New idea diet cruises

1948buddy

I noticed some post re: how much weight do you typically gain on an average cruise. I wonder if the cruise lines have ever considered a reduced price cruise where you buy your own meals? Now this would put the clamps on the weight problem, and no more feeling like, Oh no, is it time to eat again? One Carnival cruise we were had a pretty good CD. At the welcome aboard party he said, we want you to eat as much as you can!

I have said for some time I fully expect most cruise lines will go (sooner rather than later) to a la carte dining.

You want a hamburger, buy it.

You want a steak, buy it.

You want whatever........

I think they are struggling now with how to introduce it in a way they can make it sound like a good thing.

It will totally change cruising and well could chase many away.

Particularly in this economy, there are many families who want to know exactly what their vacation will cost. As long as they can eat what they want for no additional cost while aboard, they know how much their room and board costs. If they have to start budgeting, they will experience the stress of penny pinching on vacation and may as well stay home and penny pinch. As it is some (may have to ?) ration every dollar spent and lug their water, wine, sneak liquor..... They'll start sneaking food aboard, too.

If the economy were better and selling cabins not so hard now (in addition to the hit they'll take from the Concordia )tragedy, I think NCL would be trying that now.

IMO

Grrrr. More big brother stuff. Serving less fattening foods does not necessarily reduce the cost and in many cases increases the cost. Just today there was a report on a new FDA program (USA) to provide healthier "green" foods for school lunches and that healthier food will increase the cost by over 5 Billion Dollars in 5 years. We agree with the concept of "personal responsibility." We do understand that many folks no longer want to be reponsible for themselves or their children, but the concept of self responsibility has been around since the beginning of time. If you want to diet you can easily do that on any cruise line. We should add that when we started cruising (nearly forty years ago) we would gain about 1 pound a day on 7 day cruises. We now take much longer cruises (often over 30 days) and often lose weight because we keep pretty active and we have taken on the added "burden" of controlling our own diet!

Hank

Grrrr. More big brother stuff. Serving less fattening foods does not necessarily reduce the cost and in many cases increases the cost. Just today there was a report on a new FDA program (USA) to provide healthier "green" foods for school lunches and that healthier food will increase the cost by over 5 Billion Dollars in 5 years. We agree with the concept of "personal responsibility." We do understand that many folks no longer want to be reponsible for themselves or their children, but the concept of self responsibility has been around since the beginning of time. If you want to diet you can easily do that on any cruise line. We should add that when we started cruising (nearly forty years ago) we would gain about 1 pound a day on 7 day cruises. We now take much longer cruises (often over 30 days) and often lose weight because we keep pretty active and we have takien on the added "burden" of controlling our own diet!

Hank

Just five minutes ago, I listened to a new report about the new FDA program for healthier school lunches.

Funny you should mention it.

I noticed some post re: how much weight do you typically gain on an average cruise. I wonder if the cruise lines have ever considered a reduced price cruise where you buy your own meals? Now this would put the clamps on the weight problem, and no more feeling like, Oh no, is it time to eat again? One Carnival cruise we were had a pretty good CD. At the welcome aboard party he said, we want you to eat as much as you can!

Why not, right???

There are more and more people coming forward with food allergies and dietary issues and full threads covering Gluten and Low-Fat diets... So Why Not get the cruise lines to develop special menu's for folks with Gluten issues or other dietary requirements? They don't have to completely reconstruct their current menu, just restructure them with a few different choices other than Meat, Starch, Veggie. Not everything has to have rice, potatoes or pasta in it...

Instead of making a 'Special-Request' to the wait staff for double veggies and no potatoes, and HOPING they get it right. Why not make an Atkins selection every night such as a 3 Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast with Steamed Veggies and a salad. Or a Fish dish, or Steak and mushrooms. I don't know what the restrictions are for Gluten free meals but I am sure they can adjust ONE dish selection to give an option to guests.

I think the OP has a great idea that just needs some legs to get it rolling so that more cruisers diets can be accomdated without getting into the whole 'ala-cart' garbage...

Why not, right???

There are more and more people coming forward with food allergies and dietary issues and full threads covering Gluten and Low-Fat diets... So Why Not get the cruise lines to develop special menu's for folks with Gluten issues or other dietary requirements? They don't have to completely reconstruct their current menu, just restructure them with a few different choices other than Meat, Starch, Veggie. Not everything has to have rice, potatoes or pasta in it...

Instead of making a 'Special-Request' to the wait staff for double veggies and no potatoes, and HOPING they get it right. Why not make an Atkins selection every night such as a 3 Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast with Steamed Veggies and a salad. Or a Fish dish, or Steak and mushrooms. I don't know what the restrictions are for Gluten free meals but I am sure they can adjust ONE dish selection to give an option to guests.

I think the OP has a great idea that just needs some legs to get it rolling so that more cruisers diets can be accomdated without getting into the whole 'ala-cart' garbage...

Thank you for the comment. Really, all of us do need to eat more healthy than we do..It is a shame that we have such a problem in America. At home , we grow 80 % of our own vegetables, and really try to eat healthy as mush as we can, so why do we kill ourselves when we cruise? Maybe we need Jamie Oliver to come on board and put his 2 cents in,,We have found at home you can eat very healthy, and it can really taste good.

As a petite adult, I do feel rather ripped-off when it comes to food. I simply can not and will not eat as much as an average-size or over-size passenger... but we pay the same fare, no matter how much food we consume. Also, you could eat out at port without feeling like you wasted your money for a meal onboard that you didn't eat.

At the same time, it's nice to not have to worry about the cost of food onboard. And if I get something that I don't like, I can push it aside and not worry about wasting money on a particular dish because I can get a different one for no charge.

It's an interesting concept - however, I think if they introduced this, they wouldn't reduce the cruise fare by that much - and would overcharge for food because they know that they are the only option at sea.

As a petite adult, I do feel rather ripped-off when it comes to food. I simply can not and will not eat as much as an average-size or over-size passenger... but we pay the same fare, no matter how much food we consume. Also, you could eat out at port without feeling like you wasted your money for a meal onboard that you didn't eat.

At the same time, it's nice to not have to worry about the cost of food onboard. And if I get something that I don't like, I can push it aside and not worry about wasting money on a particular dish because I can get a different one for no charge.

It's an interesting concept - however, I think if they introduced this, they wouldn't reduce the cruise fare by that much - and would overcharge for food because they know that they are the only option at sea.

Yeah, they probably wouldn't pull up at the Dairy Queen for us..

.It is a shame that we have such a problem in America.

It is not only happening in America. In Australia, our figures showed we were quickly becoming the second largest nation in the world - not something to proud of!

Last year, we were lucky enough to travel on the Nieuw Amsterdam. DH and I are both extremely conscious of our diets and it was a pleasure to find a ship that offered healthier versions of breads and salads. They also had healthier crackers, wraps instead of white bread, and salads with ingredients for vegetarians and vegans. It isn't difficult to do, and cudos to HAL for it!

We also noticed numerous people attacking the salad bars with vigour and staying away from the fat laddened, deep fried unhealthy offerings!

The message is getting through to some people.

Not everybody goes cruising to eat as much as they can, whenever they can, just because the fare is all inclusive.

After all, do you eat to live or live to it???

Nicki

As a petite adult, I do feel rather ripped-off when it comes to food. I simply can not and will not eat as much as an average-size or over-size passenger... but we pay the same fare, no matter how much food we consume. .

You may be surprised that the actual food cost per day/per pax is around $12 for mass market cruiselines. The vast majority of the fare you pay is for operation costs.

If they started basing the fare on food consumed by each passenger, some people would be paying double that of an average adult. I've seen plenty of people taking a mountain of food in buffets, others ordering 2-3 main dishes in the dining room only to waste much of it.

It would be a great if people take only what they can reasonably eat, but when many are offered all they can eat they can't resist taking enormous amounts. It's a bit amusing to read people state they are going to eat "their money's worth".

If they started basing the fare on food consumed by each passenger, some people would be paying double that of an average adult. I've seen plenty of people taking a mountain of food in buffets, others ordering 2-3 main dishes in the dining room only to waste much of it.

The wastage is absolutely disgusting! Can't understand the mentality of some people - "Oh well, I've paid for it, I may as well eat as much as I can".

No wonder our levels of obesity are increasing at a frightening rate!

I would love to take a cruise where they offer only healthy food - fresh juices, healthy smoothies, "clean" food, lots of nuts and fish and seafood and vegetarian and vegan alternatives - lol. DH and I might be the only ones on board!!!

Nicki

Why not, right???

There are more and more people coming forward with food allergies and dietary issues and full threads covering Gluten and Low-Fat diets... So Why Not get the cruise lines to develop special menu's for folks with Gluten issues or other dietary requirements? ...

There are a lot of reasons.

1. increased costs

2. probably less than 1% of those on a cruise would be interested

3. for those that have special dietary needs, the ship will accomodate you

The wastage is absolutely disgusting! Can't understand the mentality of some people - "Oh well, I've paid for it, I may as well eat as much as I can".

I would love to take a cruise where they offer only healthy food - fresh juices, healthy smoothies, "clean" food, lots of nuts and fish and seafood and vegetarian and vegan alternatives - lol. DH and I might be the only ones on board!!!

Nicki

We would be with you

You may be surprised that the actual food cost per day/per pax is around $12 for mass market cruiselines. The vast majority of the fare you pay is for operation costs.

It would be a great if people take only what they can reasonably eat, but when many are offered all they can eat they can't resist taking enormous amounts. It's a bit amusing to read people state they are going to eat "their money's worth".

Like the sign in the military chow line, Take All You Want, but EAT All You Take

Why not, right???

I have a number of food allergies. Adjusting "one" dish might accommodate one thing but add something else I can't have. It's just not that easy.

Thank you for the comment. Really, all of us do need to eat more healthy than we do..It is a shame that we have such a problem in America. At home , we grow 80 % of our own vegetables, and really try to eat healthy as mush as we can, so why do we kill ourselves when we cruise? Maybe we need Jamie Oliver to come on board and put his 2 cents in,,We have found at home you can eat very healthy, and it can really taste good.

No, not ALL of us do. Please don't make all encompassing statements like that. I'm not perfect, but I tend to eat low fat, organic, pesticide free, locally grown/farmed, high in good stuff (think blueberries and dark leafy greens), etc.

That doesn't change much when I cruise. Yes, I might have that bowl of pasta, bread and butter (that's one of my sins when cruising) or a dessert, but I don't go hog wild like I'm at a feeding trough just because the food is there.

I've never gained weight on a cruise.

Nicki

What about those of us who DO eat healthy but are allergic to nuts and shellfish and have a sensitivity to soy?

I'm rather offended by your statement, as if you are the only one that eats healthy and you need to eat those foods to do so.

One solution would be to offer three levels of dining in the MDR. Level one would be a lot of pastas, cheaper cuts of meat, etc. Level two would be in between, maybe sirloin instead of Porterhouse for example. Level three would be higher end fare. You are allowed to choose one appetizer, one entree, and one dessert from the menu at your level. "Extras" are allowed, but it would be like the school cafeteria, you pay an ala carte price.

When you book your cruise you would choose the level of dining you want (Cunard kind of doe sthis already with Queen's Grill) and pay your fare based on the level of dining you choose.

That way your costs could be predetermined but you could choose in advance how you'd like to eat. With the ridiculously large portions I've seen on cruises, I don't think anyone is going hungry.

People that gain weight on a cruise would probably still gain weight even if they were charged for food. It is kind of like the drinks. They can be pretty pricey, but the costs doesn't stop those that drink a lot from purchasing a bunch of drinks.

Personally, I have never gained weight on a cruise and after stepping on on a scale after getting back from my cruise last week, I actually loss weight.

It's all about choices. I have never felt like, "Oh, no! It's time to eat again?" I eat when I am hungry and stay away from food when I am not. I don't need the cruiseline to charge me separately for food in order to control my eating habits.

The beauty about cruising is that there are choices for everyone. I have always found plenty healty options and not so healthy options on every cruise I have taken. The staff will also make accomodations for those that had special diet needs.

I personally like that fact that the majority of the food costs are already included in the cost of the fare. I'm the kind of person that likes to pay for pretty much everything upfront and spend very little onboard. One of the reasons why I cruise is because I don't have to worry about what to eat and how much that is going to cost me. If I had to start planning out the costs of meals and such, then depending on what the overall costs is and whether or not the itinerary was spectacular, I would definitely think twice about taking a cruise. If I had to start planning out meals and paying extra for it, it would start to get to a point that it is not too different than taking a land vacation (especially those cruises that have a lot of sea days and not many ports to see).

EVERY ship I have managed over the past 3 decades offered special healthy items and special healthy menus at one time or another.

All of them failed.

EVERYBODY wants to SEE the "Heart Healthy", "Spa Cuisine", "Low Calorie", "Lo-Carb" items offered.

Then they put that menu down, and order the chicken wings and double order of pasta with extra cheese instead.

Gawd,ain't that the truth..leave it to the gov't again to come up with some other stupid idea to police what we do so people don't have to be responsible and we can depend on them to make our decisions for us. The school lunch program could afford to serve healthy foods if they elminated half the kids who are on it who otherwise could afford it..and many of them can.

personal responsiblity...it makes too much sense..people won't do it..they should, though. In the end, you are the only one who controls what goes in your mouth and you are the one who controls if you gain weight or not.

Grrrr. More big brother stuff. Serving less fattening foods does not necessarily reduce the cost and in many cases increases the cost. Just today there was a report on a new FDA program (USA) to provide healthier "green" foods for school lunches and that healthier food will increase the cost by over 5 Billion Dollars in 5 years. We agree with the concept of "personal responsibility." We do understand that many folks no longer want to be reponsible for themselves or their children, but the concept of self responsibility has been around since the beginning of time. If you want to diet you can easily do that on any cruise line. We should add that when we started cruising (nearly forty years ago) we would gain about 1 pound a day on 7 day cruises. We now take much longer cruises (often over 30 days) and often lose weight because we keep pretty active and we have taken on the added "burden" of controlling our own diet!

Hank

Maybe it's just me, but I pretty much know what it costs my husband and I to eat per day, averaged out over a week, when we are on vacation. It doesn't matter where we go, our daily cost to eat seems to remain pretty consistent. I can take that number, multiply it by the number of days we'll be away from home, and 99% of the time be within a few dollars of that amount. It doesn't matter if we're cruising or traveling on land, it doesn't matter if we're in the US or anywhere else in the world, the number remains fairly consistent.

The only time it seems to change is if we rent a beach house and cook "at home" most of the days.

Archived