Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Good morning all.
Thanks for that Sid, Giglio news also reports the press conference tomorrow. If I understand the translation properly it does seem to suggest that there will be news about the final destination. It also says that the time scale has been put back to 31st July.

I am not surprised that thing have gotten quiet as they need to make a final decision as to when and how the vessel will be scrapped.

Possible things to take into account:

1. Does Italy have a big enough scrap yard to do the jobs required?

2. There has been some talk of setting up a new yard, nearby to handle the job. That will be very expensive, just to build the yard. It could be the underwriters and Costa are reaching their limits and don't want the extra expenses of building a scrap yard as well.

I was reading a article not to long ago that the various underwriters were reaching their limits on the policies, which means the remaining salvage costs are going to start coming out of Costa/Carnival Inc. pocket.

3. Is Italy willing to let the vessel go to a already built and big enough scrap yard, to do the job outside of Italy? Turkey? or the middle east?

Just some thoughts and only my opinion, ... Time will tell!

AKK Edited by Tonka's Skipper

Hi Tonka .... Hopefully information will be coming out tomorrow about the plans for the ship, currently as far as i know Italy does not have a facility for the dismantling of ships.

As you say to build one or dredge out and build one will cost millions of Euros, so the tow away to another country just now looks as if it may be the only way.

[quote name='sidari']Hi Tonka .... Hopefully information will be coming out tomorrow about the plans for the ship, currently as far as i know Italy does not have a facility for the dismantling of ships.

As you say to build one or dredge out and build one will cost millions of Euros, so the tow away to another country just now looks as if it may be the only way.[/QUOTE]

Hi there Buddy!

You hit it right on the head, I agree, I believe it will be towed off to another country.

AKK

THE wreck of the Costa Concordia cruise liner is to be inspected for the first time since its fatal 2012 accident, after an Italian judge agreed to let experts climb aboard to collect fresh evidence.

On January 23, a delegation is to inspect the bridge of the vessel to check for any remaining electronic apparatus and to look at the on-board lifts.

[url]http://www.news.com.au/world/breaking-news/concordia-wreck-to-be-examined/story-e6frfkui-1226798629205[/url]

I don't believe in any way, shape or form that the Master is being made a scape goat, there is more then enough evidence to prove him guilty of many charges.

This is more just setting up the civil actions in the future. what happens in these actions may yet have the Concordia sinking Costa and maybe Carnival Inc.

That said, many of us, myself included have felt that Carnival Inc., Costa and other vessel officers and hotel staff crew members have a piece of the blame, civilly and criminally.

The operational and safety policies and actions taken by some of office and executive staff of Carnival Inc. and Costas all helped cause this tragedy!

AKK

Please find the following link from the press conference.

A couple of points of interest, It appears Costa still own the wreck, which I cant understand after the money paid out by the insurers.

There are 12 potential sites for the wreck to be towed to. Not sure its in this particular but it was announced that survivors are to be contacted soon about their belonging which have been recovered.

http://news.sky.com/story/1193102/costa-concordia-may-be-towed-to-middlesbrough

A couple of points of interest, It appears Costa still own the wreck, which I cant understand after the money paid out by the insurers.

There are 12 potential sites for the wreck to be towed to. Not sure its in this particular but it was announced that survivors are to be contacted soon about their belonging which have been recovered.

Thanks for the link Clive. So it looks like the schedule for lifting off the underwater platforms is the end of June. I didn't see anything as to how it will be towed though, whether they are still thinking about using a heavy lift ship to move it to the scrapping port.

Costa could still own the wreck because the insurance companies wrote the policy to pay out for total loss of use but specifically does not transfer title to them.

That way insurance comapnies would not become liable for salvage and removal costs or fines and penalties.

Edited by Uniall

Hi Clive and Anna.

The ownership thing is simply, Who owns the wreck is responsible for it!

AKK

Costa could still own the wreck because the insurance companies wrote the policy to pay out for total loss of use but specifically does not transfer title to them.

That way insurance comapnies would not become liable for salvage and removal costs or fines and penalties.

oops....I should have read down , you had it Uniall!

Italy, Turkey Holland, France and England have been listed as possibles for the scrapping operation.

As Holland, France and England would involve a tow across the Bay of Biscay wouldn't that give Italy and Turkey a favoured position?

Sailing the Bay of Biscay?

I don't see a problem ;-)

The Bay of Biscay can indeed be a very big problem. The weather and waves coming in off the Atlantic have been known to break ships backs. A vessel as weakened as the Concordia would be susceptible to this type of weather and seas.

If going this way a piggy back ride on lift ship would be best.

Is it 8impossible?.......no..................but such a passage would require lots of pre planning and watching the weather to determine the safest transit.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

I was wondering how it was going to be moved to the scrapping port once raised off the platform. I found this in Giglio News that answers that question:

"If the port will be close - again emphasized Gabrielli - the removal will occur with towing, where the port will be more distant the wreck will be placed at an intermediate port, and then carried away with the Vanguard at the port of final destination."

"The latest video shot from drones of the Costa Concordia wreckage off Giglio Island in Italy. The video shows how little of the wreckage is above the water now that the ship has been righted. In the video, as the drone flies around the starboard side of the vessel (nearest the land), it shows the damage and discoloration caused when the ship rested on that side underwater for more than a year."
Edited by cruiserfanfromct

Indeed it is Mickey.

Our thoughts are with all those on board Costa Concordia on that horrible night, their families and friends. Especially to Russel and his family still awaiting closure.

If you think it might be cathartic for you to share your thoughts and feelings about everything that has happened I know we would all be interested to hear it.

I read, the other day, that 405 safes from cabins now above the water line have been recovered and are having an inventory made before the passengers belongings are returned to them. I wonder if you hope to be among those passengers.

Very Best Wishes and please feel our love on this difficult day for you.

Clive

2 Years Today:(

Mickey_d, thought about you yesterday. It must still be difficult even now but I hope you have found some way to come to terms with what you and your family went through.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There's been a few articles written about the 2nd Anniversary. This one seemed to cover various points with where things are now.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/01/13/two-years-on-costa-concordia-remains-the-wreck-italy-can-t-forget.html

Edited by SomeBeach

Didn't think we'd see any more of these drone videos. Thanks for sharing.

The 2nd Anniversary has come and gone. For the many survivors it was probably a most difficult day.

I've read a few articles as to where things are now. This one seemed to offer the most various points of interest.

A side note: lawyers strike has once again stopped proceedings in Italy. Trial scheduled to start again Jan 27th.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/01/13/two-years-on-costa-concordia-remains-the-wreck-italy-can-t-forget.html