New idea diet cruises

1948buddy

EVERY ship I have managed over the past 3 decades offered special healthy items and special healthy menus at one time or another.

All of them failed.

EVERYBODY wants to SEE the "Heart Healthy", "Spa Cuisine", "Low Calorie", "Lo-Carb" items offered.

Then they put that menu down, and order the chicken wings and double order of pasta with extra cheese instead.

Um, not everybody. Just because the broiled fish isn't under the "Healthy" choice of the day doesn't mean it isn't healthy. I sometimes tell them to hold the starch and order extra veggies instead. (Depending on the starch--some aren't all that bad for you and even if I do get the starch I only eat 1/4-1/3 of what's on my plate.)

I count calories every day, keeping track of everything I put in my mouth. It allows me to make choices--do I want a few bites of my husbands dessert or another glass of wine, because I've got 150 calories left and can't have both. After you keep track for a couple months, weighing and measuring everything, you can do a pretty good job of eyeballing sizes and knowing how many calories are in what.

By the way, one large dark chocolate dipped strawberry is 60 calories. It's very satisfying and the lesser of pretty much every evil when it comes to dessert. ;)

The wastage is absolutely disgusting! Can't understand the mentality of some people - "Oh well, I've paid for it, I may as well eat as much as I can".

No wonder our levels of obesity are increasing at a frightening rate!

I would love to take a cruise where they offer only healthy food - fresh juices, healthy smoothies, "clean" food, lots of nuts and fish and seafood and vegetarian and vegan alternatives - lol. DH and I might be the only ones on board!!!

Nicki

The last time we went to a "Midnite Chocolate" buffet, there was chocolate cake spilled all over the deck! No wonder it had turned into a flour fest rather than the art show it used to be.

You might not be the only ones on board, depends on the price. :p:rolleyes:

There are those of us who eat healty most of the time at home and our vacations are when we permit ourselves a few treats.

DH and I were reasonably slim our whole lives and eat a very healthy diet at home. We've gotten older and aren't as slim as we used to be but still eat very healthy at home.

When I'm on a ship, that is the rare time I might have a dish of ice cream or I might have a whole wheat roll with my dinner.

Is everyone watching what everyone else is eating? :(

I sure hope you can find something more interesting to do on your vacation.

I would love to take a cruise where they offer only healthy food

Nicki

And I would also love you to be able to do so.

However, I would imagine you would be quite lonely on such a cruise, as most people that cruise enjoy the not so healthy delicacies offered on such a vacation.

Not saying that I don't need a diet while being on a cruise, but I can see how some might like this option. However... For those of us that don't want to partake in super healthy eating while on a vacation and are being looked down upon by the so called Health Food Gods, honestly, and I say with all respect F it. Who cares what someone else is eating? It's their vacation, their life. It doesn't take being a rocket scientist to figure out that if you pig out both on and off a cruise, that you are going to gain weight and possibly have some not so nice health problems because of your choice to over indulge.

It kind of reminds of me of those Prius-type cars that pull up next to a Hummer and give the driver of the Hummer that look "I'm better than you because my vehicle is so environmentally friendly and your behemoth of a vehicle is killing our Mother Earth." Those who eat uber healthy can be like that. I personally know and are related to some extremely health conscious and athletic people who I thought were the perfect example of a fit, healthy person. Even they had strokes, heart attacks, diseases, etc that were just awful. Sometimes it comes down to genetics unfortunately and has nothing to do with caloric intake. I can only feel sad for those who count calories every meal or snack of every day of their life. I can't imagine limiting myself to what I could eat because I only have 150 calories left to use for the day -- even more so on a cruise. But that's just me.

That being said, if you want to diet on a cruise, go for it. Good for you. But please, don't look down on others who are going for their 3rd dessert. They could step off the ship at the end of the cruise and get hit by a bus. At least they had some delicious cheecake and lobster. Enjoy your cruise, however you see fit. Just be respectful of those around you -- and it goes both ways. Don't be a buffet horror and stack 3 plates of food up in a panic that the ship will run out of food.

As far as myself gaining weight on a cruise, maybe a pound or two, but being a woman of child bearing age, your weight fluctuates throughout the month so it really doesn't make much of a difference since I lose weight and gain it during any given month anyway.

It's not just about eating healthy, it's also about a healthy lifestyle. I can "buy" extra calories by spending more time exercising--it doesn't need to be at a gym, just walking at a fairly good clip for an hour "buys" a piece of cake. It also gets your metabolism going to make losing weight or keeping it off easier.

I'd rather do that then be overweight and have all the health concerns that go with that. Could I have a stroke? Sure. But I don't need to worry about obesity related diseases like high blood pressure, diabetes, breathing disorders, etc. (Unfortunately our government seems to think that I should pay the healthcare costs of those who choose to eat themselves to death.) I prefer healthy food, and frankly the thought of eating three desserts is vomit inducing to me.

Eating healthy doesn't mean eating twigs and berries, it means making smart choices. Do I sometimes indulge in chicken fingers or a chocolate shakes? Yes, but I make up for it with extra exercise or cutting back on calories over the next few days.

By the way, I drive a Prius and do look down on the people who drive ridiculous gas guzzler vehicles who cry poverty when it costs them $120 to fill the tank every week. I'd rather spend that every month and put the rest towards great vacations.

I'd also rather be a small size six than a 2X for more reasons than I can even begin to get into.

By the way, I drive a Prius and do look down on the people who drive ridiculous gas guzzler vehicles who cry poverty when it costs them $120 to fill the tank every week. I'd rather spend that every month and put the rest towards great vacations.

Like I said, to each their own - it's the judging that bothers me. Thank goodness you live in FL. I have many times a good to laugh as living in Alaska most of my life, when those that got drove Priuses ran off the road in a blizzard, it was those "gas-guzzlers" that got them out of the ditch :D

Like I said, to each their own - it's the judging that bothers me. Thank goodness you live in FL. I have many times a good to laugh as living in Alaska most of my life, when those that got drove Priuses ran off the road in a blizzard, it was those "gas-guzzlers" that got them out of the ditch :D

Not all SUV's are gas guzzlers. There's a happy medium for everything, same thing with eating healthy. Like I said, I don't do vegan, I don't eat bark and berries. But I think people who stuff their faces full until they look sick just because the food is "free" are gross.

It wasn't on a cruise, but in a hotel once my husband and I sat near a couple in the club level lounge that just didn't seem to fit in for a number of reasons. Long story short, they ate, and ate, and ate, and ate. Seriously, it was grotesque. They were at a table near us and we couldn't help but hearing the husband encouraging the wife to refill her plate several times "because it's free." By the time they left they both looked ready to vomit--their stomachs were actually distended from all the food.

That's the same type of mentality I see on cruises, eat even though you aren't hungry, just because the food is there and "you paid for it." I just don't understand eating when you aren't hungry.

By the way, I drive a Prius and do look down on the people who drive ridiculous gas guzzler vehicles who cry poverty when it costs them $120 to fill the tank every week.

I drive a big gas guzzling SUV. I own stock in oil companies. I have no problem paying $4 a gallon for gas.

And when it snows, I find that I have no problem getting around, until someone in a Prius decides that they should be on the road in inclement weather that they should not be on.

I can transport 8 comfortably and safely, well, untill someone in a Prius with an attitude of yours decides to do what Prius drivers do.

You can look down on me all you want.

And should your Prius run into my big gas guzzling SUV, I wish you luck.

That's the same type of mentality I see on cruises, eat even though you aren't hungry, just because the food is there and "you paid for it." I just don't understand eating when you aren't hungry.

Kind of like having sex when you are not looking to procreate.:rolleyes:

:eek:

Thanks for the giggles. I guess I'm just one of those people who works hard to save up the money to take a cruise after my husband is back from a 6-month deployment in the desert and will indulge in three desserts if I want. Whoopie too :) Can I say that on CC? :D

I just can't stand it when the food police, clothing police, booze police, etc -- you know the types, that state their way of cruising is better than everyone else and that they have some special right to look down on others who dont think or do the same things they approve of. But what people loose sight of its a vacation gosh darn it. Chill out! Enjoy your cruise, quit caring about what everyone else is eating and take care of yourself by enjoying your cruise the way you like it.

Johneeo -- I will enjoy driving my Jetta on the autobahn tomorrow when I go to work, all 120 glorious mph of it :D let's see a Prius do that :eek:

:eek:

I just can't stand it when the food police, clothing police, booze police, etc -- you know the types, that state their way of cruising is better than everyone else and that they have some special right to look down on others who dont think or do the same things they approve of. But what people loose sight of its a vacation gosh darn it. Chill out! Enjoy your cruise, quit caring about what everyone else is eating and take care of yourself by enjoying your cruise the way you like it.

Johneeo -- I will enjoy driving my Jetta on the autobahn tomorrow when I go to work, all 120 glorious mph of it :D let's see a Prius do that :eek:

People are entitled to their opinions.

The Prius owner can look down on me and make judgements about my gas guzzling SUV. The food police can look aghast at me when I order three appetizers and two full dinners.

Personally, I have better things to do than judge others. Too busy having fun.;)

And if that bothers people, it gives me a chuckle.:D

You may be surprised that the actual food cost per day/per pax is around $12 for mass market cruiselines. The vast majority of the fare you pay is for operation costs.

Well, that actually makes me feel a lot better!!! All this time, I've been convinced that we must be paying a fortune for food because people stack their plates so high. It's still a better deal for people who eat more, but that's what happens with all-you-can-eat.

One solution would be to offer three levels of dining in the MDR. Level one would be a lot of pastas, cheaper cuts of meat, etc. Level two would be in between, maybe sirloin instead of Porterhouse for example. Level three would be higher end fare. You are allowed to choose one appetizer, one entree, and one dessert from the menu at your level. "Extras" are allowed, but it would be like the school cafeteria, you pay an ala carte price.

When you book your cruise you would choose the level of dining you want (Cunard kind of doe sthis already with Queen's Grill) and pay your fare based on the level of dining you choose.

That way your costs could be predetermined but you could choose in advance how you'd like to eat. With the ridiculously large portions I've seen on cruises, I don't think anyone is going hungry.

This is like going to a dinner show at the Lido or Moulin Rouge in Paris. Your price for the dinner show is dependent on which of the three menus you choose.

No, not ALL of us do. Please don't make all encompassing statements like that. I'm not perfect, but I tend to eat low fat, organic, pesticide free, locally grown/farmed, high in good stuff (think blueberries and dark leafy greens), etc.

That doesn't change much when I cruise. Yes, I might have that bowl of pasta, bread and butter (that's one of my sins when cruising) or a dessert, but I don't go hog wild like I'm at a feeding trough just because the food is there.

I've never gained weight on a cruise.

What about those of us who DO eat healthy but are allergic to nuts and shellfish and have a sensitivity to soy?

I'm rather offended by your statement, as if you are the only one that eats healthy and you need to eat those foods to do so.

My hubby has a very healthy diet so he doesn't feel bad about having a steak on a cruise -- that'll probably be the only beef he'll eat in a year. And I don't eat as healthy as he does, except when he's around;). I am allergic to shellfish and have an intolerance to yogurt, so I understand the need to watch out for foods that will make you very sick or worse. A healthy diet and foods you need to stay away from for reasons other than fat/sugar, etc. can be two different things. I also need to stay away from spicy food because of acid reflux, and often people seem to equate fine dining with loading on the spices.

It's not just about eating healthy, it's also about a healthy lifestyle. I can "buy" extra calories by spending more time exercising--it doesn't need to be at a gym, just walking at a fairly good clip for an hour "buys" a piece of cake. It also gets your metabolism going to make losing weight or keeping it off easier.

I'd rather do that then be overweight and have all the health concerns that go with that. Could I have a stroke? Sure. But I don't need to worry about obesity related diseases like high blood pressure, diabetes, breathing disorders, etc. (Unfortunately our government seems to think that I should pay the healthcare costs of those who choose to eat themselves to death.) I prefer healthy food, and frankly the thought of eating three desserts is vomit inducing to me.

Eating healthy doesn't mean eating twigs and berries, it means making smart choices. Do I sometimes indulge in chicken fingers or a chocolate shakes? Yes, but I make up for it with extra exercise or cutting back on calories over the next few days.

I'd also rather be a small size six than a 2X for more reasons than I can even begin to get into.

Since we don't have to worry about snow here, except for very rare freak snowfalls (maybe once in 20 years and then I'll just stay home because I know I won't be the only one who doesn't know how to drive in that), we like having our sedans. We don't need to take out a loan to fill our tanks. The only disadvantage is if we're needing to transport a bunch of luggage (which is why we used a car service to take us to the port for our two-week cruises instead of driving the 50 miles). Didn't even have any problems with our weekly shopping trip -- but maybe because the three of us don't eat a lot.

i haven't read every post so...

go on easycruise if it hasn't been mentioned already. and i bet you won't save any money, it be less of a hassle, or get meals more sorted to your eating habits by eating in the ports.

I was surprised that it took 37 posts for someone to mention easycruise (I think you were the first to mention it). I remember seeing it listed on CC and decided to look at the website for the sake of curiosity. The cabins were teensy weensy, you had to pay for any food and anything else (even maid service). The ship would stay late every night in a port, and then travel in the early morning to the next port. No sea days. Didn't seem like my idea of a relaxing vacation. Wasn't surprised to hear it went out of business.

The food police? SeriouslY? Someone out there decides what the difference is between need and gluttony?

People are entitled to their opinions.

The Prius owner can look down on me and make judgements about my gas guzzling SUV. The food police can look aghast at me when I order three appetizers and two full dinners.

Personally, I have better things to do than judge others. Too busy having fun.;)

And if that bothers people, it gives me a chuckle.:D

I try eat in moderation. When I am hungry, I enjoy eating and really pay attention to how I feel. I stop when I am satisfied.

I walk like crazy on the ship and especially in ports. This usually results in weight loss after the cruise. Part of the fun of cruising is not having to worry about buying every meal. And, I like to try new foods which I might not if I had to consider the price of every item.

BTW, I am amazed at what some people can put away at the buffets. The overloaded, large oval platters are a real turnoff to me. I know it is judgemental on my part and I really work at not staring. But.....really, the amount of food consumed (and wasted, sometimes) is almost unbelievable.

I drive a big gas guzzling SUV. I own stock in oil companies. I have no problem paying $4 a gallon for gas.

And when it snows, I find that I have no problem getting around, until someone in a Prius decides that they should be on the road in inclement weather that they should not be on.

I can transport 8 comfortably and safely, well, untill someone in a Prius with an attitude of yours decides to do what Prius drivers do.

You can look down on me all you want.

And should your Prius run into my big gas guzzling SUV, I wish you luck.

Maybe you should learn to read. I said those who cry poverty when they have to fill their tank.

PS--I have no need to transport eight.

PPS--We've driven through blizzards in Canada in the Prius without incident. Saw a few SUV's who thought they were invincible plowed into snowbanks though.

I have said for some time I fully expect most cruise lines will go (sooner rather than later) to a la carte dining.

You want a hamburger, buy it.

You want a steak, buy it.

You want whatever........

I think they are struggling now with how to introduce it in a way they can make it sound like a good thing.

I don't think the average cruiser wants this option. Just look at how many people buy the soda package, when the numbers clearly say it's a rip-off. Cruisers want to know that they can have what they want, when they want it -- and no big bill at the end. It's one of the big reasons to cruise.

Also, it'd be so much more work for the crew. Add up the cost of this meal, put it on that person's card. Then at the end of the cruise it'd be a nightmare for the Customer Service desk: "I tell you, my son did not have a hamburger at 2:00 am on Tuesday night! Take it off my bill!"

You may be surprised that the actual food cost per day/per pax is around $12 for mass market cruiselines. The vast majority of the fare you pay is for operation costs.
I believe it. In college I briefly worked in a factory. I packaged the biggest bags of Doritos into boxes for shipping. At that point, the biggest bags sold for $1.99, and the cost of the product inside was three cents. The rest of the cost was packaging, people to produce/package/deliver the package, advertising, and profit.
The wastage is absolutely disgusting! Can't understand the mentality of some people - "Oh well, I've paid for it, I may as well eat as much as I can".
Maybe I'm just oblivious, but I just don't see a whole lot of that.

Or maybe people see what they're looking to see: I do remember that once I sat down at a table outside the Promenade Cafe with a BIG PLATE of assorted desserts, and a man came along and started berating me for taking so much . . . just then my four teens came along and sat down with me. They'd been picking up drinks and forks while I chose a selection of desserts, and the five of us started eating off the one plate, which suddenly looked rather small to be shared by five. He slumped away.

There are those of us who eat healty most of the time at home and our vacations are when we permit ourselves a few treats.
Tonight I'm having roasted chicken and a salad . . . and earlier today I did three miles on the eliptical and lifted weights as well. But today's a normal workday. On vacation, I'll treat myself.
Best line on this thread!

Maybe you should learn to read. I said those who cry poverty when they have to fill their tank.

OK, I will enroll in a reading class for dummies.

I think I read your statement correctly referencing "people who drive ridiculous gas guzzler vehicles".

What is your definition of ridiculous gas guzzler vehicles?

Or maybe people see what they're looking to see: I do remember that once I sat down at a table outside the Promenade Cafe with a BIG PLATE of assorted desserts, and a man came along and started berating me for taking so much . . . just then my four teens came along and sat down with me. They'd been picking up drinks and forks while I chose a selection of desserts, and the five of us started eating off the one plate, which suddenly looked rather small to be shared by five. He slumped away.

I've done this as well, except it was in the MDR. I ordered two desserts, my sister ordered two and my mom ordered two. They were all different and my dad joined in with us in eating all 6 of the desserts. It was fun to try all the different desserts by having a bite or two of each - that way we got to try 6 desserts without wasting anything and not eating 6 desserts per person either! Some of the portion sizes of the desserts were too big while others were much smaller, so it really depends on portion size and why some people will order more of something.

I still feel that it's a person's personal decision on what they'd like to eat, what activities they participate in, what they wear, what they drink or don't drink, etc. when they are on vacation. I think it's very rude to berate someone for something on their plate, and just as rude to point out how much better you are than most people for counting your calories, being thinner then they are, classier, having better manners, or whatever reason you can come up with. Being generally considerate of others is the most we can ask of each other, as in following the Golden Rule.

If everyone just minded themselves and enjoyed themselves on their vacation without paying attention to everyone else, I think people would have a generally happier vacation experience. Sure, there are going to be mean, gross, rude, crude, fill-in-the-blank, you-name-it kind of people. That's just part of being human. I just can't bring myself to look down people because for everything I could say about someone else, another person could come along and say the same about me. Besides, what good does that accomplish, even here on CC bashing other cruisers (fat, tall, short, skinny, old, young....etc)?

OK, I will enroll in a reading class for dummies.

I think I read your statement correctly referencing "people who drive ridiculous gas guzzler vehicles".

What is your definition of ridiculous gas guzzler vehicles?

Hummers are a good start.

I can't stand that people have to butt their nose into everyone else's plate.

I don't think there is a person here who would call what I eat excessive yet now I feel self-concious there are busybodies all around analyzing what is on someone else's plate. :eek:

This is a very upsetting thread IMO

I've been on more than 80 cruises, have been reasonably slim and a healthy BMI my whole life, developed some health issues and gained some weight in the last several years or so as I've aged.

To think someone is watching my hips and looking at what is in the salad I just took from the buffet sickens me.

Archived