Shellac manicures on Equinox

asnaleah

OK, so now I know that I need to try Gel/Shellac nails BUT the closest Nails Indc to us is over 70 miles aways across country and, as our next cruise is at the end of December, I am not going to be able to guarantee getting their if the winter is bad. So, my next plan is to get my hails done in Fort Lauderdale in the three days we are there pre-cruise.

Sue

There are lots of salons offering gel manicures. Try googling the words "gel manicure" along with your zip code and you can probably find someone close to you.

I have to echo the cuticle oil tip. My manicurist said that using it daily is the best way to make your gel nails last. I'm only on my second gel manicure and I just love them. The price isn't that much more than a regular manicure but it lasts so long it's amazing.

I have to echo the cuticle oil tip. My manicurist said that using it daily is the best way to make your gel nails last. I'm only on my second gel manicure and I just love them. The price isn't that much more than a regular manicure but it lasts so long it's amazing.

I have been having gel manicures for about a year now but no one has ever mentioned using cuticle oil before. Do you just massage in on twice a day? I must say I have only ever had a nail come off once in all this time and my manicurist gives a two week guarantee so it wasn't a problem - unfortunately she's not cruising with me;)

Thanks for the tip about the oil:)

Sue

OK, so now I know that I need to try Gel/Shellac nails BUT the closest Nails Indc to us is over 70 miles aways across country and, as our next cruise is at the end of December, I am not going to be able to guarantee getting their if the winter is bad. So, my next plan is to get my hails done in Fort Lauderdale in the three days we are there pre-cruise.

Has anyone tried Harbor Nails, 1501 SE 17th Street, Fort Lauderdale. please? It is opposite the Holiday Inn Express. I found some good reviews on the Internet but a Cruise Critic recommendation is worth so much more.

And, thanks for the tip about oiling the nails.

Sue

When I thought I might need to use a salon in fort lauderdale the local ladies recommened the Harbor shops ,check out Trip advisor .

Gail

Edited by Reader0108598

Has anyone tried Harbor Nails, 1501 SE 17th Street, Fort Lauderdale. please? It is opposite the Holiday Inn Express. I found some good reviews on the Internet but a Cruise Critic recommendation is worth so much more.

And, thanks for the tip about oiling the nails.

Sue

When I thought I might need to use a salon in fort lauderdale the local ladies recommened the Harbor shops ,check out Trip advisor .

Gail

Agree with READER0108598, that TripAdvisor can be a great resource for these types of Questions (check out their FORT LAUDERDALE FORUM)...

TripAdvisor is the Sister-Website to Cruise Critic... everything that CC is to Cruising Info, TA is to General Travel Info...

I was looking for some specific items and a Restaurant Recommendation prior to my cruise, and we too were staying at the Holiday Inn Convention Centre, and they recomended several great shops along 17th and in the Harbour Shops... their info was dead-on... fabulous !!

Cheers!

• 2 years later...

I had to have a bad (from home salon) gel manicure removed & replaced whilst on the Equinox the last week of Feb. it was an expensive process, $86. That was $20 for the gel removal, $55 for the new French gel manicure + $11.86 for gratuity (automatically added). However, it is now the end of March & my nails still look fantastic! Yes I have a bit of growth at the base, but with a French manicure it isn't noticeable. I'm going to leave it to see how long it really will last!

Next year I plan to just have the French gel manicure done on the ship

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had to have a bad (from home salon) gel manicure removed & replaced whilst on the Equinox the last week of Feb. it was an expensive process, $86. That was $20 for the gel removal, $55 for the new French gel manicure + $11.86 for gratuity (automatically added). However, it is now the end of March & my nails still look fantastic! Yes I have a bit of growth at the base, but with a French manicure it isn't noticeable. I'm going to leave it to see how long it really will last!

Next year I plan to just have the French gel manicure done on the ship

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have had gel french manicure's constantly for the last 5 years. I worked as a Personal Banking Officer and after I started using gel my natural nails (thin, weak etc) were no longer in front of my clients. My nails have lasted 5 weeks while on a cruise because my manicurist gives me one of her files to keep the lengh in check and I take clear nail polish to touch up the growth. She would prefer me not to use the salon on the ship as she is afraid they will use acrylic instead of gel. I have never chipped or broken a nail in all that time but I never put colour on either. I would recommend gel nails for sure:)

I have had gel french manicure's constantly for the last 5 years. I worked as a Personal Banking Officer and after I started using gel my natural nails (thin, weak etc) were no longer in front of my clients. My nails have lasted 5 weeks while on a cruise because my manicurist gives me one of her files to keep the lengh in check and I take clear nail polish to touch up the growth. She would prefer me not to use the salon on the ship as she is afraid they will use acrylic instead of gel. I have never chipped or broken a nail in all that time but I never put colour on either. I would recommend gel nails for sure:)

I actually do my own gel nails at home because I could get nothing done well without driving miles. On my last cruise on Constellation, I just asked for the manicurist on board to use my own gel that I took with me. She was perfectly happy to do this and did a brilliant job. Wish I could get them done so well at home.

This is interesting. I have a question. I have something called Bio Gel on my nails and they usually last about 3 weeks. Next year I am going on a 4 week cruise, will be away for longer and need to find a solution for my nails. Having read this thread it seems a French Polish could be the answer.

My concern is that when I had a French Polish last year - it yellowed after several days from the chemicals that I used cleaning and washing pots. As, every time you get on and off the ship or go in to a dining venue it is required to use the alcohol rub - what effect will it have on my nails? Will it tinge the colour?

Thanks

This is interesting. I have a question. I have something called Bio Gel on my nails and they usually last about 3 weeks.....

My concern is that when I had a French Polish last year - it yellowed after several days from the chemicals that I used cleaning and washing pots. As, every time you get on and off the ship or go in to a dining venue it is required to use the alcohol rub - what effect will it have on my nails? Will it tinge the colour?

Thanks

My experience is with CND Shellac.... I only do a French and ask the operator to make the white deeper on the nail than the natural line than normal so as it grows out it still looks like new. Normally lasts 3 weeks no problem and no discolorations. I obsessively use hand sanitizer and it doesnt effect the color at all. I bring my own from Bath and Bodyworks, but it is alcohol based so the generic kind shouldnt discolor either. I do use oil regularly on the cuticles. Any oil will do. I actually use almond oil or walnut oil, not a specific manicure product. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Good morning Sue!

What gel product do you buy? I've seen some advertised but a recommendation would be great.

Thanks

Sue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sue

Gelcolor by OPI which I purchase from eBay and Amazon. I've tried cheaper makes but they are nowhere near as good.

If you would like more advice, post an email address and I will get back to you.

Sue

Gelcolor by OPI which I purchase from eBay and Amazon. I've tried cheaper makes but they are nowhere near as good.

If you would like more advice, post an email address and I will get back to you.

That's really kind, thanks! Email:

sue redland at hotmail dot com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk