Comparing Cruise Lines - Holland America vs NCL

patatie

We are considering doing a 14 night Caribbean cruise over the 2012 Christmas/New Year period. The cruises we are either with NCL Jewel, or Holland America (Westerdam, Niew Amsterdam, Ryndam or Eurodam). We're in the process of deciding which cruise line to go with.

We have, in the past, cruised with Holland America (out of Australia around the Pacific Islands), Princess, P&O Australia and Costa. We liked Princess (back in 2008) and Holland America best.

From what I have read, the main differences I can see are price (around $1000 difference or thereabouts for a cruise of the same length), and the fact that NCL offers freestyle dining.

Can anyone tell me what other major differences there are between these ships/lines? Which would you recommend to cruise around the Caribbean, and why?

In terms of the itinerary, we are not too picky of the specific ports - the Caribbean is an area we haven't yet travelled to (we're from Australia)...though the bonus of the NCL cruise is that it covers both Eastern and Western Caribbean. Basically, the ports are not really going to make/break our decision (unless for some reason one is amazingly better than another).

Oh, also I know Holland America offers religious services - does anyone know if NCL also offer services for Christmas?

Thanks for any information/opinions etc!

I should add that we're a family of 4, all adults.

You're going to get a lot of personal opinion here, but I feel HAL and NCL are on the opposite end of the cruising spectrum. Basically no dress code on NCL while you'll still have formal nights. It's anything goes in terms of dress on NCL. I also feel the food and service on NCL is way below that on HAL. NCL also attracts lots of kids.

They are definitely night and day in ambiance and atmosphere. NCL is very casual, HAL, formal. NCL generally has a broad based passenger demographic, but with a higher percentage of young passengers, HAL's passenger demographic is heavily weighted to older passengers and senior citizens with relatively few children (although on a Christmas/New Years Caribbean cruise there will be more children on HAL than usual). HAL's main dining room food is probably a bit better, but NCL offers a wide array of specialty restaurants for a small surcharge. NCL's entertainment is better and livelier than HAL's.

Just to give you an idea...we're what I would call ""young senior citizens"...in our mid 60's...and we prefer NCL to HAL because we like the informal atmosphere and the livelier vibe on the ships.

The decision boils down to what you're looking for, rather than any absolute judgments of "better" or "worse".

NCL......:eek::eek::eek:...

Surely you meant :):):) and your typing finger slipped...

Seriously, posts like yours are a waste of everyone's time. Why not do something useful and tell the OP why you prefer HAL to NCL...and base it on your personal experiences on both lines, just like others have and surely more posters will.

Surely you meant :):):) and your typing finger slipped...

I have to agree with njhorseman and the comparision is accurate but IN MY OPINION I will NEVER sail with NCL again. Just the mention puts a chill down my spine. HAL is a much classier outfit. Great way to get into cruising.

Thanks again for bringing that "slip" to my notice.:D Love those Jersey tomatoes

If you're looking at Fall of 2012, be aware that the Jewel is being swapped for the Pearl for the Caribbean itineraries. The Pearl is a newer ship with more amenities. :)

My personal preference is NCL, because I prefer the cabin choices on NCL. I also can choose what I feel like eating that night and go to that restaurant, instead of a more narrow set of choices on the HAL ships. I also don't care to lug the tux any more.

This is not my opinion, but my mother's experience, who just sailed on the Eurodam: the service is lacking on HAL. For example, she ordered alcohol and a bucket of beers for the sailaway. She did get both, but she was missing a bottle opener. When she requested one from her steward, he told her to get get one herself from a bar. :eek: She found herself clearing tables in the buffet later, and various other instances where service did not match her experience on her previous HAL cruise to Alaska.

In contrast, I have had extraordinary service on NCL, on both my cruises (one was on the Pearl, which you are contemplating). For example, I've had a concierge on the NCL Spirit get the health center opened for my child to get checked out within minutes of a phone call to her. She then arranged for our transfer to the ER in Cozumel--even going so far as to accompany us to a taxi with directions and a call ahead to the ER to arrange the pediatrician to be waiting for us there. Upon our return from the ER, we tried tempting our child to eat by taking her for sushi. Upon hearing about her allergy to shellfish, the two chefs stated that one side of their station was going to be allocated to make salmon sushi just for her, until she said stop. They even made her "candy" sushi to try and get her eating! Those three people made a reeeeeally bad day a wonderful memory with their thoughtfulness. :) I always end up writing a full handful of comment cards about wonderful staff members on our NCL cruises. :)

In contrast, I would almost bet that the HAL cruises have better food in the MDR and buffets. I have never seen so many green olives in weird places (like on top of mashed potatoes??? and on jasmine rice??) as on my NCL Spirit cruise. The strangest moment for us was the ramen noodles in the chicken noodle soup, though. In addition, the NCL chefs have a truly abnormal obsession with gelatin; most of the desserts have a jello base. With regards to HAL, IRL_Joanie has a thread on the HAL board here with HAL recipes. They seem quite tasty!

As with all things, your mileage may vary. I hope whichever cruise line you choose garners you the trip of your dreams!

Thankyou all for your input - I will relay this info to my family!

When saying that NCL has a younger crowd, how young do you mean - 20s, 30s, 40s?

Also does NCL have live bands for dancing in the evenings (ballroom, Latin American etc)?

Thanks again!

Both HAL and NCL have live bands for dancing. At Christmas, you can expect all ages on both lines, but NCL will have MANY more kids. I would venture to gess that you might see 700 or more kids on board. My TA just did a holiday cruise and reported over 900 kids.

Oh, and BTW, you don't need a tux on HAL. Very few wear them on the mass market lines anymore, except for Cunard.

we have been on both, while i noticed an older crowd on holland america, as far as service, i liked HAL. better than NCL,

the freestyle dining kinda irritated me, food wasnt as good, we would end up eating at the buffet every night since all the resturants were booked,or there was a wait, etc etc and it was really hard with our daughter and my elderly mother,,

thats just my opinon though

the longer cruises tend to have the older crowds that I noticed,

so I think either way the age range might be the same,

depends on the food thing i guess

not sure if NCL has changed we last sailed in 2006 on them

we have been on both, while i noticed an older crowd on holland america, as far as service, i liked HAL. better than NCL,

the freestyle dining kinda irritated me, food wasnt as good, we would end up eating at the buffet every night since all the resturants were booked,or there was a wait, etc etc and it was really hard with our daughter and my elderly mother,,

thats just my opinon though

the longer cruises tend to have the older crowds that I noticed,

so I think either way the age range might be the same,

depends on the food thing i guess

not sure if NCL has changed we last sailed in 2006 on them

NCL is under different management now than it was in 2006, and in my opinion the food is better now than it was then.

Archived