Smoking Cruisers - Consider Vaping!

Kmkub

Interesting. I googled and could not find a single instance of someone being allergic to any water vapor, let alone e-cigarette water vapor specifically.

I have heard of people being allergic to water before. *shrugs*

I'm not saying she's not allergic to water vapor, but it has to be an extreme minority situation.

I've posted about this before-- don't know why Google wouldn't have picked it up. If it missed this, maybe it missed other such reports.

Could be there's something dissolved in the water vapor that caused her reaction. Maybe the e-cig was not working properly and nicotine was being emitted when it normally would not. Maybe there's a small amount of nicotine that naturally is emitted along with the water vapor. Maybe it was someone else wearing clothes saturated with cigarette smoke, but she can usually "sniff out" those situations. She's not allergic to water vapor, but is extraordinarily sensitive to tobacco smoke, so, yes, it is a minority situation. I wasn't there and there's no way to prove it, but if you talk to her, she's convinced that it had to be the e-cig that caused her reaction. I'm simply passing along her story of what occurred, so if anyone claims that there is no evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, of someone else being affected by vaping-- well, there is now.

I'm not willing to risk breathing (second hand) something that has not yet been proven safe.

I do not think it should be permitted in non-smoking areas until such time as health authorities assure us it is safe.

I do not think that has yet been proven.

Well, as you know, life has been proven to be 100% fatal! :D

Very interesting thread. DH and I are smokers and know we need to quit. We did try a procedure, several years ago, that showed some promise for me, but a total waste for DH. I think I will check into these as an alternative. I can understand how they are mistaken for real ones, I was shocked to see smoking in the mall! He was the live demo guy. :D Thanks for sharing.

You vape in bed? IMO, sounds like you've perhaps given up one habit for another?

This made me lol. :D Nah... we're still kinda newlyweds and still goo-goo eyed over each other. It saves me from getting up and going outside in the middle of the night, though, now. (And it has dramatically reduced that as well... used to be almost every night, now it's about once a week, so it helps in many ways.)

Very interesting thread. DH and I are smokers and know we need to quit. We did try a procedure, several years ago, that showed some promise for me, but a total waste for DH. I think I will check into these as an alternative. I can understand how they are mistaken for real ones, I was shocked to see smoking in the mall! He was the live demo guy. :D Thanks for sharing.

Just do some research. I doubt those mall versions are any good. Nothing you buy at 7-11 will convince you of anything. Seriously, head over to the forum for e-cigs and do some reading. (And try not to make your head go all splody and stuff.)

Take your time... most vendors will have you your stuff in a couple of days, so just read and if you get confused, ask. It is not as hard as it sounds, but it can be overwhelming at first; there's a boatload and then some of information.

Good luck!

I was hoping to see something from a respected organization of merit such as CDC, NIH, research universities.....

That site seems to be from the 'industry'.

The "intellicig" I vape was researched at Manchester and Salford Universities, and appears to be a result of that research. It is made in Lancashire, in the UK. That's good enough for me. :)

Jo.

• 3 weeks later...
Honest, I'm not trying to be one of "those" ex-smokers. I promise!

My brother-in-law and sister nagged at me for a year to try vaping before I was willing, so I understand the hesitation.

I've been vaping (e-cigarettes) since November and it's been amazing! It's like smoking, except there's no actual smoke (water vapor,) and there's not an extra 1,000~ish poisons in my nicotine.

On the Princess Ruby last week, I vaped everywhere except the MDR (seems rather tacky.) I got no complaints from staff or fellow passengers.

My husband lets me vape in the house, since there's no smell whatsoever.

It does work and it's much cheaper. It requires some research and homework, as the throwaways they sell at the convenience stores are junk and won't convince you about anything.

There are hundreds of flavors, too. My favorites are coffee, vanilla, brandy & chocolate hazelnut. Many vapers prefer the tobacco flavors and many others like the fruity flavors.

You can get a variety of nicotine strengths as well, anywhere from 0 - 36. I typically get 12 or 18.

My lungs feel better and I can smell & taste better now. (And, again, I feel like I haven't quit smoking.)

I spent twice as much in November on getting set up, but now that I'm set up, I'm spending (on average) about 75 cents - $1.25 for an equivalent pack of cigarettes.

I bring this up only because smoking on a cruise ship is getting more and more restricted. If someone you know has been on you about e-cigarettes, consider this one more yes vote!

I'm not here to sell anything, so I won't make any recommendations. Since you like forums, though, if you look for one related to e-cigarettes, you'll find hundreds and hundreds of opinions and plenty-o-information to ensure you don't waste money on junk.

At least, consider it. Once I started I never looked back. We are not addicted to smoke or the poisons in cigarettes, it's all about the action of smoking a cigarette, the throat hit, the exhale and the nicotine hit. (You get all of this with e-cigarettes.)

That's awesome that you've switched to e-cigs! The end of next month will be 3 years I've been using an e-cig and off real cigs. My doctor is amazed at the change in my lungs (after 41 years of smoking) since I began using e-cigs. He even goes so far as to recommend that his smoking patients get an e-cig.

I've used my e-cigs on my last 15 cruises with no problems. I have been known to use it in non-smoking areas, but not dining areas. Lately I've run into several other vapers on each cruise.

On the news today:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/electric-cigarette-explodes-fla-mans-face/story?id=15645605#.Tz0wV4d8Asc

Partial quote from the full article:

A Florida man is recovering at a local burn center after suffering severe injuries from an electric cigarette that exploded in his mouth.

Tom Holloway, 57, of Niceville, Fla., was smoking the e-cigarette Monday night when his wife heard an explosion from their study. She reportedly said it sounded like a firecracker had exploded in the house and she heard him scream, one of Holloway's neighbors told ABC News affiliate WCTI.

Chief Butch Parker of the North Bay Fire District responded to the call. He said a faulty battery inside the electric cigarette likely caused the accident. Parker described the explosion as if Holloway was holding a "bottle rocket in his mouth."

"I have never heard of or seen anything like this before," Parker told ABCNews.com.

Parker said there was no way to recognize the brand of e-cigarette Holloway was smoking, but the battery appeared to be rechargeable lithium because there was a recharging station in the study.

Holloway, a Vietnam veteran, photographer and father of three, reportedly stopped smoking two years ago and turned to e-cigarettes to kick the habit.

Parker said the explosion knocked out all Holloway's teeth and part of his tongue. The event also set fire to the room.

A Florida man is recovering at a local burn center after suffering severe injuries from an electric cigarette that exploded in his mouth.

It's important to note that this was a personally modified vaping device that was well over the generally accepted voltage for standard manufactured batteries.

My battery was built to specs in a factory. It's 3.5 volts.

His was something he built at home. It was 5 volts.

When people take risks and build their own devices, things like this will happen. Reminds me of Tim the Tool Man from Home Improvement.... lawn mower powered bathrooms and such.... :rolleyes:

I am a non-smoker (gave it up many years ago). It amazes me that non-smokers on this thread are still finding a way to criticize smokers that are going above and beyond to make things better for themselves and those around them. This is a serious addiction and, IMO, they deserve credit for switching to e-cigs -- not more bashing. If someones "vaping" truly is affecting you (as it was one person on this thread), let the person know. People who are "vaping" believe that they are not affecting anyone else.:)

My wife was a smoker for many years, until a lung infection during a cruise and a 3 night stay in a snake pit of a hospital in NY scared her.

She quit cold turkey, and is now vaping with an e-cigarette. We can now enjoy out Princess balcony and travel on AMTRAK

I got one of these last week, so far so good. Some people at work use them and I asked them a ton of questions. I have no plans to quit, but do want to cut down on the amount I smoke (2 packs a day). I used the e cig at work (12 hour shift) and smoke on my commute to and from work. It took me 3 days to empty a pack of cigarettes! I also don't have people bumming a cigarette. I did use it in a bridal store while waiting on 3 girls to decide on dresses for a wedding. The saleslady knew what the e cig was and allowed me to step into an alcove, out of view of other customers, but still be able to discuss the dresses with the bride. Now, others are asking me the questions and wanting to go this route. I like that I don't have to find an ashtray if I need both hands to do something, I just lay it down on the counter or stick it in my pocket.

As for the non smokers that gripe, they crack me up. There are so many things in this world that are going to effect our health. Apparently, smoking is going to wipe out civilization. The brown haze over urban areas and ingredients in processed foods, that we can't pronounce, aren't a threat. I don't plan on taking a well preserved body to the grave. My plan is to slide in sideways, beat up body, drink in one hand, smoke in the other, yelling, "What a ride!" Love that quote! So I will stay on the smoking side of the ship with my Cheetos, DOD and enjoy myself. The non smokers can stay on their side, making sure my cigarette smoke or smell doesn't cross the center line. Now, let the flaming begin! :D

• 1 year later...
Has CDC or NIH or any other reputable researchers determined the absolute safety of e-cigarettes to both the user and to those around them?

I'm not looking for 'lay opinions' but are there any published, reputable papers you can point me to?

Thanks.

Sail7seas,

Here is a link to a New York Times article that I thought laid out the general political, scientific and cultural context pretty well. It references studies, scientific opinions and the various contentious dymanics between the FDA, other organizations and some medical opinions.

Unfortunately for e-cigarette users and potential users, a sufficient number of studies have simply not been done yet. I look forward to more, since I am trying to quite smoking and have just gotten my first e-cigarettes to try.

I recently met a friend of a friend who showed me hers and told me about her planned "downsizing" of her nicotine fix over a period of time using her e-cig. First, she quit smoking "analogs"; now she is gradually reducing the amount of nicotine in the e-juice she uses in her device. You can reduce it all the way to 0.0%, at which point you would just be "vaping" delicious aromas like vanilla, toffee or blackberry.

Anyway, I am at the beginning of this quest. I wish that more experts would galvanize to support and stand behind e-cigs because I think the switch would mean many millions of lives saved. The studies need to be done. Personally, I blame Big Pharma for trying to thwart the e-cigarette movement--because it will cut into their profits, much as Big Tobacco has vehemently tried to squelch smoking cessation tools like Nicorette gum and patches. It's all about the bottom line for them.

From what I understand, the FDA trying to have e-cigs classified as "drug delivery devices," which does NOT help their image in the public eye, is also politically motivated. (I'm not sure what all the dynamics here are, but Kmkub is very knowledgable and perhaps has a word to say about that.) To me, that's sort of like terming my coffee mug a "drug delivery device." Which in some respects it is ... if you want to take things ab absurdum.

Honest, I'm not trying to be one of "those" ex-smokers. I promise!

My brother-in-law and sister nagged at me for a year to try vaping before I was willing, so I understand the hesitation.

I've been vaping (e-cigarettes) since November and it's been amazing! It's like smoking, except there's no actual smoke (water vapor,) and there's not an extra 1,000~ish poisons in my nicotine.

On the Princess Ruby last week, I vaped everywhere except the MDR (seems rather tacky.) I got no complaints from staff or fellow passengers.

My husband lets me vape in the house, since there's no smell whatsoever.

It does work and it's much cheaper. It requires some research and homework, as the throwaways they sell at the convenience stores are junk and won't convince you about anything.

There are hundreds of flavors, too. My favorites are coffee, vanilla, brandy & chocolate hazelnut. Many vapers prefer the tobacco flavors and many others like the fruity flavors.

You can get a variety of nicotine strengths as well, anywhere from 0 - 36. I typically get 12 or 18.

My lungs feel better and I can smell & taste better now. (And, again, I feel like I haven't quit smoking.)

I spent twice as much in November on getting set up, but now that I'm set up, I'm spending (on average) about 75 cents - $1.25 for an equivalent pack of cigarettes.

I bring this up only because smoking on a cruise ship is getting more and more restricted. If someone you know has been on you about e-cigarettes, consider this one more yes vote!

I'm not here to sell anything, so I won't make any recommendations. Since you like forums, though, if you look for one related to e-cigarettes, you'll find hundreds and hundreds of opinions and plenty-o-information to ensure you don't waste money on junk.

At least, consider it. Once I started I never looked back. We are not addicted to smoke or the poisons in cigarettes, it's all about the action of smoking a cigarette, the throat hit, the exhale and the nicotine hit. (You get all of this with e-cigarettes.)

Do they make them in Partagas, Romeo y Julietta, or Macanudo cigar flavors?

Archived