Jewel Service Fees

Logbog

Besides, it would be just about impossible to find the people who wash the sheets, towels, and other linens, those who clear and wash the dishes, those who clean the carpet, stairwells, elevators, those who work the service desk, not to mention your room steward, table servers, etc. etc. etc. It is my understanding that the small $12 pp charge is spread out to many.

What some fail to realize when this subject comes up is that some of these against-DSC-posters do not think of these crew members (behind the scene) as requiring a tip, they only wish to tip the people that directly serve them. Hence the reason some of the against-DSC-posters say "they wish to tip as they go". So if they are for real* and if this is the method they wish to use then they are only tipping staff they see and thats all they wish to tip. They are also the same people that don't realize that tipping in some restaurant settings on land also will have their tip being pooled for behind the scenes employees.

What they seem to fail to realize is that even if that is their intention (to tip only those they see and wish them to get that tip) that because of the DSC system that it will still go into the same pool in which they are trying to avoid. So in the end it all lands in the same place, it just gets there in a rather round about way and causes a lot of headaches for all.

* I say if they are "for real" because I'd put money that a lot of the thread starters are just trying to stir the pot. I am not accusing the OP of this or not saying they aren't. Just saying IMO some are.

I have a related question for those cross-cruiseline vacationers.

I realized that most of the mainstream cruiselines have either the option of service charges or direct tipping. But some still don't or some appear to use both.

So my question is this. The cruiselines that you envelope tip your waiter/ess, room steward individually. What happens with the indirect behind the scenes crew. Do they do without a tip on those lines? Does the waiter/ess you tip have to split his/her tip with the dishwashers and busboy?

@Logbog (Old style cruiser) -

If I read you right, it is not the money but the method, yes? It might be good for you just to get with the program and let NCL worry about the distribution. And you will still be able to recognize special service "above and beyond" via your comment card. Aw, go ahead and just do it. J.

via iPod touch and Tapatalk.

Nicely put. I also believe he isn't trying to stiff anyone, rather give the personal touch. Which is fine but may I also suggest pre-paying the gratuities and if you find that you have received service worth a bit more recognition than do so on a personal level.

I have a related question for those cross-cruiseline vacationers.

I realized that most of the mainstream cruiselines have either the option of service charges or direct tipping. But some still don't or some appear to use both.

So my question is this. The cruiselines that you envelope tip your waiter/ess, room steward individually. What happens with the indirect behind the scenes crew. Do they do without a tip on those lines? Does the waiter/ess you tip have to split his/her tip with the dishwashers and busboy?

Usually front-line staff would "tip-out" the back-of-house staff.

Now gee Stephen, I believe I just told you bright and early this morning that I live in a "cornfieldtown" like place :D, not the big metro of TO. Can you use terms that I may understand. tip-out? back-of-house staff?

Does this mean that the front-line tipped crew share their tips with the behind-the-scenes?

Correct. In fact you'll find this item buried in Royal Caribbean's tipping FAQ:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Gratuities&faqId=263&faqSubjectId=415&faqType=faq

Notice to guests: Gratuities may be shared with other crew members depending on the particular service requirement.

Royal Caribbean's sister cruise line, Celebrity, makes a similar statement in its tipping FAQ.

Correct. In fact you'll find this item buried in Royal Caribbean's tipping FAQ:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Gratuities&faqId=263&faqSubjectId=415&faqType=faq

Notice to guests: Gratuities may be shared with other crew members depending on the particular service requirement.

Thanks, then doesn't that make the argument that some use "I want my tips to go to the person I want to have them" somewhat silly? JMO

Now gee Stephen, I believe I just told you bright and early this morning that I live in a "cornfieldtown" like place :D, not the big metro of TO. Can you use terms that I may understand. tip-out? back-of-house staff?

Does this mean that the front-line tipped crew share their tips with the behind-the-scenes?

Yes

I'm thinking of creating a NEW thread that starts with links to about 30 discussion threads on this topic, then putting a link in my signature line.

Then maybe one related to carrying water and soda on board :p

Somewhat disappointing this is only generating 2 pages so far. DSC arguments normal go 4 pages or more. <G>

Maybe if I point that RCCL has sliding scale depending on the cabin class your in, NCL's get a break and pay the same as the steerage class cruisers, maybe we can get a few extra pgs.

Oh and RCCL requires some to prepay their charges depending on who/how (their vers of freestyle and groups mostly) you booked. Their charges suggested are higher as below, but you do get pay in env with cash.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/custom...15&faqType=faq

Per day / per person:

Waiter: $3.75

Assistant Waiter: $2.15

Head Waiter - 75 cents

Suite Attendanct/Housekeeping - $7.25

(I assume you pay the above if in a suite, if in a regular room it is $5.00)

Waiter:$3.75 USDa day per guestAssistant Waiter:$2.15 USDa day per guestHead Waiter:$.75 USDa day per guestStateroom Attendant/

Other Housekeeping Services:$5.00 USDa day per guestSuite Attendant/

Other Housekeeping Services:$7.25 USDa day per guest

Total: $13.90 per person per day (or $27.80 for two) and the total for two for a week is $194.60

Somewhat disappointing this is only generating 2 pages so far. DSC arguments normal go 4 pages or more. <G>

I believe the reason the arguing has lessened is because I have proven over the last few weeks that you can adjust the DSC for no stated reason. People on the boards loved to argue that you could not or that you need a very good service related issue. That is simply not the case as shown in the cruise contract.

Now the argument seems to just center on the fact that you shouldn't reduce the DSC for any reason, even if you can. That of course is just personal opinion, not fact.

Either way I am happy to help educate my fellow CC members.

I believe the reason the arguing has lessened is because I have proven over the last few weeks that you can adjust the DSC for no stated reason.

No, the reason the arguing has lessened is that in the hopes of ignoring the "occupiers" they just go away.

yes you can remove the DSC(NCL changed the language about a year ago- I think it had to do with the taxing authorities who said if its mandatory its subject to being taxed-in the US about 1/2 of 1% is added as a real tax). It also had to do with the fact they combined the language of the NCL America ship(Pride of America) and the foreign flagged ships on one website instead of two.

Should you remove it? is a different issue and personal one.

Tipping out means simply that out of the tips you get directing you share(tip out) to others. So traditionally on landside restaurants the wait staff tips out the line chefs and dishwashers- sometimes. On cruise ships the traditionally tipped staff tipped out the people who provide them service. For the wait staff that is the line chef(the people who cook the food-not the head chef) and the dishwashers(or you won't have clean silverware) and the asst head waiter/martreD(who is responsible for training and assignments). The room cleaning staff tipped out the laundry room(linen), the supply room(fresh linen) and the asst head housekeeper among some of them.

BTW I really don't like encouraging the real cheapos out there who in general aren't really asking this question because they want to tip directly they are really trying out how to tip less or not at all because its not their way-or because they are really just cheap. For them no amount of peer pressure or tradition will stop them from doing everything they can to save a few cents at the expense of the people who really serve them. After all its not the corporate cruise line you are shorting but the staff that has serve you and the people who serve them.

If you don't know it, on cruise ships its also the tradition that the crew tips the people who serve them. So that the person who cleans the rooms for the cruise staff(yes their rooms are cleaned too) are also tipped by the crew and the captain who is served his food also tips the staff.

I am just off a jewel class ship with a total of 5 who I was paying for including a 3 and 4 year old(in the same room as their divorced father-my son) who for 10 days cost $600 in tips without extras. I had considered for the younger one removing it for a number of reasons. A couple of years ago when the DSC for adults went from 10 to 12 dollars the 3-12 year olds went from 5 to 12. Since there were three in the room the additional amount of work for the steward isn't that great(and my son about half the time didn't either have the boys-they were in our room or he didn't let them in until he had a chance to get the room in some semblance of order). In the end I left it on after soul searching what I post here and gave extra to our stewardess for the fact she had to clean up extra when the boys were with us(if you have to ask I left her $50 extra).

I also wound up tipping a total of $300 extra for the kids crew, concierge(who we have access to because we are platinum latitudes) and some other extras. worth every penny but not required.

Maybe if I point that RCCL has sliding scale depending on the cabin class your in, NCL's get a break and pay the same as the steerage class cruisers, maybe we can get a few extra pgs.

2 people in an inside cabin = 2 people.

2 people in a balcony cabin = 2 people

2 people in a suite = 2 people.

DSC is a per person charge.

I believe the reason the arguing has lessened is because I have proven over the last few weeks that you can adjust the DSC for no stated reason. People on the boards loved to argue that you could not or that you need a very good service related issue. That is simply not the case as shown in the cruise contract.

Now the argument seems to just center on the fact that you shouldn't reduce the DSC for any reason, even if you can. That of course is just personal opinion, not fact.

Either way I am happy to help educate my fellow CC members.

I don't believe that what you're doing would/should be called education. Fomenting would be a more appropriate description.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

When someone asks "can I?", it's clear that they don't necessarily have a clear understanding of the impact.

Since CC caters to people worldwide, and customs differ...there's nothing wrong with saying "You can, but here's why you might want to reconsider."

If you do their freestyle dining choice it is auto added and must be prepaid

Other wise you use cash and env and you may or may not follow the guide lines per your own view on all this. So if you really hate to tip as your to cheap, do not believe in or want to set your own value sail RCCL. But even then if you want their freestyle dinning they will add it also.

RCCL suggested gratuity guidelines take in account our crew members that work hard to provide and maintain the highest level of service while sailing the high seas. Whether working behind the scenes or serving your evening meal, our staff and crew make sure you enjoy every moment spent onboard a Royal Caribbean cruise ship.

The daily amounts below have been calculated with this in mind. For new bookings that set sail on or after July 1, 2011, the suggested gratuities are:

Waiter: $3.75 USD a day per guest

Assistant Waiter: $2.15 USD a day per guest

Head Waiter: $.75 USD a day per guest

Stateroom Attendant/

Other Housekeeping Services: $5.00 USD a day per guest

Suite Attendant/

Other Housekeeping Services: $7.25 USD a day per guest

Gratuities are voluntary and at the discretion of each guest. These guidelines serve as suggestions to help guest express their gratitude for the outstanding service they experience on their Royal Caribbean cruise vacation.

Note: These gratuities apply to guests of all ages. Gratuities for other service personnel are at your discretion. A 15% gratuity will automatically be added to any purchases in the bar, dining room, spa services and salon services.

Envelopes for gratuities will be provided in your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Gratuities may be paid in the following ways:

Pre-paid by having them added to your reservation by your booking agent.

Added to your onboard SeaPass account.

Paid in cash at the end of the cruise

Q: Am I required to pay these adjusted totals?

A: Gratuities are at the discretion of each guest. These guidelines serve as recommendations to help guests express their gratitude for the outstanding service they experience on their cruise vacation, from members of the dining and housekeeping staff. We hope you find these suggested totals to be an accurate reflection of your satisfaction, and thank you for your generous recognition of the Royal Caribbean staff.

We are adjusting our recommended gratuities guideline for sailings that commence on or after July 1, 2011. This will be Royal Caribbean?s first gratuities guideline adjustment in 13 years. This adjustment is the result of a long period of consideration and assessment that places our recommendations in line with our competitors.

Our adjusted recommendations put us in line with our competitors. Our new suggested daily totals are in the middle range when compared to competitors' suggestions.

Gratuities are at the discretion of each guest. Royal Caribbean does not automatically add gratuities to guest accounts. Only those guests who have signed up for My Time Dining will continue to have their gratuities added to their account.

I don't believe that what you're doing would/should be called education. Fomenting would be a more appropriate description.

Knowledge is power. I foment free choice. The more knowledge you have the more choice you have. Adjusting the DSC is a personal choice. I just want people to know that they do indeed have that choice.

Knowledge is power. I foment free choice. The more knowledge you have the more choice you have. Adjusting the DSC is a personal choice. I just want people to know that they do indeed have that choice.

And I want everyone to know that if they exercise that choice, the cruiseline will suffer because they cannot retain talented staff, the staff will suffer because this isn't "supplemental" income, it's their core earnings, and that they will suffer, because karma doesn't forget.

:)

This may be true if you had traditional dining. Celebrity is now offering Select Dining which is their attempt at freestyle. For that you must' date=' in fact, pre-pay your svc chg. and it cannot be touched. You can, of course, tip extra, just like NCL.

They will not even let you into the Select Dining part of the MDR unless they check your cabin number and verify you've prepaid. I had quite the time when I planned a solo dinner for formal night on Silhouette for 8 of us and it was a real hassle getting the hostess to agree to allow one of them to join because they were in traditional and, therefore, not pre-paid. We finally settled on, "I'll make an exception just this once."

Back to NCL but just wanted to clarify, not that we're comparing one line against another.

NCL's system, whether it's Jewel or any other ship, works fine for us.:)[/quote']

Hi Barb, How are you? Are you going on this trip? We are doing the 12 day on Jewel on Jan 6, 2013. It would be great to see you again!

Archived