Tragedy showing financial impact -- Carnival down 20%; RCCL down 8%

The terrible tragedy is starting to show its financial impact on the cruise industry and on Carnival Corporation.

Carnival Corporation stock opened 20% lower this morning. Let's see how it progresses as the day goes by.

RCCL stock is down 8.15% at this very moment.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

It's a Holiday (MLK) in the US, and the markets are closed. Which market are you getting these quotes from?

The rest of the world is still trading today. These numbers are probably from FTSE, which just closed for the day. How these stocks open tomorrow on the NYSE depend to a great degree on what news plays out today on the rescue efforts and the causes.

The terrible tragedy is starting to show its financial impact on the cruise industry and on Carnival Corporation.

Carnival Corporation stock opened 20% lower this morning. Let's see how it progresses as the day goes by.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Let's not, unless you have money in that particular cruise line. IMO speculators are doing a lot of damage to our economy, just for the benefit of making themselves rich. Gas prices use to slowly rise or drop based on long term trends ironing out any little bubble on the way, but these days someone publishes a story about something that might happen and prices jump the next day.

The rest of the world is still trading today. These numbers are probably from FTSE, which just closed for the day. How these stocks open tomorrow on the NYSE depend to a great degree on what news plays out today on the rescue efforts and the causes.

Hey thanks...I'll have to figure out what I need to do in order to get quotes on other exchanges.

Hey thanks...I'll have to figure out what I need to do in order to get quotes on other exchanges.

if you have a smart phone (iPhone or Android) do an app search on Bloomberg. That's the one I use, and it gives me all of the major WW exchanges, and all of the DR (depository receipt) variants of equities.

Carnival trades on the New York Stock Exchange and London Stock Exchange.

Royal Caribbean trades on the New York Stock Exchange and the Oslo Stock Exchange.

Carnival closed down 16.4%, and Royal Caribbean closed down 7.59%, approximately.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

If we don't have stock in this, how will it affect the general public? Will the prices go up or will the cruiseline charge more for things inside the ships?

I would predict the opposite to be the case. I don't think it will effect the inside prices of the ship, but if there is a shift, my prediction is price reductions.

Let's not, unless you have money in that particular cruise line. IMO speculators are doing a lot of damage to our economy, just for the benefit of making themselves rich. Gas prices use to slowly rise or drop based on long term trends ironing out any little bubble on the way, but these days someone publishes a story about something that might happen and prices jump the next day.

Ironically, I prefer the speculators because it allows us level-headed folks to make a bit of money off of people crying that the end of the world is near. The speculators are the ones that make Mr Market go into wild gyrations on the price he believes RCL is worth...and I'm more than happy to profit on those wild gyrations.

For instance, when the mood is negative, I just buy puts to hedge my long position and then wait for a desirable low buy point. When the mood is overly positive, I place trailing stops once the price gets too far above my humble scribbled estimates.

Quite honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing another drop to the low $20s range. I buy up shares in a heartbeat.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Good time to grap a few shares of RCL:)

Archived