Princess in Mazatlan?

kath00

Manzanillo is beautiful! It's quaint, and the REAL Mexico! If you do nothing else, at least walk around the town. You'll see authentic things there you would never see in any of the other major port towns. Wasn't this where Morgan Freeman's character from The Shawshank Redemption (forgot the name) retired after he escaped prison?

I just read in that post that the NCL Star will be coming back to the MR. While it's great news that there is another choice of cruise line available out of California, why are they sending the Star back instead of a different ship? And for that matter, why don't the cruise lines put a variety of ships each year doing the same routes? Princess (and NCL and other lines) bring a bunch of different ships up the west coast each year for the Alaska season. Why can't they provide more variety of ships for the same routes? The Splendor, Sapphire, Oosterdam, and NCL Star have been based our of California for years. Whey can't they mix up the ships a little more? (I know the Oosterdam is supposed to leave I believe).

I understand there really isn't much of a market here, and that one ship per line is all they will offer, but it would be nice to have a different ship each year from each line.

You have answered your own question.

Cruise lines are not charities. Our investors strangely insist on getting a return for their money.

It costs big money to burn thousands of tons of fuel to move ships around to different itineraries.

Cruises departing from Southern California have some of the lowest onboard spending compared to other itineraries.

At the same time, California has become the most expensive area for the cruise lines to cruise to and from.

We just cannot make a profit sailing from a California port.

A few years from now, there won't be any cruise ships sailing regularly from California ports.

Enjoy it while you can..................

• 5 months later...

I actually phoned Holland America to see if Mazatlan was really on the itinerary. They said Yes and that it was safe where the ship goes. So I wouldn't be surprised is Carnival and others follow suit. They have to compete with the rest of the cruiselines.:confused:

I actually phoned Holland America to see if Mazatlan was really on the itinerary. They said Yes and that it was safe where the ship goes. So I wouldn't be surprised is Carnival and others follow suit. They have to compete with the rest of the cruiselines.:confused:

I doubt it.

Thanks for the information. I am inclined to agree with you if things remain quiet in Mazatlan and they demonstrate to the cruise lines that they have taken measures to minimize risk, then sure the other lines will follow, it is very popular port with cruisers.:)

I know this was kind of an old thread...but my cruise on Princess to Mexico in December 2013 does not show Mazatlan...

12/22/13 LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA View Details

SUN12/22/13 LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA DEPART 4:00PM SHIP @ PORT OF SAN PEDRO

MON12/23/13 AT SEA

TUE12/24/13 AT SEA

12/25/13 PUERTO VALLARTA, MEXICO ARRIVE 8:00AM DEPART 4:00PM

12/26/13 CABO SAN LUCAS, MEXICO ARRIVE 8:00AM DEPART 5:00PM TENDER REQUIRED

FRI12/27/13 AT SEA

12/28/13 ENSENADA, MEXICO ARRIVE 12:00PM DEPART 7:00PM

12/29/13 LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA ARRIVE 7:00AM SHIP @ PORT OF SAN PEDRO

SUN12/29/13 LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA View Details

I know this was kind of an old thread...but my cruise on Princess to Mexico in December 2013 does not show Mazatlan...

MON12/23/13 AT SEA

TUE12/24/13 AT SEA

FRI12/27/13 AT SEA

Its been eliminated for the foreseeable future. ;)

My Sapphire Princess itiniary had Mazatlan on it for Thanksgiving until recently, when they substituted Ensenada. Blech...

At least Carnival is doing 2 Cabo days still instead. But neither line is going to Mazatlan...

Unfortunately, I think it will be along time before Princess returns to Mazatlan. I think two days in Puerto Vallarta or Cabo is a decent exchange but to exchange Mazatlan for Ensenada is not too great.:(

MON12/23/13 AT SEA

TUE12/24/13 AT SEA

FRI12/27/13 AT SEA

I know Princess does not have it on theirs but Holland America and NCL does. So I don't know whats going on.:confused:

We are booked on the Sapphire for March 2013 and about a month ago we got an email saying they are going to Ensenada instead of Mazatlan. :mad:

I was reading on cc that quite a few were canceling their cruise because of this and last week I was checking my price on the cruise and it dropped $600 bucks.

I don't know if that had anything to do with the price drop.

I would rather have 2 days in PV or Cabo than got to Ensenada, we will just stay on the ship.

I don't think the ships will be returning to Mazatlan.

I recently received an email regarding an itinerary change for my cruise on the Grand Princess next year. Mazatlan was removed and we now have an overnight in Cabo. There are a few questions I have related to the change. For instance , I know that Cabo is a tender port. Will they run tenders throughout the night? Could I do the ultimate balcony dinner while we are docked in Cabo? I am hoping to make the best of the change.

I know that Cabo is a tender port. Will they run tenders throughout the night? Could I do the ultimate balcony dinner while we are docked in Cabo? I am hoping to make the best of the change.

It is my understanding from posts on cruise critic (maybe you could do a search) that the tendering does stop at some point and then resumes after daylight.

The UBD should be available, but since others may have the same idea, I suggest you book it soon after embarkation.

On our last 2 cruises (Sapphire and Disney), the ship pulled out at night and cruised around until around 7 or 8 am the next day. Then they started the tenders up in the morning again...

Kath

I know Princess does not have it on theirs but Holland America and NCL does. So I don't know whats going on.:confused:

Perhaps they are hopeful things will improve in Mazatlan. There are still travel warnings for the Sinaloa district of Mexico in which Mazatlan is a part. I think they will keep a watchful eye and when the cruises get closer decide whether or not they will go to Mazatlan.

I recently received an email regarding an itinerary change for my cruise on the Grand Princess next year. Mazatlan was removed and we now have an overnight in Cabo. There are a few questions I have related to the change. For instance , I know that Cabo is a tender port. Will they run tenders throughout the night? Could I do the ultimate balcony dinner while we are docked in Cabo? I am hoping to make the best of the change.

My experience with this a year ago on the Sapphire Princess is that the tenders ran until 11pm on the first day in Cabo. We stayed anchored and did not go out and sail around that night. I can't imagine that you can't do the UBD the first night. I would think this might be a great revenue generator in ports that are overnight stays. You could call Princess or ask your travel agent and see if they know.

Nice to hear you are making the best of the change. My niece and I did that in May 2011. We did a snorkeling tour the first day and the second day we hung out with some friends we met onboard at Cabo Wabo for a few hours, walked around to do some shopping, and then had lunch along the walkway that leads back to the tender location. We actually enjoyed it as on our previous Princess cruises we were in Cabo for just one day and had to tender back to the ship by 1pm.

On our last 2 cruises (Sapphire and Disney), the ship pulled out at night and cruised around until around 7 or 8 am the next day. Then they started the tenders up in the morning again...

Kath

I would imagine that they are waiting to see what happens in regards to travel warnings to the state of Sinaloa in which Mazatlan is a part of.

My niece and I cruised on the Sapphire in May of 2011 and had two nights in Cabo. The tenders ran until 11pm on the first day. We did not go out to sea at night but stayed anchored. I'm happy to hear you are making the best of the situation. My niece and I did a snorkeling trip the first day and then ate in town. On the second day we met some friends we had met on the cruise at Cabo Wabo for some drinks, did some shopping, and then ate lunch at Solomon's Landing before boarding the ship. It was actually quite nice as the previous cruises we had done to Cabo we had to get to the tenders by 1pm so didn't have alot of time in Cabo. I'm sure you will enjoy your time there.:)

Perhaps they are hopeful things will improve in Mazatlan. There are still travel warnings for the Sinaloa district of Mexico in which Mazatlan is a part. I think they will keep a watchful eye and when the cruises get closer decide whether or not they will go to Mazatlan.

Don't count on it, with the old corrupt govt coming back into power now it will only get worse. :(

If they do eventually add Mazaltan back on, I wonder if the prices will go up? Also if things keep getting worse in Mexico, maybe they won't even have a Mexican Riveria Cruise. What does everyone think?:confused:

Archived