Bringing food on board

Glen&Kathy

I know you really can't bring produce home from the Caribbean, at least not that I recall. But, can you bring food from Miami on to the ship? We are from WI and love our cheese and sausage and were wondering if anyone knows if this is possible.

Less than 2 weeks now. WHEW HOO!!!!!

Thanks.

G

There is no problem bringing food onto the ship at any port; it is bringing food off the ship that can be a problem.

The food does not need to be prepackaged or processed.

Be careful on the amount of food you bring on that might need refrigeration. If your room has a refrigerator, it will be tiny and will not hold much.

There is no problem bringing food onto the ship at any port; it is bringing food off the ship that can be a problem.

Be careful on the amount of food you bring on that might need refrigeration. If your room has a refrigerator, it will be tiny and will not hold much.

Furthermore, most of the cabins don't have microwaves either, maybe the suites do. So if you wished to warm up your sausages, you won't be able to in your cabin. With all of the good food aboard a ship, there isn't any good reason to load some aboard.

Your answer could not be more inaccurate.

You CANNOT bring food onto the ship unless it is pre-packaged. When getting off the ship you can take anything you want. They do not inspect, x-ray or even ask. The exception being when you return to the US, customs may have an issue.

You CANNOT bring food onto the ship unless it is pre-packaged. When getting off the ship you can take anything you want. They do not inspect, x-ray or even ask. The exception being when you return to the US, customs may have an issue.

In ports of call, you are under the laws of the country you are in, and most state that you cannot bring any fresh fruit, many meats, etc off the ship (most pre-packaged food is ok). Even in many US ports (like Alaska and Hawaii) you are not permitted to bring fresh fruits or meats off the ship. This will be stated in your Daily at each port stop. Just because nobody has checked your bag, don't assume it is ok - because it usually isn't.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is really amazing: on our Sun South America cruise I filled out the forms entering Chile. When it asked if I had any food such as fruits, vegetables, grains, seeds, etc. I said no. I did not think my little unopened package of Blue Diamond almonds counted. Luckily a NCL rep quizzed me and she insisted I redo the form. I reluctantly did it. I passed through with the nuts with no problem.

The next day at our M&G I learned some folks were fined at least $200 in US cash for the same kinds of nuts! Amazing. I was shocked that American Airlines had not clearly explained this on our flight.

It taught me to be very careful when traveling with regard to food and drink.

Your answer is not accurate either.

In most ports, fresh fruit is NOT permitted off the ship. Earlier this month, in Mexico, they WERE checking and confiscating all fruit, sandwiches, and buffet food. My bag was inspected, along with all others from 3 ships in port. It really slowed getting ashore, and in spite of warning signs on the ships, people were still trying to smuggle food off the ships.

What cheapskates!:rolleyes:

Your answer is not accurate either.

In most ports, fresh fruit is NOT permitted off the ship. Earlier this month, in Mexico, they WERE checking and confiscating all fruit, sandwiches, and buffet food. My bag was inspected, along with all others from 3 ships in port. It really slowed getting ashore, and in spite of warning signs on the ships, people were still trying to smuggle food off the ships.

What cheapskates!:rolleyes:

What a difference a week makes. I just did a B2B including Costa Maya and Cozumel, twice. Nobody on the ship or the dock made even the slightest inquiry about food or anything else we might have been carrying off the ship. I guess they discontinued those inspections since people had less time to spend money in the local economy?

This is really amazing: on our Sun South America cruise I filled out the forms entering Chile. When it asked if I had any food such as fruits, vegetables, grains, seeds, etc. I said no. I did not think my little unopened package of Blue Diamond almonds counted. Luckily a NCL rep quizzed me and she insisted I redo the form. I reluctantly did it. I passed through with the nuts with no problem.

The next day at our M&G I learned some folks were fined at least $200 in US cash for the same kinds of nuts! Amazing. I was shocked that American Airlines had not clearly explained this on our flight.

It taught me to be very careful when traveling with regard to food and drink.

Reminds me of a story in South Africa. We were transiting in Johannesburg after an overnight stop on our way from NYC on a four continent trip to Sydney and had done some light shopping in the airport gift shop in JNB, arrived just fine in SYD. Going thru customs in SYD, had filled out the form "No fruits, no veggies, no wood, ivory, animal products, etc" without even thinking about it. Got busted for a pair of salad tongs made of wood that I had purchased in the airport, hadn't even occurred to me - I was thinking more "a stick of wood" lol! They were confiscated, along with several other odd items (tweezers?), and a few prescriptions including my daughter's EpiPens, because of a slight difference in the spelling of her name. I have been all over the world and this was the first time I had such odd items confiscated. But since then, I have been extra careful, and yet have still had a few more things taken - odd! (and lots of prescriptions, that's why I'm a stickler when people ask about packing their pills in "organizers").

Robin

Reminds me of a story in South Africa. We were transiting in Johannesburg after an overnight stop on our way from NYC on a four continent trip to Sydney and had done some light shopping in the airport gift shop in JNB, arrived just fine in SYD. Going thru customs in SYD, had filled out the form "No fruits, no veggies, no wood, ivory, animal products, etc" without even thinking about it. Got busted for a pair of salad tongs made of wood that I had purchased in the airport, hadn't even occurred to me - I was thinking more "a stick of wood" lol! They were confiscated, along with several other odd items (tweezers?), and a few prescriptions including my daughter's EpiPens, because of a slight difference in the spelling of her name. I have been all over the world and this was the first time I had such odd items confiscated. But since then, I have been extra careful, and yet have still had a few more things taken - odd! (and lots of prescriptions, that's why I'm a stickler when people ask about packing their pills in "organizers").

Robin

I would be angry. Why would an airport sell them knowing that they are going to be in violation? It should be clearly marked that they cannot be taken on a plane that is flying internationally.

I would be angry. Why would an airport sell them knowing that they are going to be in violation? It should be clearly marked that they cannot be taken on a plane that is flying internationally.

In their defense, they didn't know where we were flying and it was only AUS customs that forbade them. They would have been perfectly legal to bring back to the USA for example.

Robin

Robin

That is why we are always careful about packing our meds in their original Rx bottles with the labels very clearly spelled out. I went through security at Chicago's O'Hare airport 2 years ago on our way to Seattle for our Alaskan cruise. Had Rx cough med (liquid, over the 3 oz limit) that was almost confiscated until I told them to read the label and that it was because I had bronchitis. They called the head of TSA and after asking me a few questions and carefully examining the bottle, they allowed me to take it through.

Better to be safe then sorry. Never had a problem with my husband's epi-pen. Will have to be very careful with it.

Like others have said the ports have their rules about food coming off ships - there will be a massive notice detailing the rules prior to you disembarking and going through security. Not sure about going on, but with all the fantastic food available on board pretty much round the clock can you cope without the special cheese and sausage?

We have a private charter in Grand Cayman for our upcoming cruise. They have told us we can bring lunch along. (The price they would charge to provide it is out of sight and I don't want to take time away from the water to go to lunch!) So I take from this thread that it would be safest to assume the only thing we could take off the ship for "lunch" would be prepackaged things (peanut butter cups, cheese and cracker packages, etc.), correct?

We have a private charter in Grand Cayman for our upcoming cruise. They have told us we can bring lunch along. (The price they would charge to provide it is out of sight and I don't want to take time away from the water to go to lunch!) So I take from this thread that it would be safest to assume the only thing we could take off the ship for "lunch" would be prepackaged things (peanut butter cups, cheese and cracker packages, etc.), correct?

For most foreign ports, and several US and Canadian ports as well, this is correct. In some ports, some items are allowed, others in other ports, etc. You can count on no fruit or veggies allowed off the ship and no meat/fish that hasn't been prepackaged, and usually no unpackaged cheese either. The easiest way to deal with this if you don't want to eat just packaged cereal and chips (the things you might find on a ship) is to make a quick stop at a local grocery on your way to the charter for snacks, sandwiches, drinks, etc. It usually only takes a couple of minutes and then you are set for the day.

Robin

I just got back from a B2B in Honduras, Belize, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. Stopped in each port twice. Never had anyone check, inquire or suggest we could not take any food off the ship into port. Just my recent experience over a two week period.

Archived