On Board Credit Card Charges

Can anybody tell me that if you book a long cruise, which can be booked in several segments, if they charge your credit card for any onboard purchases after each segment. We have booked the cruise as a one long one rather than segments.

Also, we will become Elite during the second segment. Will we get the coveted " black card " on the third segment or do we have to wait until the end of the cruise ?

Can anybody tell me that if you book a long cruise, which can be booked in several segments, if they charge your credit card for any onboard purchases after each segment. We have booked the cruise as a one long one rather than segments.

Also, we will become Elite during the second segment. Will we get the coveted " black card " on the third segment or do we have to wait until the end of the cruise ?

Depends upon the way, and with whom you booked..

But, according to the cruiseline, it is probably back to back cruises , (B2B), that you have, which to the cruiseline, is 2 separate cruises.

What cruise-line are you booked with?

Different names for different lines.. Elite with who?

Normally, new status is only available after each saleable seperate cruise.

P

As you mention 'Elite' I assume you mean Princess. You mentioned you have booked your cruise as one cruise, not as separate cruises with different booking numbers. The result is that I believe your on-board account will cover your whole cruise. :) You mention that you will reach Elite status during the cruise, but unfortunately Princess will then award you this status only at the completion of the cruise. If you were booked in separate segments, it would happen at the end of the relevant segment.

Thanks for your replies.

I need to know in advance so that I can make sure that if our credit card is charged after each segment that we are financially prepared in our bank accounts.

I thought I might have to keep doing the washing for a while yet lol :rolleyes

Will just have to do another cruise with Princess after our long one to take advantage of the " perks " :D

Hi, I did the World Cruise last year on the Dawn Princess. I only went to Dover but the first segment was Sydney to Dubai, then Dubai to Dover. Once we all got to Dubai our credit cards were charged. As I had pre-booked a number of Princess cruises even ones past Dubai, they were all charged after the first sector (Dubai). So that credit card charge was a biggy but the end one at Dover, not so bad at all. As far as getting your elite, once you get to the third sector they will supply you with your black card.

With Princess if you book multiple legs or B to B cruises they charge your Credit Card and furnish you with an account after each leg .

The OP said they booked the cruise as one cruise, but that it is also available in segments. :D They didn't say they booked a back to back - that is quite different. I believe if they have booked the cruise that has one cruise number and their booking has one booking number, then it would be treated as one cruise and I believe the charges would be at the end.

A Princess cruise we did to Tahiti was similar to what I understand the OP has booked. We booked our cruise as one cruise and it later became available as two segments finishing and starting in Papeete. Our cruise was treated as one cruise. We would have been eligible for Elite status on the second half if we had booked it as two cruises. (This was our first Princess cruise). We paid the credit card at the end of the 28 nights when we were arriving back into Sydney.

With Princess if you book multiple legs or B to B cruises they charge your Credit Card and furnish you with an account after each leg .

i agree with AT the OP stated he booked the cruise as one so they wont receive the account until they reach Sydney but they may put holds on his card to make sure princess gets paid and he will receive his elite card at the end of the cruise

we did a 35 nighter to Hawaii and we reached elite at Hawaii but we had to wait until we got back to Sydney to get the elite card and they had 2 sectors on the cruise

This from Princess site and should also apply to your trip. Ring Princess if still unsure because of conflicting advice here :)

"World Cruise Sectors

During World Cruise voyages, credit cards are settled/charged at the end of each sector. This means the interest free period that banks normally offer for payment of accounts may expire by the time you return home. If you are travelling on long sectors or the full voyage, you are advised to set up an automatic payment with your bank."

And definitely had friends turn black before Dubai who got the cards in Dubai. So enjoy yours for part of your trip

This from Princess site and should also apply to your trip. Ring Princess if still unsure because of conflicting advice here :)

"World Cruise Sectors

During World Cruise voyages, credit cards are settled/charged at the end of each sector. This means the interest free period that banks normally offer for payment of accounts may expire by the time you return home. If you are travelling on long sectors or the full voyage, you are advised to set up an automatic payment with your bank."

And definitely had friends turn black before Dubai who got the cards in Dubai. So enjoy yours for part of your trip

That is interesting. It look as if it is different for a World Cruise voyage than for other cruises. I am not sure which cruise the OP is referring to.:)

The advice that he/she should check with Princess is good advice, depending on which cruise is referred to.:)

That is interesting. It look as if it is different for a World Cruise voyage than for other cruises. I am not sure which cruise the OP is referring to.:)

The advice that he/she should check with Princess is good advice, depending on which cruise is referred to.:)

The cruise is the July 2012 Dawn Princess Grand Pacific World cruise.

Again, thanks for all the replies. I will ring Princess to get clarification :)

Liz

Archived