Juneau/Mendenhall Glacier questions.

Figsgrandma

On our upcoming Alaskan cruise, we will be in Juneau between 1 pm and 10 pm on June 1st. Based on some things I had read on this board, I was considering taking the MGT shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier so that we could spend as much time as we like there before returning to port. I note from the MGT website that the last shuttle is at 6:30 pm (I assume that's returning to Juneau, since I don't suppose they take you there and just leave you). Since I'm not sure how soon after docking we'll be able to leave the ship, I'm wondering if this is doable.

I would also like to do something additional while in Juneau, but be back on the ship for dinner at 8 or 8:30 - perhaps take the Mount Roberts Tramway.

Does anyone have any comments? I don't want to feel rushed, be worrying about not getting back to the ship on time, etc.

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Laurel

About an hour at the glacier will be enough. For sure worth doing, we are doing it again this year, except we rented a car this time... there are five of us. Go by mid afternoon, then come back to town.

I agree with the above in that we also took about an hour to see and visit the glacier and visitors center. Most of the ships dock near the town and there is plenty of shops to look around. Also the tram is right there and as I understand there is some trails to walk around up there and views.

Marilyn

If you are doing anything more than just a look at Mendenhall, yes an hour is about right. For a bit longer consider the Interpretive trail out back of the visitor center, pick up a guide sheet. This end up near the shuttle bus stop. At times there can be significant lines for buses. Were you looking at more that that at the glacier?? Downtown, pick up a walking tour map. 2 excellent downtown museums if of interest and the state capital. Mt. Roberts has several trails and the ticket is good for all day. With being in port late ride back up at dark, very nice view. Buy your ticket at the dock, it's not worth going if no visability. MGT also has a good bus TOUR including a short stop at Mendenhall Glacier running about $20. Gives a good downtown narration, stops at Mendenhall, Chapel on the Lake at Alaska U, and a stop on Douglas Island. This may be adjusted certainly. Just another budget option for a good tour. :)

Hi, Budget Queen,

My husband and I like to walk - both at home and on vacation. So, if the weather's good, and there's time, we'd probably like to spend time on a self-guided walk at Mendenhall. Similarly I had thought that before reboarding the ship, we could take the Mt. Robert Tram and and spend some time up there.

I guess it will all depend on how much we do and how tired we are. I'm really looking forward to this trip, which is now only 6 weeks away!

Thanks for all your help.

Laurel

If you like to walk, I like Skagway the best. There's some nice Alaska hiking trails off to the left of the cruise ship terminals. Anyway my wife & I decided to pass on Mendenhall Glacier--the reason is we saw so many doggone glaciers during our land tour we were like....oh wow....another glacier..... We decided to hit up the Juneau City & Alaska State Museum instead.

The trail I think you are referring to is the Dewey Trail System? You can get a map of the trails at the Ranger Station. Trail begins from Third St and it's a great hike up to Lower Dewey Lake... there's a lot to do in Skagway so IMHO only I'd plan an excursion (independent or ship) and then save time for the hike.

For clairfication the Dewey trailhead is between 3-4 th across the tracks, on the RIGHT looking from the cruise ships. The Chilkoot trail is off the Dyea Road on the LEFT of Skagway again looking from the cruise ships.

Here are the Mendenhall tails to consider- http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/trails.html

I took the Chilkoot trail. Dewey trail I thought was a little too strenuous for our older crowd. Either way, what I like about hiking is it's free--a welcome change amidst all the overpriced Skagway stuff--and you see tons and tons of fireweed.

Archived