Overweight luggage; never again

derf5585

That's fishy

What's fishy about not having a scale in my household? :confused: If I had a scale in my household I would be on that thing after every single meal. It's not healthy for me to get so worked up over my weight but I do. To avoid that I have no scales.

If we need to know what our luggage weighs we can always borrow a neighbors scale or play the guessing game and hope that luggage is not over weight.

We always put our heavier clothes in the smaller suitcase and the light stuff in the largest one. This way we always stay under the limit. It always helps to have a lightweight nylon duffle bag to put extra items in if you are overweight. It is always funny to see all of these people in the check in line at the airport with their suitcases open and shuffling clothes, shoes etc. Of course I have done the same thing, but we usually do it in parking garage.

Shoes are the things that usually get us all in trouble. Men's sandals weigh about 5 pounds each!

Just flew back on Southwest from Orlando last week and they charged $25 for an overweight bag. Their limit is 50 lbs. Although the same bag was tagged as "Heavy" when we left Baltimorea a few days prior, we weren't charged at that time, only on the return flight. I think this bag weighs 40 pounds empty so we may never use it again!!!

I think it was because when we left Baltimore we checked in curbside and the porters at the check-in stand at the curb are a little more forgiving than the counter staff inside the airport where we checked in at Orlando for our return flight. Of course the tip to the porters probably didn't hurt.

We're flying Delta to FLL for a cruise in July on the Caribbean Princess and we will make sure to split up our belongings into carry-ons and carry some expandable duffles just in case we load up on junk from the islands.

We just used JetBlue from Boston to FLL. One bag weighed 61 pounds. DH insisted on getting a bigger rollon.:D They did put a heavy tag on it and I left it on for the guys at the embakation area. :)

Came home Delta (Song) - no problems. That was April 2nd and 10th

So they should add the weights of the luggage and passenger together and charge them accordion.

:D I think they charge them in dollars and not accordions!!!!!! :D

My husband works for an airline and they are really p***ed that the govt has changed the new weight system. Out here they use props and regional jets. With the heat in the summer sometimes they have to limit passengers and luggage. It's a real pain in the butt. Passengers are made of course. This all happened after that one plane crashed and they tried blaming it on weight. This is another reason to get to the small airports early and get checked in. Hopefully you won't get bumped.

"Doctrd, that's 50 lbs per bag and each of you is allowed two bags. Are you saying that you can't get by for three weeks with 200 lbs of clothes and misc items?"

Yea that's what I'm saying. We pack 4 suitcases, weight them at exactly 49.5 lbs (digital scale), have a regular size suitcase carryon each, AND I bring a backpack stuffed, wife brings largest purse she can get away with.

Last time I had to leave back my fins, and a small coffee maker.

Yes, the coffe on Golden is as horrible as I have heard, I was prepared, but it had to go when I was overweight with the bag.

BTY, just got a few new pics on my web site:

http://community.webshots.com/album/326702741EOULWE

Back in my old fixed-wing days, when you figured weight and balance of your aircraft you used a standard of 170 pounds per passenger ... making allowances for those who were not "standard" size. Now just wait until the airlines again toss up the idea of charging extra for "fluffy" passengers!

It bothers me that the website selling these scales neglect to say how much the scales themselve weigh.....you would need to keep that in mind if you were really cutting things close. :eek:

It bothers me that the website selling these scales neglect to say how much the scales themselve weigh.....you would need to keep that in mind if you were really cutting things close. :eek:

If you are talking about spring scales the weight is "zeroed" out. One of their main uses is to weigh fire extinguishers. Charged is one weight empty is another so they better be accurate.

No, I mean how much does the scale itself weigh....say it weighs 3 lbs, then the weight of the packed suitcase cannot exceed 47 lbs because once you weigh the suitcase you have to pack the scale in there too!!

No, I mean how much does the scale itself weigh....say it weighs 3 lbs, then the weight of the packed suitcase cannot exceed 47 lbs because once you weigh the suitcase you have to pack the scale in there too!!

Oh, I understand. Just stash it in the lowest weight suitcase. Or caryon.

I would guess it weighs les than a pound - If you are that concerned - carry it in your pocket.

BTW - the weight of your luggage includes the weight of the luggage itself - so - if you have expensive well built luggage it will weigh more than the cheap stuff.

Ron

"Doctrd, that's 50 lbs per bag and each of you is allowed two bags. Are you saying that you can't get by for three weeks with 200 lbs of clothes and misc items?"

Yea that's what I'm saying. We pack 4 suitcases, weight them at exactly 49.5 lbs (digital scale), have a regular size suitcase carryon each, AND I bring a backpack stuffed, wife brings largest purse she can get away with.

Last time I had to leave back my fins, and a small coffee maker.

:D Believe it or not we went on the Starclipper this year and since no formal wear was needed, my husband said we were taking our carryon rollaboard and his Swiss army rolling carryon. Also we each had a smaller carryon about the sizes of a computer case. We took clothes for a 7 day cruise and a 3 day precruise. We took our full foot fins since the other ones are too long, and mask and snorkel. I layed out clothes in 3 piles really need, would like to have, maybe if there is room. Well the really need pile got smaller and we did it. This was the lightest we travelled for a cruise. Also first time I could say I wore everything. SO IT CAN BE DONE WITH LESS. :D

Ron - I looked at that one before I bought mine. I didn't like the needle as well as the digital scale. You have to be very steady with the needle one.

BTW - you can buy fish scales (or luggage scales) locally. I ended up buying mine at Walmart (both digital and needle ones were available).

When I was checking in for a flight out of San Diego after a cruise (curbside checkin-Alaska Airlines), they weighed my bag and it was about 70lbs. He said he would have to charge me $25. The he said if I wanted he had a box I could have...so I repacked on the sidewalk outside the terminal...he then found some tape and proceeded to tape up the box for me. He got a nice tip and a happy customer for being so helpful.

don't laugh but i had my carryon luggage weighed and was told i had to take items out of it because it was 23 lbs. They first told me to check it or leave it but i had video and still cameras, stereo and jewelry in it and wasn't about to check it so be careful with all luggage. I may have to take 2 for a 7day cruise now since i have heavy sequined gowns that way 5- 10 pounds each.lol

Archived