buongiorno Globetrotter,

ho notato che anche lei scrive dall'Italia e che, sicuramente, ha più domestichezza con l'inglese di me.... Oliver_X non mi ha ancora contattato per e-mail... non potrebbe anche lei mettersi a sua disposizione? Magari lei usa facebook, skype o msn...

Cordiali saluti,

ItalianGuest

Certamente, sono a disposizione! Solo che non so come aiutare...

Non ho facebook nè skype, messenger però si!

Oliver_X,

I'm italian and I speak english fluently, if you need any help just contact me!!!

"He said children and women were given priority when it came to allocating places on lifeboats, but the system proved to be difficult to implement because many men "weren't accepting this" because they wanted to remain together as a family, prompting "huge confusion". "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16561382

The muster drills never mention this ancient code of conduct in ship emergencies. Many modern males feel they should be bound by it. Giving up the seat on the bus has gone the way of women and children first into the lifeboats. What can the crew do with such men. The crew isn't armed. The pushing and shoving on the Costa cruise I went on was unprecedented for me. I still loved the ship and the services but I worried what would happen in an emergency. I don't know how a muster drill can change what is apparently acceptable behavior for certain passengers.

When I talked about crew quarters and possible deaths of crew in their cabins this area where the damage is is EXACTLY where crew members would be living. Yes, there are also working areas as well there.:(

I was told it wasn't allowed for living areas to be under the waterline.

I'd be more interested in knowing why there was no muster drill. I can understand why there would be chaos, if you didn't know where you muster station was. I might probably run right for the nearest lifeboats.

I alway get a little chuckle during the muster drill when the Captain says to "return to your cabin and put on warm clothes, life jacket and any medication you need".

When panic sets in, how could anyone be expected to be able to make it to their staterooms and then back to the muster station during the pandaemonium of an emergency situation???

CNN just spoke to a dancer rosalin who was on the ship. I'm sure there will be a replay if you missed it.

Just heard this on CNN. Sounds like it took over an hour before they decided to evacuate the boat. Such a sad story for everyone involved!

Certamente, sono a disposizione! Solo che non so come aiutare...

Non ho facebook nè skype, messenger però si!

Oliver_X,

I'm italian and I speak english fluently, if you need any help just contact me!!!

Grazie! :)

Speriamo si faccia vivo al più presto per inviarci informazioni utili ad aiutarlo o, ancora meglio, torni sul forum portando già lui buone notizie!!!

ItalianGuest

Archived