Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

I'm just amazed with how well it went yesterday. I had read that they had expected much of the glass on the ship to shatter during the raising. Aside from the obvious damage (which happened before yesterday), it doesn't appear that much glass broke yesterday.

from an article on CNN.com: "The freezers that have not burst under the water pressure are still locked with their rotting thawed contents sealed inside. Fridges too, filled with milk, cheese, eggs and vegetables, have been closed tight since the disaster."

i wouldn't want to be the one to have to open one of those food lockers :eek:

On the upper structure the damage is clearly where Concordia was resting on the two outcrops of rock and her weight has collapsed the balconies, it will be interesting to see what if any damage there is to the hull below those points.

I read that the two missing people are believed to be either under of in a lifeboat that was trapped under the Starboard side of Concordia but nothin ghas been confirmed that i have seen.

Do you think they will strip as much as they can off the ship before floating it away? I mean things like the water slide and other removable items that are on the top decks.

Please remember this is still probably considered a crime scene. Once the investigation of the ship is concluded, I think it should be scraped in its entirety. To salvage and reuse any items would be ghoulish.

Please remember this is still probably considered a crime scene. Once the investigation of the ship is concluded, I think it should be scraped in its entirety. To salvage and reuse any items would be ghoulish.

I never implied for re-use! Of course not. I meant to lighten the load for floating out to a drydock.

It is almost certain that some fittings will be reused somewhere.

But apart from corrosion resistant parts and items that have a core value for rebuilding, it is scrap after that much time underwater with so many different metals.

Do you think they will strip as much as they can off the ship before floating it away? I mean things like the water slide and other removable items that are on the top decks.

The waterslide, masts, and most of the funnel were already removed before yesterday.

Hi MM

It certainly was an amazing day, tinged with the sadness over the people who lost their lives in the accident.

I know that at the start of yesterday we was on 111000 and so something like 17000 views and I have just looked and we had 348 posts and managed to fill 17 pages. Must be some kind of record for Cruise Critic.

What concerned me is that people were posting saying they was at work and were using our thread to follow the events, so no pressure then.

Moreover it was done without a hint of rancour which pleased me most.

Everyone shared their knowledge, comments, respect, opinions and ideas which for me made it a pleasure to spend the historic day with friends old and new.

Thank you once again to everyone.

Lets make a date to share the sailaway next year.

Best Wishes

Clive

Hi MM

It certainly was an amazing day, tinged with the sadness over the people who lost their lives in the accident.

I know that at the start of yesterday we was on 111000 and so something like 17000 views and I have just looked and we had 348 posts and managed to fill 17 pages. Must be some kind of record for Cruise Critic.

What concerned me is that people were posting saying they was at work and were using our thread to follow the events, so no pressure then.

Moreover it was done without a hint of rancour which pleased me most.

Everyone shared their knowledge, comments, respect, opinions and ideas which for me made it a pleasure to spend the historic day with friends old and new.

Thank you once again to everyone.

Lets make a date to share the sailaway next year.

Best Wishes

Clive

I agree, it has been a good journey. I didn't post a lot in the early days, but read twice to 3 times a day since the accident happened. Both threads. I am in the construction industry and have learned a lot. Some of the methods were similar. A lot more to come and back to reading reports and the slow web cam, but I for one am looking forward to see what is going to happen next.

I have read other threads which have appeared and people are guessing, where at least we have followed the process to the end.

Edited by bigeck

In a previous post I said that the damage appeared to be mostly limited to the overhanging balconies. But now that detailed images are available I can see that the crushed section closer to the bow was really really destroyed. The outside wall was displaced vertically the full height of one deck. I wonder who badly damaged is the hull in that area. All this is witness to the enourmous forces involved and the consequences of the stupidity of one person.

In a previous post I said that the damage appeared to be mostly limited to the overhanging balconies. But now that detailed images are available I can see that the crushed section closer to the bow was really really destroyed. The outside wall was displaced vertically the full height of one deck. I wonder who badly damaged is the hull in that area. All this is witness to the enourmous forces involved and the consequences of the stupidity of one person.

Keep in mind that below the main deck, the ship's structure is very solid. Above the main deck, the superstructure is very lightweight so that they can build it higher. The part that you can see now is lightweight and relatively fragile.

Either way, the ship is scrap metal at this point.

There's not much that can be salvaged but I'm sure that the breakers will reuse whatever can be reused. I doubt that the ship's fittings will come with a curse.