Are Mega-Cruise-liners Safe?

Not worried at all. I drive a Motorcycle all over the U.S. and drive on I-95 and other roads that have a WAY better chance of getting hurt or killed everyday. We ALL have a better chance of getting killed everyday with the everyday things we do. Did I mention, Everyday?

Just think about it.

I agree that the way they do the muster is not in my opinion the safest or correct way to do the drill. In case of a real emergency too many people would be blindly looking for someplace they never saw before. Many would run with the mob..... and not where they need to be. I wonder if this recent tragedy will change the Oasis /Allure safety procedures.

Why would people be looking for someplace they never saw before, if they attended the muster drill, then they ahould know where they went for that and proceed there?:confused:

I agree they are safe and I believe RCCL has a very professional staff however I have been thinking about the number of people on the Oasis/Allure that would need to get off the ship. In the case of the ship this weekend I have read they took people to the island and then returned in the operating life boats to take the rest of the passengers and crew. So that makes me think with some life boats unuseable there were actually not enough. Now it worked out fine (and good thinking/bravery on the part of the crew to return) but in a situation with no land would this have been even worse? I a situation where you have 6000 people instead of 4000 and you have damaged or inoperable life boats there is potential for more panic and more people hurt. I sailed on the Allure in Nov and have the Oasis booked for 2013 and I most likely won't change my plans but it has been bothering me.

Most, if not all, cruise ships have enough life RAFT capacity for all passengers and crew, so even if all life boats where disabled there are still the rafts to carry you to safety

90,000,000 people took a cruise

90,000,000 people crossed the road

90,000,000 people drove their car

How many people died due to an accident in each scenario?

Wrong.

PSA director Bill Gibbons said Costa and the wider cruise industry would fully cooperate in a full and thorough investigation into the causes of this event.

He said: ‘We would like to reassure other cruise ship passengers that PSA member cruise companies operate to the highest safety standards around the world and according to international maritime requirements.

‘During the past two decades, cruise lines have maintained the best safety record in the travel industry while transporting more than 90 million people throughout the world.'

90,000,000 people took a cruise last year.

90,000,000 people crossed the road last year

90,000,000 people drove their car last year

How many people died due to an accident in each scenario?

During the past two decades, cruise lines have maintained the best safety record in the travel industry while transporting more than 90 million people throughout the world.'

90 million people in 1 year, or in 20 years? You mentioned both figures.

90 million people over 20 years is 4.5 million cruisers per year.

I dont know how true it is but it was reported on the news last night by representative from the cruise industry that since 2006, something like 100 million people have taken cruises worldwide and that there have been 16 deaths. That including the 6 that were confirmed dead as of last night from Concordia.

Cruise ships are much "safer" than the car you drive to the airport or cruise terminal in.

Here in my county we have had two traffic fatalities already in 2012. A while back we had 120 in one year (in a county of 300,000 people). Those are sorry odds. I'll take my chances on a cruise ship any day.

Totally agree Darth, This whole thing reminds me why I like cruising. Because I can go to the Carribean without flying.

Last year is not the same as two decades.

I dont know how true it is but it was reported on the news last night by representative from the cruise industry that since 2006, something like 100 million people have taken cruises worldwide and that there have been 16 deaths. That including the 6 that were confirmed dead as of last night from Concordia.

I corrected myself to 90mil over 20 years.

The comparisons remain the same - now 21 deaths in cruise ship accidents in 20 years compared to those caused crossing a road or driving a car........

This summer on FOS, I believe our Captains name was Tor. I felt like I was so safe and under a great professional. His communication with us was outstanding. There was a Tropical Storm-Emily heading over St Thomas and St Martin. He took us out of the way and we headed on the Western Itinerary instead.

I knew exactly where to go for our Muster drill. I think we were on deck 5. Every Seapass card has the assignment on it. If there was an emergency, I had confidence that they ould have helped me to the right location.

I had so much peace on my trip. I could just feel The Lord with me. It was so beautiful. I knew I was right where I needed to be at that moment in time.

The recent sinking and capsizing of the MS. Costa Concordia raises a question that all of the found cruise-lines must consider and answer. Are these enormous cruise-ships safe?[/B]

Safer than driving in a car.

We have only been on 2 cruises so far. The one thing that I think about is when I see the Captain involved in the events around the ship. I think sometimes it would give them the "star" status mentality which takes them away from the ultimate responsibility of overseeing his ship. Personally I think He should be introduced to the passengers and not be seen. only heard on the loud speakers for announcments. I just think it makes it more professional and in turn gives perspective to his position.

Ever since they started building these big ships, I have been amazed that there could be so much ship and so little draft!

The question always comes up at those info meetings with the Captain, WHY DOES'T THE SHIP TIP OVER, and the answer is always the same. It is truly a revolutionary engineering feat that allows such a big ship have such a small draft to allow access of so many passengers to all/most ports throughout the world.

Everything is taken into consideration, including the size and placement of the pools on the upper decks.

But the real breakthrough, along with the stabilization, is the automatic computer operated ballast system. Ballast tanks run along the sides of the ship, below the water line and ballast in the way of water or fuel ia automatically shifted port and starboard, fwd and aft., keeping the ship on a even keel. Anyone who has taken a bridge tour, has seen the sophisticated layout of the ship all lit up with green/red lights, etc., diagrams of pipes and pumps.

Anybody recall the incident with Princess?

If I remember correctly, the ship was leaving PC, and when it reached open sea it turned southerly, and then went into a severe list to starboard. It was about 10-15 degrees, enough to throw dishes, furniture and passengers around.

The ship returned to port and all passengers were sent home.

Investigation showed improper ballast was transferred during the turn, and it was "Human Error". The ships computers fixed the problem right away.

Then now is the current tragedy. Hole was ripped on the port side, through the ballast tanks. Reports say water poured in.

One would think, that the ship would begin to sink in the sten or the bow. BUT the ship instead rolled onto it's side, and opposite the hole!!.

WHY? Did the ships computers detect an inbalance and begin filling the starboard ballast, overcompensating? Do the ships computers know ther is a hole and not just a inbalance as though turning?

And what if the ship did not come to rest on he shallows so close to land? Would it have continued to roll, as in the Poisiden, belly up?

The explorer hit a reef in Cozumel. Fortunately there was no hull damage, just to the blades on one azipod. But it hit a reef just the same in waters you would think we're well charted.

Cruising on these ships are safer than getting in and out of your garden tub at home. In fact, it safer to use the showers on the Oasis because there is not room to slip and fall over.

This ^ :D You can barely shower let alone fall over.

As others have stated, the ships built today have a very low center of gravity and are built such that the higher structures are made of lightweight aluminum rather than steel.

Another poster pointed out the Freedom's encounter with high winds and a list. While some believe we shouldn't have even been out there, I believe it says a lot about the safety of these ships that even with such high wind on the broadside of the ship that we came out of it pretty much unscathed.

I'll let others fret about whether cruising is safe. And while they drive prices lower with their fear, I'll snatch up more sailings :D

Having sailed twice in the past year on the Allure, I would say that they are.

You have to have faith in your crew...perhaps a reason that cost should not be the only factor in choosing a cruise! I know that RCI takes safety very seriously with every crew member (and I mean every crew member from the house hold staff to the entertainers) being trained in safety and what to do in an emergency. Like when you board a plane, your safety is in the crews' hands and one can only hope that they will maintain a professional attitude and not let the emergency turn into a disaster. In reading details of the story of the Concordia, sounds like many many mistakes were made and that the Captain made a bunch of errors of judgement that only made the emergecy worse. As the leader of the crew he sounded like he provided no guidance (except to show the crew that it was truely every man for themselves) and in the end it sounded like that's exactly what the passengers got.

This summer on FOS, I believe our Captains name was Tor. I felt like I was so safe and under a great professional. His communication with us was outstanding. There was a Tropical Storm-Emily heading over St Thomas and St Martin. He took us out of the way and we headed on the Western Itinerary instead.

I knew exactly where to go for our Muster drill. I think we were on deck 5. Every Seapass card has the assignment on it. If there was an emergency, I had confidence that they ould have helped me to the right location.

I had so much peace on my trip. I could just feel The Lord with me. It was so beautiful. I knew I was right where I needed to be at that moment in time.

Was on the same cruise and couldn't agree more

which takes them away from the ultimate responsibility of overseeing his ship. .

He has fully capable officers of "overseeing his ship" during the very seldom times he is seen. Besides you would be surprised what the computers alone do.

I am not in the slightest worried because he has a welcome aboard party, formal dinner or a Q&A session.

I am glad that the captain is not always at the helm. If he was literally at the controls around the clock for months on end, he would be pretty sleep deprived and probably just a little nuts. Obviously the master of ship delegates the conn to other qualified officers. Controlling a ship under way is not exactly like driving down the interstate. They rarely touch the controls, but rather spend their time monitoring the surrounding seas for traffic, weather, and waves using their senses and the ships monitors.

A ship's draft is not always a good indicator of stability. The depth of the keel is important in a sailboat where the keel counterbalances the force of the wind on the sail that is pushing above the center of gravity. A barge has very little draft, an it is the least likely vessel on the water to capsize. What is important is the ratio of the beam (or width) to the height of the center of gravity above the waterline.

Remember what they said about the Titanic, she was supposed to be so great that even God himself couldn't take her down. I for one am not going to challenge Him on this one, but I am also not going to spend the rest of my life in a padded room trying to avoid any tragedy that might befall me. I pray alot and proceed through life as it is. That being said, I am still looking forward to my cruise on FOS in March......and yes my God will be with me:rolleyes:

Archived