Looking to cruise in a suite

Well, of course, you're asking this question on the NCL board, so most of the answers you'll get here will be "Yes."

We've sailed constantly in suites on NCL, and love the space, perks, and luxury. But since I've never sailed in suites on any other line, I wouldn't presume to be able to give you comparisons. I'm sure every cruise line provides luxury and comfort and perks in their suites.

If you search around, someone did a comparison of all the suites and NCL ranks near the top, if not at the top, for mainstream cruise lines. I've only sailed on NCL, but I'm hooked on the suite life! I'd rather cruise every year or two in a suite, than frequently in an inside room. I love the ship within a ship feeling of the Haven.

We have had suites on Celebrity, Holland America, NCL,and Princess. For us, Princess probably tops NCL (only slightly) because of the free laundry and Internet. NCL has better suite service though. Surprisingly, Celebrity doesnt come close.

We have sailed in suites on NCL, Disney and as regular balcony people on Seabourn, which is like a suite anywhere else.... We loved our first experience on NCL last year and have booked the same cabin for next month. It was by far the most spectacular of the four suites we've had, in terms of space, luxury and drama-- the views from the BATHROOM were to die for!!! Disney has better service overall on their ships, but because the service in the Haven is so special and personalized, it wins for me. And we absolutely loved the concept of having all of the advantages of a large ship-- lots of shows, restaurants and activities-- with all of the quieter, more private space of the Haven. It just really worked for us. We are really, really, really looking forward to sailing in "our" DOS on Epic again next month!!

We have had suites on Celebrity, Holland America, NCL,and Princess. For us, Princess probably tops NCL (only slightly) because of the free laundry and Internet. NCL has better suite service though. Surprisingly, Celebrity doesnt come close.

We sailed three times on NCL in a suite, but our next cruise will be a suite on Celebrity. So, I am interested in your comment about Celebrity. What was lacking in the Celebrity experience? What expectations might we want to adjust?

Re: our suite experience on NCL, we have enjoyed it and recommended it to others; however, in our three cruises we have experienced variability in the quality of the butler and concierge, plus for our most-recent cruise we found the haven courtyard to be far from a place of relaxation. Cagney's for breakfast and lunch has been the amenity we have consistently enjoyed the most (and, will miss on Celebrity :().

Anthony and David..

There was nothing "wrong" with the suite experience on Celebrity...it just didnt live up to the "hype" that the cruiseline advertises. No free internet..no free laundry service..no breakfast, lunch or dinner for suite guests in a specialty restaurant. (they did give us one free dinner at a restaurant of our choice) They never really made us feel "special" like NCL and Princess do. A butler was provided; but on the INFINITY, he was extremly intrusive. At times, he would walk into our suite without knocking. On the SOLSTICE, the butler was perfect and even served us dinner in our room on formal nights (we dont "dress up" on vacation)

We enjoyed our cruises with Celebrity...but they just built up our expectations so high, and became unable to deliver. After 3 cruises, we just felt our money would be better spent elsewhere.

Folks on this board are constantly raving about the suites treatment on NCL. I haven't had the chance to find out myself.

I have had the AFT wrap suite on Carnival, and except for the gorgeous balcony can tell you that Carnival has absolutely no suite perks at all, except priority check in and boarding. And on my last Carnival cruise, they didn't even give us that.

OTOH, I'd take that Carnival AFT Wrap over a butler and breakfast at Cagney's any day.

Just my two cents- if you're looking for one of the best deals in suites, the SJ suite (family suite, no balcony) on the Star/Dawn is at the top of my list. The SG w/ balcony is a close second.

We were in a SG Suite with Balcony this pas December on Star. We boarded early and as we were going to drop off our carry ons, a TA group were going around touring cabins, and were just leaving ours when we got there. So we dropped our bags and tagged along with them. Next to our cabin was a SJ Suite (no balcony). The space was really more usable and open compared to our Suite.....a better Suite than our because of the layout. But we wanted a balcony, and our balcony was really nice and roomy. Our Suite was great with a fabulous Bathroom.

We also cruise RCL in Suites on Voyager and Freedom Class ships. I would definitely say, comparing the 2 lines, NCL does a better job with their Suite guests.

We've been fortunate to sail in suites on NCL, RCI, DCL, Celebrity, and Seabourn. NCL wins hands down.

The suite perks on NCL are tops. The division of labor between the butlers and concierges provides more attentive service. Cagneys is a welcome choice for breakfast and lunch. It all just works plus, NCL's suites have in-room espresso machines and other creature comforts that put it over the top.

We found the butlers on Celebrity lacking. We sailed in the Penthouse on the Solstice and received sub-par service (breakfast brought over 30 minutes late several times, evening treats skipped, etc). Seabourn was okay, but nothing great. It took 2 hours to get a BLT one night -- no apology or explanation. Little things like that shouldnt happen on a luxury cruise line. There was nothing special about Royal's suite perks. Disney would be a close second in service to NCL. The concierge is attentive and the lounge and sundeck on the Dream is nice. Of course, all of this is only my opinion, but after 25+ cruises, I feel I've had some experience.

If you'd like to see pictures of some suites, click on the link in my signature.

I know the terms are different, but we have booked a Penthouse on the Sky, it is a Category SF, stateroom 9202. It seemed small in the description, or would this be called a Suite?

The very first ship we sailed about 9 years ago was on the Sky, so we decided to try her again, in a larger cabin.

Thanks for any information.

Wolf

We think the best suite perks are on NCL followed by Holland America, theirs are worth paying the extra money for a suite! On Carnival you get a bigger better cabin but no perks really. Princess is about the same as Carnival, not many perks.

We love NCL suites, but for less money, Celebrity has Aqua Class cabins with the perks of concierge class plus the added benefit of eating breakfast and dinner in a small exclusive restaurant called Blu. Some of the cabins aren't in the best location (under pool), so you have to choose early. This would be on Solstice class ships.The cabins are not large like NCL suites and you will not get a butler or concierge (some were not good anyway on NCL) and there is no private place like the Haven, but on a port intensive cruises that we take, eating in Blu is better than Cagneys because it includes dinner and there is an adult only pool with a cover!

I know the terms are different, but we have booked a Penthouse on the Sky, it is a Category SF, stateroom 9202. It seemed small in the description, or would this be called a Suite?

The very first ship we sailed about 9 years ago was on the Sky, so we decided to try her again, in a larger cabin.

Thanks for any information.

Wolf

Yes, a penthouse cabin is a suite. We have not been on the Sky (although we were almost tempted by the low rates for an early-February sailing), but twice we have had forward-facing suites on the Jewel and they were great cabins with great balconies and other amenities.

Well, of course, you're asking this question on the NCL board, so most of the answers you'll get here will be "Yes."

We've sailed constantly in suites on NCL, and love the space, perks, and luxury. But since I've never sailed in suites on any other line, I wouldn't presume to be able to give you comparisons. I'm sure every cruise line provides luxury and comfort and perks in their suites.

I did a lot of reasearch on this. With regard to mainstream lines NCL does the best with suite perks. Independent sources such as Frommer's agrees. Other mainstream lines run the gamut, such as Celebrity has some nice perks with their concierge class and Carnival on the other hand has very few, VIP embarkation is about it, aside from a larger cabin.

I have also spoken with many friends who have cruised suite on other lines. Even though some prefer other lines just for the sake of their product, no one has had the long list of perks NCL does.

Guess that's why so many of us on the NCL board agree, since we are still with them and have not "jumped ship" so to speak.

If you search around, someone did a comparison of all the suites and NCL ranks near the top, if not at the top, for mainstream cruise lines. I've only sailed on NCL, but I'm hooked on the suite life! I'd rather cruise every year or two in a suite, than frequently in an inside room. I love the ship within a ship feeling of the Haven.

I agree with you. That's what I like about NCL. Many feel the opposite and NCL appeals to all of us. I like the "ala carte" style that others call "nicke and diming".

I have sailed suites on 4 lines.

I Pick Holland America (we are 30 & 31).

Only on the ships Eurodam & Ms Nieuw Amsterdam.

For these reasons:

1. Suites have great Jacuzzi tub and separate showers.

2. You can bring as much wine and champagne as you want with no corkage fee

3. Retreat Cabana'

lots of perks, one of the biggest reasons we sail HAL.

4. Lido Cabanas with day beds (amazing) lots of perks

5. Tamarind specialty Rest. (Pan Asian, similar to PF Changs but with sushi option ($15 dinner, free lunch)

6. Canaletto free Italian specialty rest

7. You can order liquor for your room before boarding at a very reasonable cost. Example, 1.7 ml bottle of stoli vodka $27.99 with 3 sodas. You can bring on as many non alc beverages as you want. You can have a full bar for a very low price.

8. Mid sized ship w 2 pools, one aft and one lido with a retractable cover. Helps alot in bad weather. Low amount of kids. Lots of people our age on those two ships.

I suggest 2 types that are deluxe suites (only deluxe have these perks)

1. SC corner aft (average $2199 per person 7 day eastern Caribbean. I have booked as low as $1699 PP. Huge corner wrap around aft balcony.

2. Penthouse. Rate is almost always $4399 PP and there is a huge Jacuzzi tub in bathroom large shower, butlers pantry, and large round Jacuzzi on balcony.

Perks: (these are what interest me, but there are many more)

1. Concierge lounge so you never have to go to front desk.

2. Afternoon Tea & Appitizers delivered every day

3. Suite only breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill

4. Suite cocktail parties

5. Concierge will set up cocktail parties in your cabin, apps & invites free of charge

6. Snacks all day in concierge lounge, specialty coffees etc.

7. Unlimited laundry and dry cleaning!!!

8. Course by Course room service with white linens and china set up through your concierge (FREE) princess charges for this. You can do breakfast or dinner this way on your very large balcony.

9. DVD player in every room and TONS maybe 3,000 DVD to choose from for free.

We are sailing a Deluxe Owners Suite on Epic-

but will miss these perks and reasons for sailing the Eurodam.

Archived