Trikes in Aruba

Csh2145

• 4 weeks later...
Have any wheelchair users done the trike tours before please?

Also any advice on if they would be suitable for a bigger person?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Great questions.

A wheel chair user probably could not - or would not be allowed - to drive the trike.

The seat behind is not very big. Wheel chair would have to stay behind probably.

A bigger person might be able to ride, but, as I mentioned, the seat is wide, but not very deep.

The owners (operators) of this fabulous adventure are kind and honest.

I think I would broach these questions to them.

They may have a weight limit.

You might have to list the weight of the person.

They may have rules about handicaps, but I don't know.

My husband drove and I am glad that I didn't have to. The tour takes you through town and out on open roads. It requires the ability to stay with the pack. The front vehicle rotates so that all vehicles experience front, middle and back of the pack. I think we had 5 vehicles in our group. They had an operator and companion in the lead at all times. (not included in the count of 5 trikes).

Take lots of sunscreen, hats won't stay on due to the wind - unless you tie them on & even then it might not work.

We applied sunscreen at each stop we made and I am glad we did.

Some folks came back with sunburns that looked like they would be painful.

Hope this helps.

Again, this was one of the most enjoyable tours we've ever done - on any island or port. We've done 30+ cruises, so it says a lot for this adventure.

Judy

Edited by Travel Junkie Judy

Hi Judy,

Thank you for your reply, and I am glad to hear that the tour lives up to what is advertised!

I have contacted Trikes Aruba and they could not have been more helpful. They are willing to put the wheelchairs in their tour guides vehicle meaning my brother and partner can partake in the majority of the sightseeing on the tour!

We are booked in now and cannot wait, just a small matter of 340+ days to go!!!

Hi Judy,

Thank you for your reply, and I am glad to hear that the tour lives up to what is advertised!

I have contacted Trikes Aruba and they could not have been more helpful. They are willing to put the wheelchairs in their tour guides vehicle meaning my brother and partner can partake in the majority of the sightseeing on the tour!

We are booked in now and cannot wait, just a small matter of 340+ days to go!!!

I'm not surprised that they were so helpful.

They could have easily said No.

They always fill their tours.

This just shows again how nice they are.

I'm sure the tour will be awesome.

Judy

Edited by Travel Junkie Judy

I just sent a reservation for the morning tour for next February. What should we do in the afternoon? Is there a swimming/snorkeling spot nearby?

To be honest, we ha so much fun with this tour that I don't remember what we did in the afternoon. We may have gone back to the ship, but I don't remember.

I'm fairly sure there is a beach not far from the port.

I would go to Aruba.com and see what they say. Probably a walk or a short cab ride to the beach. All islands have snorkeling, you just have to check the same sight or google "aruba beaches near cruise port" and then google "aruba snorkeling".

Good luck!

Judy

• 4 weeks later...
Is this realistic with a 4 year old? My husband and I have reservations along with our son, daughter in law and granddaughter, but I am questioning whether this will be too much for her. Any thoughts?

Did the folks that run this know you were bringing a 4 year old child?

I guess it would depend on the child.

I have one granddaughter who would have hated it when she was 4.

I have another that might have loved it.

I would worry about safety.

These are open motorcycles that have 3 wheels.

There were no children when we went - not even teens.

Judy

Is this realistic with a 4 year old? My husband and I have reservations along with our son, daughter in law and granddaughter, but I am questioning whether this will be too much for her. Any thoughts?

I believe that the trikes start out on the main roads before they get out to the rocky road areas. Here's my concern. I vacation in Aruba every year. I just got back from three weeks last Friday. We rented a car for just a day to do some touring on our own. The rest of the time, we walk or take a taxi or a bus. Drivers in Aruba (and other parts of the world, also) don't drive like we do here in the U.S. There are many accidents. We witnessed one while we were there, and were almost in one when a car suddenly decided to turn left while we were next to it in the left lane. I have friends who have been in accidents in Aruba. There is a tremendous amount of traffic all of the time, way too much for such a small island. Another problem is drunk driving. A lot of the drunk driving accidents happen during the daytime. Some of the young people (and maybe some of the older ones) party at night on the beaches and then drive home drunk during the day. They also spend a lot of time texting and talking on their cell phones while they drive. I'm not trying to single out Aruba on this. I'm sure that a lot of other places are the same way. There just hasn't been the push for driver safety that there has been here at home. I know some people who were drinking in a bar in Aruba. The bartender asked them if they wanted more refills. They told him that they were driving and they had had enough. He encouraged them to keep drinking, and told them that there were no laws about drunk driving in Aruba. It is just a different lifestyle. Sorry if this is coming off like a lecture, but I'm just relating what I know. I would also be concerned about a child that small sitting in the back on a trike for such a long time. They aren't very secure. Just my two cents :o

Edited by Hatteras51

I believe that the trikes start out on the main roads before they get out to the rocky road areas. Here's my concern. I vacation in Aruba every year. I just got back from three weeks last Friday. We rented a car for just a day to do some touring on our own. The rest of the time, we walk or take a taxi or a bus. Drivers in Aruba (and other parts of the world, also) don't drive like we do here in the U.S. There are many accidents. We witnessed one while we were there, and were almost in one when a car suddenly decided to turn left while we were next to it in the left lane. I have friends who have been in accidents in Aruba. There is a tremendous amount of traffic all of the time, way too much for such a small island. Another problem is drunk driving. A lot of the drunk driving accidents happen during the daytime. Some of the young people (and maybe some of the older ones) party at night on the beaches and then drive home drunk during the day. They also spend a lot of time texting and talking on their cell phones while they drive. I'm not trying to single out Aruba on this. I'm sure that a lot of other places are the same way. There just hasn't been the push for driver safety that there has been here at home. I know some people who were drinking in a bar in Aruba. The bartender asked them if they wanted more refills. They told him that they were driving and they had had enough. He encouraged them to keep drinking, and told them that there were no laws about drunk driving in Aruba. It is just a different lifestyle. Sorry if this is coming off like a lecture, but I'm just relating what I know. I would also be concerned about a child that small sitting in the back on a trike for such a long time. They aren't very secure. Just my two cents :o

Well said.

I totally agree.

After giving this more thought, I would not take a four year old.

The traffic and length of time would definitely worry me.

We loved it, but the sun is hot and I applied sun screen at every stop.

This might not be best for a small child.Their skin is usually even more prone to sunburn.

I'm not even sure they would enjoy it.

So now you have my 2 cents, so I guess that gives you 4 cents worth of advice.

Judy

• 3 weeks later...

We did this several weeks ago, for a couple of seventy year old's the wife and I had an absolute blast. Good tour around the island with a number of stops at scenic areas plus a stop at a grocery store for some liquid refreshment . Of the tours we have done over the years I would rate this # one for fun. Be sure to use sunscreen, as one who should know better I peeled two layers of skin from my forehead in the next week.

• 2 months later...

You guys are going to have a blast!! We did this last Thursday and it was awesome!!! We could have road all day long! The looks you get while you're going down the street are priceless!! I work in Marketing and I told the guys that riding down the road with a group is like a free advertisement. They were giving out business cards at the stops we made! We had one couple come up to us and ask if we could take their picture on the one we were riding! They took a business card.

• 2 weeks later...
We did the Trikes Aruba on Feb. 15. We had a fantastic time. Loved the tour! Worth every penny, one of the best tours we have done. They have 3 trikes, and 1 of them is a 3 seater. They are very professional. When we first met them, they explain how to drive the bikes, then take you for a short spin to get used to it. They have a little dune buggy that will guide you, and the 3 trikes follow. Went to the lighthouse, the church, along the north part of the island, then down to the southern part for 2 more stops. A fantastic time. Any questions, ask away!

Here is a picture of us on the trike.

Hello neighbor! I'm joining this thread 4 years after it starts, but the fact that this business is still going and gets good reviews is a good sign. I just booked for May of 2017. By the facebook page, it looks like they may have 5 trikes now. Back to reading!

Hello neighbor! I'm joining this thread 4 years after it starts, but the fact that this business is still going and gets good reviews is a good sign. I just booked for May of 2017. By the facebook page, it looks like they may have 5 trikes now. Back to reading!

They actually had six, but I think 3 were automatic. I didn't know it then, but I think I would have been a bit disappointed to have gotten one of the automatics.

And yes, it was every bit as fun as everyone on here says.

We did this tour a couple of years ago. It is a blast. It is true - you get HUGE looks. We had people stop and take pictures of us!!! On top of that you get to see quite a bit of the island. It is truly an adventure!

Note - this is the one excursion I didn't get the time right in all our cruises. Ship vs island. I don't know why... but they said we were late and they were waiting for us.?.? But the did wait!

• 1 month later...